question

claus avatar image
claus asked

How do I get "AC Load" on my Dashboard?

"AC load" and "Generator" is switched!

How do I correct this?
(firmware upgrade, 3.00, don't change anything ;o)

vrm-view.png

I don't have a generator in my setup

devicelist.png

The energy ET340 is correctly displayed in device list.

VRMEnergy Meterbug report
vrm-view.png (37.5 KiB)
devicelist.png (24.3 KiB)
40 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Sounds like energy meter is set to AC load and not grid meter.

2 Likes 2 ·
claus avatar image claus nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, but it's not. The energymeter ET340 is set as AC-load.

the reading is correct on cerbo

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Not having a Victron inverter should have been mentioned in the first post.

It's a very important "detail" you omitted from the question.

2 Likes 2 ·
claus avatar image claus seb71 commented ·

It's shown i the very first picture and don't change my question.

Victron ET340 connect third-party inverters to cerbo/VRM and Victron GX cerbo VRM fully support Victron ET340.

My question still is: how do we get the error fixed:

1. a disabled generator should be hidden
2. an energymeter configured as AC-Load showsup as AC-load

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ claus commented ·

AC load in the dash is measured by a Victron Inverter. You don't have one.

AC load display, that can be enabled in ESS, and is measured by an external meter is for displaying grid parallel loads, ie, in front of the inverter.

You are off-grid.

This is not a bug, it is as intended. If you want it to work as designed you will need a Victron Inverter or be prepared to just use the charts in the advanced tab.

0 Likes 0 ·

No

It's a bug that a disabled generator is displayed and an energymeter configured as AC-Load showsup as an 'not connected' generator!

Victron sells ET340 with the purpose to connect third party produtcs, so the victron guys has designed cerbo to run with ET340.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

You're trying to get the benefits of a Victron system without a Victron inverter. That won't work well.

You can see what the meter is doing via the advanced tab, but the dash is intended to work in supported configurations and you don't have one.

2 Likes 2 ·

Interesting way of thinking, but your logic is flawed.
Victron sells the ET340 to connect third party inverters to their GX.

Of course I want to take advantage of Victron's products where they are best. (and as you know, it's not their inverters)

This is not a discussion about Victron's Ivnerters, but their energy meters... - that way is also more expensive than their inverter ;o)

My question was how do I get DC-load (on Cerbo) presented as DC-load (on VRM)

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

I don't see that basic information has been supplied.

1. WHAT MODEL INVERTER?
  2. IS IT CONNECTED TO THE VE.BUS PORT OF THE CERBO?
  3. IF SO, HAVE YOU TRIED A DIFFERENT CABLE?
  4. ARE ANY OTHER DEVICES/ITEMS PLUGGED INTO THE VE.BUS PORTS?
1 Like 1 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ snoobler commented ·

I suspect it's not a Victron inverter at all, which wouldn't need a meter on it's ACout. If so, this isn't a bug in VRM, it's by design.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/212710/how-to-get-support-how-to-report-a-bug.html?childToView=212724#comment-212724

Maybe 'Chinese support' can help?

2 Likes 2 ·
claus avatar image claus JohnC ♦ commented ·

It's a Victron energymeter and the inverter is Swiss.

My question is about how I make the VRM presentation work, I don't have any problems with either the inverter or the energy meter.

the reading is correct on the cerbo - only the VRM fail ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ claus commented ·
@claus@hemdrup.dk

Both the Cerbo and VRM know you don't have a Victron inverter, so why should it honour someone else's? It shows your Victron charger, so responsibilities are honoured. What you expect isn't supported, and why should it be?

1 Like 1 ·

Victron ET340 connect third-party inverters to cerbo/VRM and Victron GX cerbo VRM fully support Victron ET340.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ claus commented ·
@claus@hemdrup.dk

Third party PV inverters are supported. Third party battery inverters are not.

You'll note on both the VRM Dashboard and the GX display there's a big blue tile in the centre that everything else revolves around. It has a big Victron logo on it too, that means it's a Victron.

You don't have one, so the only place that an ac meter can be shown is your generator tile, as your system knows of no other place that ac exists.

This isn't a bug. And indeed I hope Victron never change it.

2 Likes 2 ·

Sorry, it is at huge bug.

It's true that third part inverter isnt supported, but Victron is selling ET340 with the purpose to connetc third part inverter.

No, you can setup your energy meter to the generator or AC-load ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ claus commented ·

No they are not.

It is sold, as stated above, for metering PV inverters that support a Victron inverter, either on AC in or AC OUT. This is pretty clear in the docs.

This has been stated numerous times now.

0 Likes 0 ·

Interesting thesis, but I don't think Victron agrees with that interpretation.

I bought the product on the official (Danish) victron homepage, precisely to connect a third-party product.

Can you explain to me why it is relevant by the way?

ET340 is supported and works on Cerbo, I point out an obvious error on VRM.

0 Likes 0 ·
claus avatar image claus snoobler commented ·

1. The inverter i a Studer and connectet to the cerbo with an ET340.
2. ET240 support rs485, not VE.Bus.
3. No, the reading is correct on the cerbo - only the VRM fail ;o)
4. Yes

0 Likes 0 ·
claus avatar image claus commented ·

Yes, of course.

I run in island mode, off-grid mode and would like to know how the "AC load" (as in Device List) can be displayed as "AC load" on the dashboard and not to the nonexistent "Generator".

it does not provide any value to monitor the grid - I would like to monitor the AC load ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill claus commented ·

screenshot-20230615-082555-chrome.jpg

Select Grid?

0 Likes 0 ·
claus avatar image claus nesswill commented ·

I run in island mode, off-grid mode.

"AC input 1 " as "Grid" will nearly the same result ;o)
The 'generator"-label will change to "Grid" and "AC loads" remain empty.

I don't measure the grid, as shown on secound picture.

The measurement results 'inhouse' are correct, only the presentation in vrm is incorrect.

0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 claus commented ·

I noticed in the VRM screenshot the multiplus/inverter is off. Does the problem resolve when inverter is turned on?

I wasn't aware an energy meter was needed if it was just loads wired into ACOUT side.

0 Likes 0 ·
claus avatar image claus matt1309 commented ·

in VRM pressentation? - how do turn on the virtual inverter?
the curent measurement is only 10W, but the inverter is on.

(-an energy meter is needed if you want to montor your AC consumption - not to wire it)

0 Likes 0 ·

Is the inverter connected to cerbo? I couldn't spot it in the device list of the one screenshot you posted but not sure if it's there just further scrolled down? I suspect that might be the issue not the energy meter.

I don't think that's correct. I don't think you do need an energy meter to monitor AC consumption if on ACOUT (and no AC coupled PV connected).

I believe you can add it but I was under the impression that the data in VRM dashboard won't use the AC load energy meter. (the AC load meter data is available in VRM advanced tab but dont think it's used on dashboard page)

I understand an energy meter for a system using ACIN as you have grid input and loads or alternatively if you have AC coupled PV. However on ACOUT side if it's just loads I would've thought the inverter can calculate that based on what it's outputting, which is what I believe VRM dashboard page uses even if you have AC loads meter connected/setup.

Unless you're referring to monitoring specific loads however I dont think that will be the cause of the error you're seeing.

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm referring to a specific load. not ACIN, not PV, not the generator - only AC-load, as shown in pic 2.

0 Likes 0 ·

odd mine works just fine. completely off-grid too with no grid connection at all.

offgrid.jpg

can you answer Snoobler questions???

0 Likes 0 ·
offgrid.jpg (19.5 KiB)

Yes, but you don't use an victron ET340. so it's hard to compare ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·

No correct.

Buy a Victron Inverter.

Problem solved.

0 Likes 0 ·

oh, yes... but it's not in quest.

0 Likes 0 ·

Energy Meters are intended to supplement a Victron Inverter/Charger in the system. Energy Meters are currently limited in their potential applications. Each Energy Meter is only intended to provide a specific piece of additional information - total loads on AC input and grid import/export, or AC PV inverter and AC generator production without network communications.

0 Likes 0 ·

No, Victron inverter don't need energy meter.

Victron sells ET340 with the purpose to connect third party produtcs.

it's still two huge bugs in VRM

0 Likes 0 ·
claus avatar image claus commented ·

You definitely need an energy meter to measure AC power, no doubt that the intention of an energy meter is to measure (ac)-energy.
Note that the measurement is correct on cerbo.

I have no ACIN, therefore the energy meter is set up to measure AC load. (in Corbo setup ACin is set as not available)

My system only has an AC load, it can hardly be more specific ;o)

It's a huge bug to show a value in a section that is diasbled or not installed.

And My question is how do I display the AD load at the correct position in the VRM, 'AC-LOAD'?

0 Likes 0 ·

I think answer to your question is "without a AC energy meter".

As far as I'm aware the AC energy meter is not supported for use within the main dashboard view of VRM only advanced tab.

So less of a bug and more of a feature that is not supported.

But I dont think need an energy meter for your setup. The only source of power is the inverter and the inverter knows how much it's outputting then you don't need another energy meter as the inverter itself has that data.

My guess is that the issue is instead the multiplus is not connecting/communicating to VRM correctly or at least an issue with that connection.

Hence why you have "off" on the VRM dashboard page. The part that's confusing me is that the cerbo is showing the correct information, maybe the cerbo can use the AC load meter but VRM cant? I dont know, all I know is when i tried using AC energy meter to monitor loads it was confirmed to be not supported in VRM dashboard.

Can you see the multiplus/quattro within the cerbo settings in the device list. It should be there and I suspect it's not, which is what I think the issue will be. If the mutliplus/quattro is showing up in the cerbo and on in VRM page i think the system would work as expected (without the energy meter installed)

Further detail of the issue i had originally when i tried using AC load meter:

I don't believe VRM supports the use of external AC load meters for use within the dashboard view. They are supported for storing data/using advanced widgets but not the main VRM dashboard page.

Even in grid tied systems the AC load figure is calculated rather than monitored via an AC loads energy meter. You have a grid meter data + Inverter output and the balancing number is the loads. ie

AC loads = grid meter + inverter output.

And there isn't support for the other way around ie having an AC loads energy meter and calculating the grid data. (Which i agree would be a nice feature to implement).

0 Likes 0 ·

Victron ET340 is supported in Cerbo and the redings is correct.

Only the presentation in VRM is wrong, the reading ACload is shown as generator, despite the generator being deselected. it's a huge bug ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·

You're misunderstanding the meter is supported for usage within Cerbo yes.,

but AC Loads meter are not used for VRM Dashboard. Only grid meters are. You dont have grid. so you dont need energy meter.

The issue is more likely the multiplus is off and hence can't know it's output. VRM dashboard does not work with AC load meters. I would also like it if they did but that's not a feature that's supported.

0 Likes 0 ·

I don't think victron-guys agrees, the official (danish) website states that the et340 is used for the VRM portal... and its purpose is to connect third-party inverters to cerbo/VRM.

Victron GX cerbo VRM fully support Victron ET340.

my question is how how do we get the error fixed:

0 Likes 0 ·

ET340 is supported as Grid meter on VRM dashboard.

It is also supported as AC load meter in VRM advanced tab

It is not supported as AC Load meter for displaying loads on VRM dashboard.

Unfortunately having an AC load meter show up as an AC load is not an error or a bug. It's just a feature that doesn't exist. You could request such a feature but it's not a bug so wont be address as quickly as actual bugs

1 Like 1 ·

Yes, and a PV meter and a AC-load meter... I know -and it works on cerbo.

Victron cerbo supports ET340 AC-load and Victron VRM clearly supports AC-load as well.

It is a very big bug that AC-load from cerbo performs like anything else on VRM, not a feature.

It is also a (minor) error that the VRM shows non-existing equipment (e.g. a generator)

0 Likes 0 ·
ramack avatar image ramack commented ·

It reminds me of the problem I currently face, where the inverter state is also shown as off but it is working (without grid)

Can you show the main page of the vrm and the inverter in the device list?

0 Likes 0 ·
claus avatar image claus ramack commented ·

yes, the first picutre is VRM mainpage.

The inverter is connected through the energy ET340, as shown in the secund picture.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

From the manual:

With GX device firmware version 2.80 and later, they can also be used for other purposes e.g. to measure specific, arbitrary AC loads or circuits for example. But this should not be considered a replacement to having a Victron Inverter/Charger. Attempting to use other brand battery inverters and trying to substitute their lack of data connectivity to the GX device by using Energy Meters will not work as expected.

I will be selecting this as the answer so it appears at the top of the post, and consider this topic closed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.