question

andy-mullins avatar image
andy-mullins asked

Cannot connect my laptop to Multiplus II GX via Mk3-USB

Hi,

I have a Multiplus II 48/5000 GX with Pylontech US5000 batteries and an ET112 meter.

I have tried in vain to connect to the inverter via the MK3-USB device.

HP Laptop operating on Windows 10

Cable Cat5e (approx 3m long). Also tried a Cat6 cable 6m long.

Can Cables to pylontech, Ethernet and ET112 remained in place.

I did have the MK3-USB connected in the Laptop port and the RJ45 connected in the free CAN port on the inverter when downloading the VEConfigure 3 software (I see on here some advice that this should only be connected after the download).

When selecting a communication port, it does give me a drop down 'Com 3 (USB Serial Port) and the device has a green indicator in my devices settings - am I to assume the drivers have loaded ok and the device is connected to my laptop?

I cannot however get beyond 'connect cable and switch on device'. Batteries are on and I switch the invertor to 1 (it then starts charging the batteries - which worries me as I have not checked settings).

After 10 or 15 seconds I get message pop up saying 'Help in Communication' and that's as far as I can get.

I can see the inverter on Victron Connect and the VRM portal along with my ET112. It has monitored power used when I switched the unit on). I managed to update the firmware via bluetooth using Victron Connect, but I cannot adjust any settings this way.

At present I have the unit switched off and I have run out of options.

HELP!

Andy

VEConfigure 3MK3connection issue
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Andy Mullins

Might be a typo, but you said you connected the MK3 to a CAN port. You meant VE.Bus port, hey?

If that's not it, just try VRM's 'VE.Configure' option. No MK3 necessary. You download a .rvsc file, make your changes, then send it back. But make sure you save it on the pc and work on it from there.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andy-mullins answered ·

Thanks John. Of course I meant the VE.Bus port - I'm a bit new to all this techy stuff.

I'll give the VRM VE Configure option a go. Does it provide all of the same setting configuration as with the Mk3-USB?

I see there is a victron video on the subject so will take a look at that for guidance.

I can't help but feel this is all so disjointed and someone at Victron needs to make this much simpler with some basic user guides in the manual rather than having to search the net or forums.

Thanks again John. Fingers crossed.

I then need to find out how to set a charging time.

Andy

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Andy Mullins

VE.Configure is the fully-featured option for accessing the Multi settings. The remote VRM way saves you scratching about with wires and MK3. Once you prove it for yourself, consider setting up your pc to make it simple. Like a shortcut to VE.Config, a current .rvsc file, which you can modify at your leisure then upload easily. Even multiple file copies if you want to change something regularly. It should warn if a Multi reboot is necessary with some changes.

VE.Bus is a complex protocol, so we have to wear it (for now). But it's not so bad when you get used to it.

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-mullins answered ·

Many thanks John, I managed to do this last night and it was much easier than I expected. Wish I hadn't bothered spending £70 on a MK3-USB now!

As an aside I now need my system to do 3 basic things and am struggling to see how to set this up.

1. I want to set a charging schedule to make use of cheap overnight tariffs.

2. I want any excess energy from my AC coupled PV to be used to top up batteries.

3. I want to limit the % of battery charge from the grid (to give me headroom to benefit from solar charging).

When searching the plethora of victron guidance all of the above are clearly possible, but the screenshots referenced in the guidance don't seem to be in the VE. configuration. When I look at my GX ESS there are no assistants selected - if that's something I need to do, selecting the right one looks to be challenging too!

I know we have strayed off the initial thread here but wondered if you could offer advice?

Many thanks again John - configuring via the remove VRM was a life changer!

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Andy Mullins

Great you've mastered access. Keep the MK3 safe, you may well need it one day. Think losing your www/VRM.

Those 3 little 'basic' things you mention can indeed be achieved (possibly even in various ways), but are usually the province of qualified installers. So you have a learning curve to traverse if you want to diy it, possibly even certification if you're exporting power too.

Victron's ESS is an 'Assistant' you invoke in the Multi, that also uses GX commands to operate. Sounds like you'll need it, so maybe some reading.. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/ess-quick-installation-guide.html

Look at the links there too. Youtube stuff, etc. Victron website, even Victron Professional.

Helping with ESS isn't in my comfort zone, offgrid is my go. But there's plenty others here who can help with specific queries.

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-mullins answered ·

Many thanks again John. All sorted now. I uploaded the ESS and configured what I need - thanks so much to this community and the helpful stuff on here.

Andy

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VEConfigure manual

VEConfig alternative method for VE.Bus using VictronConnect