question

pat0500 avatar image
pat0500 asked

Broken victron phoenix 12V 30A charger

Hello,

i have a victron phoenix 12V 30A charger which stopped charging. after i opened it up i saw 2 resistors which look broken (see attached photo) but one resistor (R25) i cant read the value at all and R26 is also a bit difficult to read but will try to look it up. So does anyone know the values of R25 and R26?

kind regards,

Patrick Postma

20230524_221733.jpg

20230524_221135.jpg

20230524_222609.jpg

chargerPhoenix Invertervictron productsvictron communityvictron
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

You may find there is more to it than two broken resistors. IME resistors do not just "break" unless subjected to external mechanical force. If that is not likely to have happened then you are looking for a large thermal stress or overcurrent or overvoltage as the underlying cause.

R25 in particular looks as though the coating has completely exploded revealing the spiral resistive element underneath. Did you find any pieces of it inside the casing?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pat0500 avatar image pat0500 commented ·

Hello,

Yes i found a few pieces and the coating was half broken, untill i touched it and it all fell off. I also made a picture before but i cant realy make something out of the color values.

20230524_210306.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image sharpener pat0500 commented ·

At a guess R25 and R26 look as if they used to be the same value, ?11 ohms? But it is not clear which end they should be read from. Is there an identical-looking one somewhere else on the board that you can measure?

0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

i agree with @sharpener there probably will be an underlying cause to why they have been damaged also to me it looks like the PCB around the area of the resistors has got wet/damp condensation? if this is the case you might be better off buying new might save you a lot of mucking around.

EDIT

This IC also looks like its got a hot spot. by the discolouration. (but it could also just be flux)hot-ic.jpg

hot-ic.jpg (243.0 KiB)
2 |3000

pat0500 avatar image
pat0500 answered ·

Thanks for the reactions checked the spot you suggested @nesswill , but all the ic's seem to have this spots. It seems like it is a buildup of comformal coating.

@sharpener yess i also think there are more problems with the device.

It seems like the control print gets no voltage at all, but its my first time repairing a victron device so should do some measurements.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page