question

passra avatar image
passra asked

How can I update VM-3P75?

Hello,

Today I added an energy meter VM-3P75 to my Victron Multiplus II GX.
The 3P75 is connected via Ethernet and is also recognized in the network and has been assigned an IP address.
When Victron Connect was started for the first time, it was also recognized there and an update was offered. However, the update then stopped at 5%. Since then, the device is no longer recognized by Victron-Connect.
After that I performed a reset via the reset button after the failed update.

In the remote console of the GX under Modbus TCP/UDP devices it is shown as a "saved device", but not under "discovered devices".
It is already in the device list, but as "not connected", firmware is V1.00.
If I connect the VM-3P75 directly to the GX via VE-CAN, it is recognized correctly and values are also displayed, but I cannot find a way to perform an update.
However, a permanent connection via VE-CAN is not possible anyway, as the Pylontech battery is connected there.

How can I update the device? I hope that it will then show up under "discovered devices" and can be connected.

Energy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

passra avatar image passra commented ·

Unfortunately, there is no "Update" entry as shown in the video, neither in the device list nor in the main menu:

1700936651988.png

1700936361875.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1700936361875.png (13.4 KiB)
1700936651988.png (37.7 KiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ passra commented ·
Is it still connected via VE.Can?
0 Likes 0 ·
passra avatar image passra commented ·

No, at the moment it is connected via Ethernet

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ passra commented ·
The VRM update can only work via VE.Can.
0 Likes 0 ·
passra avatar image
passra answered ·

I changed the connection to VE.Can, but the website is the same as before:

1700944829329.png

1700944829329.png (43.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi!

It looks like you don’t have Settings -> VRM Portal -> Two way communication enabled on your GX device.

Once enabled, you’ll see an Update firmware button on the bottom of that device list page.

Sorry to hear about your issues. If I may ask one thing, *before* you do the update over VRM:

Can you try updating with VictronConnect App again, and after it fails to update or fails to find/connect the meter, can you save the Service report (see settings menu in the app) and post it here?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

To answer the question more generally, here are the different ways to update the energy meter:

- when connected to a GX Device, either with Ethernet or VE.Can (both options are supported for firmware updating - I’ve used both myself), the it can be done via the VRM Portal. And also using the VictronConnect App, using its remote feature.

- when connected via ethernet, using the VictronConnect App on a phone, tablet or laptop that is there on the same local network.

For further instructions, see:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Meter_VM-3P75CT_Manual/en/firmware-updates.html

2 |3000

passra avatar image
passra answered ·

First of all: thank you very much for your support and sorry for my stupid mistake, the setting "Two way communication" was actually not set. I completely overlooked this in the heat of the moment, shame on me.

Now the update area in the VR portal is also visible and selectable.
I was also able to successfully carry out the update there.

However, I still don't see the VM-3P75 in the Victron Connect app under "Local".
It only appears if you select "VRM" and choose the Multiplus there.
I have attached the desired system report.

victron-connect-local.png

victron-connect-vrm.pngSystembericht 2023-11-26 vor Update.log

The VM-3P75 is now also displayed in the Remote Console when connected via Ethernet, but the measurement is not working properly. The current values are not updated or are only updated very rarely (several minutes), only the voltage values change. This is also the case when connected via VE.Can.
The calculated power therefore does not match the measurement of the Fronius smart meter at all:

vergleich-fronius-sm-victron-vm-3p75.png

Or at another point in time, Current values are not udpated:

2 |3000

passra avatar image
passra answered ·

Now wrong direction (Installation of the current transformers 3 times controlled) and wrong value:

1701019963065.png

1701019963065.png (33.3 KiB)
2 |3000

passra avatar image
passra answered ·

The victron support logged into my system but could not find any communication errors, all values are transmitted correctly.

Thank you very much to the victron-support for the fast support.

After that I "dismantled" the meter box again yesterday and checked the cables. Unfortunately, I found that the labelling of the wires was incorrect.
I have now changed the mounting locationof the current transformers and now the display of the VM-3P75 and Fronius Smart-Meter also fits.

2 |3000

stefan-jaeger avatar image
stefan-jaeger answered ·

Hello,

it seams I got the same Problem as PASSRA.

I connected the VM-3P75 by ethernet to the Venus OS RPi V3.20~35.

I could ping it, it is found in Venus OS, but "not connected". (but it does not have a web-interface - is this normal ?)

In the Victron Connect app, it mostly does not show up at all - only some times for some seconds.

In the VRM it does not show up at all-

Is it possible to update it by Ethernet in any way ?

Using CAN would not be possible very easy for me now, because it is already hard wired to the Seplos BMS without any plugable ( RJ45) Connectors.

1 comment
2 |3000

stefan-jaeger avatar image stefan-jaeger commented ·

got it solved.

Connected Meter to 2nd CAN interface

Now I could upate it by VRM to 1.05

Now I cloud witch back to Ethernet and anything works as expected.

ESS does now mutch better control result in zero feed-in mode compared to hitchi/Tasmota reading Head

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources