question

thomas-hamre avatar image
thomas-hamre asked

Charging the Lithiums using a DC-DC charger, Connected to AGM batteries connected to Shorepower Charger?

Hi Community,

From the factory, the boat was originally equipped with AGM only, and the house was powered from one of the starter banks (dual purpose AGM). This will only allow my appliances to run for 12 to 24hr, so I have ordered an upgrade to Lithium. The original shore-power charger is connected to 3 independent AGM banks (Starter 1, 2 and thruster). The charger does not have any more independent outputs.

The yard is currently fitting the boat with 2 x Orion Smart DC-DC charges (+ MPPT 100/30, Cerbo GX, smartshunt +++), that will be connected from each Starter-banks and to the new Lithium house bank.

So my question is; if I use Volt sensing on the DC-DC, will the DC-DC charge the Lithium's when the Shore-power charger is charging the Starte-batteries (@14,4v)?

Will this work? Any major issues with this idea?

I know this is not the best set-up, but I would like to leave the original set-up as original as possible and rather add a Multi-plus inverter/charger for the Lithium bank next year.

PS!! the original shore power charger is a 20A Cristec Y-power 5-step charger.

Lithium BatteryOrion DC-DC Converters not smartalternatorshorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Victron DC-DC converters product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?