question

Elimac avatar image
Elimac asked

"Update the MK3" message on Venus OS - Multiplus

Hello, I would like to ask the forum for advice before doing anything too hasty...

I have this message on my setup for a long time: "A new MK3 version is availabe". I did not update since the system is very stable and I saw no reason to take the chance. But now it has passed maybe 2 years or so, and might be advisable to upgrade if in future I need to correct something. Hence this post in search for advice. I did not find much information for this and I would like first of all to understand what this is and what is the impact of "change" and "no change" scenarios on my side.

1695314759760.png

I have two 24/3000/16 Multiplus in parallel, monitored by a Venus GX.

- 2x Multiplus version: 459

1695314741598.png

- Venus GX , version 3.20~4.

- Note1: I do have an hardware MK3-USB device

-Note2:

I've read parts of the discussion about the VRM remote upgrade of the Multiplus, but not too closely. The option of remote upgrade the multiplus was visible long ago on my VRM, then was removed, and now is visible again. Probably related to the beta versions of the Venus I've been testing, but I am unsure if is related or not with the MK3 update message above.

1695315253748.png

So, can someone explain the implications? Will the power go out? Is it safe to proceed with the "update" button on the "update MK3 " message?

I don't want to upgrade the Multiplus main firmware if not needed. But I could update the MK3 interface part to avoid being to old in case it needs maintenance.

System is live in production.

Any advice on this is much appreciated.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVRMVenus OSfirmware updateMK3
1695314741598.png (18.2 KiB)
1695314759760.png (27.0 KiB)
1695315253748.png (15.6 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
You have concerns about a system restart because of the MK3 update but on the same time you use beta releases of Venus OS?
0 Likes 0 ·
Elimac avatar image Elimac Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
I don't have too much concern on system restart. I just asked what should be expecting. The system is in my house, not remote.

I do have concern of not knowing what this update is, whereas the Venus OS I have been experimenting since 2018 and I am familiar with. About the Inverters... is a complete different ball game, I don't experiment with them.

And BTW, in 5 years of testing on Venus OS, not once it caused system restart.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Elimac

A small percentage of systems restart on the mk3 update.

BTW for future don't update some components and not others. Stop GX auto updates and don't update the MPPT, part updates can create system instability and if the site does not need any of the new of new feature releases leave it. If it does, then you do all components with a firmware.

The remote update is pretty much the same as local, it will wipe settings and you will need to remote configure the MP. Small potential for needing a site visit if something goes wrong. I think i have only needed to go once (reason being loss of internet connection)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

maciek avatar image
maciek answered ·

I have the same message and the same concern. I'd appreciate some more clarity on this topic. What will the "MK3 update" do? Is it updating the firmware in Multiplus or is it updating the interface part to be able to communicate with the computer? Is there a risk that the newer MK3 update will not work correctly with my older Multiplus?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
This has been broadly discussed on the forum, its internal to how the system communicates and is mandatory. Things stop working when you don’t update and upgrade other components.

There is a tiny chance the inverter may restart.

0 Likes 0 ·