question

Raoul Bocchi avatar image
Raoul Bocchi asked

DC-DC Orion setup for charger mode

Hi all,

I'm planning to set up a DC-DC Orion converter to charge a Victron LiFePO4 house battery in charger mode (coupled to a starter battery, the latter powered by an alternator). Does the chemistry of the two batteries have to be the same? In other words, do I have to replace the engine starter battery with a LiFePO4 starter battery (for example, a pair of DL+ 12V Dakotas for a 24V system)?

Lithium Batteryorion dc-dcalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @romeobravo

Simple answer: No, the chemistry of the starter battery doesn't matter. It's all about the input voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mannysantana78 avatar image
mannysantana78 answered ·

@Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) Can you please explain more or show a diagram how i can connect a dc to dc victron and other components to make the dc to dc set up more safer and reliant. Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

@MannySantana78 Here are some system schematics available for download: https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr-smart#system-schematics

Also the manuals contains some simplified schematics to get the basic functionality correct.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range