question

johncongo avatar image
johncongo asked

Using U.S. split phase to power single phase Multiplus

We work in Congo, Africa, and receive 3 phase 220Vac from the grid. However, due to the constant and lengthy power outages, I'd like to run my single phase 220Vac Multiplus off of a backup generator. Unfortunately, the generator provides "split phase" 220Vac as what you would find at the outlet of a drier in the U.S. The inverter refuses to recognize the input and has a bottom input threshold of 180Vac, blocking me from using it in its current configuration or from using one 110Vac leg of the generator output to power it. Here in a remote jungle village, we always have to improvise, so I am looking for a solution, understanding that it might not follow normal practice or meet "code". Thanks for the help

Generator3 phasesplit phaseinput current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I guess you get 400V 3 phase from the grid and use a single phase at 220V to power things.

Your multiplus has a setting for Weak AC. Try turning this on. It will help with poor AC output from a generator. Using it will, however, reduce the performance of the multiplus.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.