question

Nathan West avatar image
Nathan West asked

Cerbo GX Wifi Dongle Setup

Hi,

I am presently combating the wifi issues with an early model of the gx where there is interference when to hdmi for the touch screen is connected. Victron elaborates on this issue here (refer to the linked pdf if needed)

I have disconnected the hdmi, and wifi connection holds just fine, so that is definitely the issue. In place of opening up the cerbo to reposition the antennas, I thought I would plug in a wifi dongle into the edge-most USB slot. I am using the ASUS USB-AC53 Nano, AC1200 Dual-band USB Wi-Fi Adapter

I plugged it in, and rebooted the system. I am not sure if it is working or not. I can only assume that the cerbo is still leveraging the internal wifi receiver by plugging in the HDMI cable again, which drops out the connection (granted, it could be interfering with the dongle reception, too).

Can anyone advise me? Is this avenue feasible at all?

Really appreciate it.

The hyperlinks above to not appear to be working, so here they are:

- Cerbo GX antenna problem: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/82877/cerbo-gx-wi-fi-issue-when-having-the-gx-touch-conn.html

- Wifi dongle I am using: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B071KV2SMV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

cerbo gxwifitouchscreenhdmi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

One of the USB sockets is power only, can't remember which.

You might struggle with WiFi dongles. Many don't work with Linux based software. But you'll need the screen connected to configure it in the WiFi settings of the Cerbo.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The Cerbo GX USB port which is power only is the closest to the HDMI port.

I can't remember if I had to enter the Wi-Fi SSID and password first time after plugging in the Wi-Fi dongle.

You can remotelly configure Cerbo GX from a PC (without using the Cerbo GX display).

I am not sure if it is working or not. I can only assume that the cerbo is still leveraging the internal wifi receiver by plugging in the HDMI cable again, which drops out the connection (granted, it could be interfering with the dongle reception, too).

If it's your network, you can check in the Internet Wi-Fi router which is used.

I manually assigned different IPs for internal CerboWi-Fi and for an USB Wi-Fi connectd to Cerbo GX.

2 |3000

Related Resources