question

valden avatar image
valden asked

Cerbo firmware update for DVCC integration of Arco Zeus alternator regulator

Hello Victron experts.

I am about to install a second alternator onto a Volvo Penta D2-75 engine in a yacht which has a full suite of Victron battery system equipment. The Arco Zeus is shaping up as an ideal regulator for controlling this additional alternator. I am hearing that a firmware update for the Cerbo is planned for release in April 24, which will integrate the Arco Zeus into the Cerbo's DVCC protocol, as well as provide current and voltage information from the Smart Shunt through to the Arco Zeus. Great!

My question is, how confident is the team preparing the Cerbo firmware update that it will be available for users by the end of April? If not by then, when? This timing is important for expedition planning and departure.

Am I right in understanding that the beta version of the Cerbo firmware update provides for transmission of current and voltage information to the Arco Zeus, but not DVCC?

If current and voltage information is presently available to the Arco Zeus over CAN using beta firmware, I'm thinking that the Zeus will be able to provide basic control of the second alternator, pending full DVCC integration at a later stage. Thoughts?

Thank you.

cerbo gxSmartShuntfirmware updatealternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

Please read the community guidelines.

In product development while plans can be made you don't know what you don't know.

1000031997.jpg

1000031997.jpg (393.8 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

valden avatar image valden commented ·

Thanks for this reply Alexandra.

Is it possible for me to view available beta versions of firmware somewhere on the Victron website, or is this only possible via the Victron Connect app and/or Victron devices?

I recall using the Cerbo and Touch 50 to inspect available beta versions, but decided to wait for final versions. Thanks for clues on this. :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ valden commented ·

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/272334/tips-for-beta-testers-how-to-ask-questions-and-get.html

There are dedicated threads in the modification section for each version. The latest concerns are often a sticky at the top of the page. With comments on issues for each one.

It's a good long read to work through it all.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ valden commented ·

I'll add to this - "it depends". If you have a Lynx Smart BMS and a Cerbo on the system, you should already be covered:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0110/9521/2098/files/ARCO_Zeus_Victron_IntegrationGuide_R4.pdf?v=1710361424

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that it's a Zeus FW update that you'd be waiting for rather than a Venus OS update for the Cerbo; Venus OS 3.14 already added comms for the Zeus back in January, so it should just be up to ARCO now to implement the rest of the integration. Hard to tell since ARCO has varying information posted in varying places, and lots of "I heard this or that" out on the forums without clear information from the manufacturer themselves, but either way it does appear that full integration capabilities are in development if not already in place.

0 Likes 0 ·
valden avatar image valden Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Justin. I spoke with Arco technical people. If I understood correctly, they have finished their effort on CAN, including for DVCC and handed over to Victron to finalise their side of the integration, to then release a formal firmware update for the Cerbo/Venus OS. We will see, in time.

I'm encouraged to hear that some comms for Zeus is already included in presently available firmware updates. The system I'm working with has a Cerbo & Smart Shunt, but not a Lynx Smart BMS. This should still be workable with Zeus, as it's the Smart Shunt that generates the current and voltage data that Zeus needs. And, it's the Cerbo that communicates that data and delivers DVCC in my system.

0 Likes 0 ·