question

anthony-hendriks avatar image
anthony-hendriks asked

Victron generator assisted ice cream concession trailer

Planning a concession trailer for soft serve ice cream. Because of the large 220v power requirements for these machines most people recommend a 20kw diesel generator.

I had the thought that an inverter and battery could be used to offset the peak draw and also found out about Victron's power assist functionality which I hoped would allow the use of a smaller quieter generator.

I have no experience with any Victron setups but it makes sense to me in theory.

The soft serve machine requires 208-230v - 27 amps (single phase) or 208-230v - 20 amps (3 phase) I'd like to look into adding a soft start to the compressor of the soft serve machine but I don't know if that's feasible.

I'll also need a few other 120v appliances but they'll be small usage in comparison.

I thought a Genmax GM10500iETC may be ideal. It's an inverter generator with 8500w running watts and 10500w peak.

Ideally I could plug in standard 120v AC and charge off of it when available and then run off battery/generator otherwise.

Anyone willing to advise on recommended Victron equipment for this setup? Worth going for 3 phase?

Generator3 phasemultiple inverterssplit phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·
Because of the large 220v power requirements for these machines most people recommend a 20kw diesel generator.

Are you in the USA?
In the USA, the Grid is 240v / 120v Split-Phase or 120v / 208v 3-Phase WYE.

Will the ice cream machine (208v-230v Single Phase) operate correctly with 240v Single-Phase?
If they say "Yes", then I would get that in writing

6,500 watts (running) = 240v x 27 amps just for the Ice cream machine
I doubt, the Genmax GM10500iETC alone, can start your ice cream machine.
And it will consume ~1.5 Gallons gasoline per hour.

Do you have a local Victron Dealer that can help you?
You need a complete off-grid system design.
You need to know the surge amps and surge duration of all motors and/or compressors in your equipment.

Will you have any refrigeration equipment?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Also watch the machine ratings. 5kVA is about 4000W, depending on the load characteristics.

2 |3000

anthony-hendriks avatar image
anthony-hendriks answered ·

Yes, USA

The manual says supply voltage +/- 10% of that range.

I understand the generator alone is insufficient. My thought was the generator would be to replenish battery supply and be available for peak usage when needed.

I don't have a local Victron dealer but I understand this would be a complete system. I'm just trying to validate the feasibility and get an idea of what components would be needed.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Generally the Multiplus will add up to its max current to the input current. However some generators don't deliver clean power and this may reduce what you get.

This from the Easysolar II 5kVA manual (multiplus inside)

AC-out-1 The AC output cable can be connected directly to the terminal block 'AC-out'. From left to right: "N" (neutral), "PE" (earth) and "L" (phase) With its PowerAssist feature the Multi can add up to its rated power (e.g 3000 / 230 = 13A) to the output during periods of peak power requirement. Together with a maximum input current of 32A this means that the output can supply up to 32 + 13 = 45 A. An earth leakage circuit breaker and a fuse or circuit breaker rated to support the expected load must be included in series with the output, and cable cross-section must be sized accordingly.

You need real current figures for your equipment and size the electrics from there. Beware of inrush currents. Also beware of temperature derating. Ice cream for me means a hot environment and there's a good possibility of reduced output due to this.

Might also be worth considering ramp up time for generator and inverter to produce the necessary output.

2 |3000