question

kev3180 avatar image
kev3180 asked

Problems with VM-3P75CT (firmware update not possible, usage not possible)

Hi,

I've got a VM-3P75CT connected via Ethernet that was delivered with Firmware v1.01-beta-55.

The Smart Meter obtained an IP and is recognized by Victron Connect App (iOS and Windows) but cannot be used by the Cerbo GX.

In the device overview of Victron Connect I can see the total consumption including L1/2/3, but when selecting the Smart Meter the System informs me that there is a mandatory update available (v1.03) and I have to update to use the device.

After hitting the update button the progress will jump to 5% (LED of Smart Meter is flashing greena and red) and after that the network connectivity dies and the smart meter reboots. Update not possible.

When trying to update via VRM the systems throws the following error messages:

"Warnung: Access denied for this command"

and

"Beim Aktualisierungsvorgang ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Bitte versuchen Sie es später erneut!

Error Message: xupt-89

Error: xupt-89"

At the moment it seems that I have no possibility to update or to use the Smart Meter, so can you push me into the right direction to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

firmware updateEnergy MeterHelpvrm firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/245131/how-can-i-update-vm-3p75.html

Can you try connecting the energy meter via VE.Can to the GX device?

10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kev3180 avatar image kev3180 commented ·
Hi,

thanks for responding!

I tried to connect the energy meter via VE.Can (but due to the fact that the GX device is located in another building (utlity shed with all the solar components) I had to use two cables with a cable clutch and I am not sure how sturdy the VE.Can connection is?

Anyways, after connecting the energy meter (one VE.Can port was used by RS450 the other was used by the energy meter, both devices got the termination plug plugged in on the other port) I was not able to see the energy meter anywhere (but the RS450 was visible).

In VRM the energy meter only shows up when connected directly via Ethernet...

I could try to build a new cable tomorrow, if it would be no problem for the VE.Can connection to run over approx. 35 meters (5 meter patch cable and 30 meters installation cable with two keystones)

Thanks and regards,

Kev

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ kev3180 commented ·

Can't you bring the meter closer to the GX device?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Hey both, if you enable Remote Support on the system, (and leave it connected to Ethernet), then I can see what I can do when logging in.

It should just work out of the box, and shipping with beta version is not good either: it would be great to be able to see for ourselves what is going wrong here.

0 Likes 0 ·
kev3180 avatar image kev3180 mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi,

I just activated the remote support for our installation.

Thanks you very much!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ kev3180 commented ·
Ok; will login later tonight and keep you posted.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

to be clear, I mean leave the Energy Meter connected to ethernet.

0 Likes 0 ·

Yepp, I will not unplug any of the devices

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ kev3180 commented ·
Hi again, I couldn't fix it, but did get some more details for a colleague to look into it.

We'll contact you next week; I'd expect Monday or Tuesday - sorry for the trouble!

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi,

we chose to dismount the GX device today from its final destination and took it to the energy meter.

With direct VE.Can connection with a 1 meter cable the energy meter was discovered instantly and I was able to perform an update via VRM.

Afterwards the energy meter was discovered via eth connection and after mounting the GX device at its final destination again the energy meter was still connected and usable via eth connection.

Maybe it would still be interesting to check why there was beta firmware installed on our smart meter if it was not intended to be...

Anyways, from my side the topic can be closed for the moment since the deployment is working now.

Thanks for your time and support!

Best regards,

Kev

0 Likes 0 ·
Good that it works!

We’ll indeed be looking at the beta firmware and why the update didn’t work.

0 Likes 0 ·
gni avatar image
gni answered ·

Same issue here, unit is shipped with beta firmware. v1.01-beta-55. update is mandatory. update failes at 5%..So now i have to find a GX unit I understand ?

2 comments
2 |3000

Hey @Gni , perhaps. But I do know we’ve made good progress in solving an issue related to updating over ethernet past week.

I’ll find out and post back here next week.

What are you using the meter for if you don’t have a GX btw?

0 Likes 0 ·
gni avatar image gni commented ·

Thx for the reply The purpose is using it in combination with Cerbo GX via ethernet. CAN bus not possible due tot distance. Shipments of battery including this victron equip is delayed due to Red Sea problems. So I thought, I already connect this sensor to Home assistant to see if I get this working.let me know if you have solved this issue otherwise i have to wait till Cerbo arrives.

0 Likes 0 ·
gni avatar image
gni answered ·

Solved, tried a few times more, and suddenly the firmware was updated to v1.05.

1 comment
2 |3000

That is good to hear!

We have meanwhile improved the robustness of the ethernet updates, and Venus OS v3.30~6 beta has the improved updater code.

There will also be a new firmware version for the VM.

0 Likes 0 ·
dirks-1 avatar image
dirks-1 answered ·

I just have installed my VM-3P75CT today via VeCan and with VenusOS 3.22. The FW upgrade was no problem and it is working well.

But i expected to see the grid frequency? Did i expect it wrong? Do i miss something?

1709676321542.png

1709676321542.png (14.5 KiB)
2 |3000