question

hookem avatar image
hookem asked

Cerbo GX: VE.CAN vs VE.Direct and Smart (BT) devices

Please help me understand... I've got a pair of SmartSolar MPPT 150/85-TR VE.CAN controllers which can be connected to the Cerbo GX via VE.CAN or VE.Direct, and here's what I've noticed:
1) With VE.CAN the Cerbo GX is able to show all configuration settings
2) With VE.Direct the Cerbo GX can show some settings, but not all, so detailed settings have to be accessed via BT (e.g., Connect App on a smartphone)

This is for a motorhome application, so running "Remote Console" via the VRM Portal is very convenient, whereas BT (Smrrt) access requires being at the motorhome. Questions:
1) Why is VE.Direct so limited (i.e., why can't it be effectively the same as VE.CAN)?
2) Since the Cerbo GX has BT (and also supports USB-BT for a longer range), why can't it be used the same way as the Connect App on a smartphone?

BTW, I do understand that Victron may have Firmware development challenges, based on priorities and resources... but I'm curious if these are limitations that Cerboc GX simply can't overcome.

I should also note that I was motivated to move the MPPT controllers to VE.Direct so that I could free up the VE.CAN for connecting Lithionics batteries using the "RV-C" protocol, which does not support the MPPT controllers... And that is yet another Firmware limitation!

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

cerbo gxorion-tr smartVE.DirectVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers