question

sebastian-w avatar image
sebastian-w asked

How to set MultiPlus to prioritise solar power before shore power, but shore power before batteries?

I have a MultiPlus 12/3000/120/16 connected to my batteries and also a BlueSolar MPPT 100/50.

Is it possible to configure the MultiPlus so that it will prefer the sun to charge the batteries, and if the sun isn't strong enough, it will be supplemented with shore power?

MPPT ControllersVenus OSVEConfigure 3VE.Busshorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
jerry34 avatar image
jerry34 answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sebastian-w avatar image sebastian-w commented ·

Thanks. I just reconfigured my system due to the guide.
Excited to see with it works tomorrow :)

0 Likes 0 ·
sebastian-w avatar image
sebastian-w answered ·

Found a small problem with. It turns off the input totally until the SOC 50%. When it reaches 99% again it turns off.

Isn't it possible to, combine the two sources?

1 comment
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

you can if you use the CCGX generator autostart setup and move the bmv relay control to the CCGX relay

then you have all those setting that can control general flag condition

and its easyer to manually control the mains as well

0 Likes 0 ·
jerry34 avatar image
jerry34 answered ·

Seul moyen est '' ess'' pour cela. Obligation d' utiliser un color control.

2 comments
2 |3000

I can't seem to enable "ESS".
And my supplier doesn't know "the password" I need to change in the grid.

Maybe I need to say the installation is on a boat if that makes any difference to the "ESS setup"

0 Likes 0 ·
jerry34 avatar image jerry34 sebastian-w commented ·

GRID CODE edited out by Victron - please talk to your supplier,

submit a support request - https://professional.victronenergy.com/support/?is_next=www.victronenergy.com

or your nearest sales manager as a last resort - https://www.victronenergy.com/contact

Voilà le code. Mettez "mode B" cela marche bien dans mon bateau. Obligatoire d'avoir un color control ou venus gx pour le mode "ESS". Bonne journée.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Hi @Sebastian W.
Can you describe your system? is it on a boat? RV? what size and type of batteries?

you don't want to use ESS on a system that is not permanently connected to the grid.

There are some different ways to prioritize solar, what is best depends on the use. some options:

-disconnect AC-in when battery is above xx% SOC
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:ignore_ac_input_using_the_generator_assistant

-set a lower charge voltage in the Multi vs the MPPT's, so as soon as absorption is reached the MPPT's will do all the charging
-ESS - when the sytem is permanently connected, and when (a little bit at least) feed-in to grid is allowed.

6 comments
2 |3000

@Boekel: Of course I can.. Sorry didn't think of that. :)

My installation is on a boat:
2x 110AMP batteries as "house bank" (bank 1)
2x 110AMP batteries as "Starter battery and bow thruster" (bank 2)
The batteries are: Lucas LX31 110ah Leisure Battery
The two banks are connected together via a Cyrix-ct 12/24V-120A (CYR010120011).

Connected to bank 1 are the following:
One BMV-702 (BAM010702000R) with 3x 160Watt solarpanels
One SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 (SCC110050210)
One MultiPlus 12/3000/120-16 (PMP123020001)
One Venus GX (BPP900400100) (https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/36369/share/820f64ab)

Connected to the Venus GX are the following:
BMV-702 (BAM010702000R)
SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 (SCC110050210)
MultiPlus 12/3000/120-16 (PMP123020001)

I already tried the suggestion from @Jerry34, it worked, but with the little problem that it ignores the AC IN to the MultiPlus, and therefore it goes into inverter mode due to that it turns off AC OUT 2. Also it the use from the batteries at night when there is no solar, to charge the batteries.

Then I tried via VEConfigure the following:
Under: "Virtual switch" - dedicated ignore AC input
Under: "Ignore AC input" - Do not ignore AC input when Udc lower than: 12.5v for 1 sec......bulk finished for 2 minutes.
But it does the same ass the suggestion from Jerry. So no good either.

I open for any suggestions...

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ sebastian-w commented ·

you can also program AC-out 2 with assitants, I use it for non-essential loads to power down when battery gets below xx SOC.

I'd also use the ignore ac-in trick I linked earlier:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:ignore_ac_input_using_the_generator_assistant

What problems did you run into with this?

0 Likes 0 ·
sebastian-w avatar image sebastian-w boekel ♦ commented ·

What I wish to do is like this:

When enough solar is present, then AC OUT 1 is running from the batteries.
But AC OUT 2 is still powered by AC IN (Shore).

0 Likes 0 ·
rempte.png (53.0 KiB)
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ sebastian-w commented ·

AC OUT 1 and 2 are connected, only out 2 is switchable:

0 Likes 0 ·
sebastian-w avatar image sebastian-w boekel ♦ commented ·

DOH!
Why didn't I saw that?

Thanks @Boekel

0 Likes 0 ·
jerry34 avatar image jerry34 sebastian-w commented ·

Il est possible aussi de monter un relais finder (12-220v) qui est brancher sur prise de quai, connecter sur le relais du venus ou du bmv.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I'm a newbie when it comes to Victron, but wouldn't setting up DVCC on the Venus and set the max current allow this function? https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_-_distributed_voltage_and_current_control

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

What is VE.Bus?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic