question

lambish avatar image
lambish asked

Question about input VS output power and stored in battery

Hi, in my previous question I ask about the SmartShunt functionning. This additonnal equipement is here to help to understand what is the problem with my installation, but in fact doesn't help due to the low load on the Orion TR
More context:
-EasySolar 48/5000
-2 Orion TR48/XX now connected to the battery via the SmartShunt
-1 BYD B-Box Pro 10kWh (model from 2018, 4x2.5)

My problem is, I've seen my total input power for a period of time is much higher than my consumption and theoretically missing capacity in the battery. Here are 3 pictures of 3 days with Grid/Generator input + solar, with small consumption (the Orion output only drain few watts most of time and sometime near 200W but no more)

1670314838464.png

1670314867672.png

1670314884030.png

I've contacted EFT-System, the official BYD service company in Europe. But they only tell me "You are reading the data incorrectly. Adding those two values (solar + grid) does not give you the energy that has been charged into the battery. ". Nothing more...

This night (last picture) I've charged only with the generator, and this time I don't have to do any calculations. I've checked during the night, the battery has an input power between 1 and 1.15kWh. I start to charge when the battery was at 20% (I assumed 2kWh remaining).

Someone here can help to understand this value? Is my battery defective?

Thank you :)

battery chargingVRMBYD
1670314838464.png (54.1 KiB)
1670314867672.png (57.3 KiB)
1670314884030.png (41.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Lambish

The trouble with these VRM barcharts is they don't show the battery charge from the genset. Solar is there, and it tends to baulk people into thinking that the genset (as an example) is included too. But it's not. And until relatively recently there wasn't even a total from the genset, all we got was a direct consumption figure. Thankfully that's fixed now.

What you need to do is subtract the genset Consumption from the Overview Total to see what went to the batts. So there's no native battery balance, you need to do the calcs.

If your shunt is set up to cover everything to/from the batts, then another way is to use these History figures from VictronConnect.. 1670326698123.png These are cumulative figures, from the last time History was cleared, so allow for that. But these are indisputable, from the same device. These figures from my fla's, so not great efficiency charging the top 20% SOC daily. But I wear it, can't dispute it..

1670326698123.png (8.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lambish avatar image
lambish answered ·

@C0Baxley Yes of course, it doesn't run @100% of efficiency but In the last picture, it's a way far from 100%, 16-3kWh = 13kWh, to charge 8kWh it's near the half more of energy !

@JohnC Yes I know for the battery, unfortunatly, I can just check sometime to see how many goes in it from the value the BMU tell to the GX. That's why i say 1kWh, that's the approx battery BMU value shown in live mode.
But for me the problem is not here, if I've only 1 or 1.5kWh more from inputs ( the grid/generator with or without solar field) minus the total output consumption than the expected missing battery capacity it's OK, like @C0Baxley say, it can't be 100% effective. But here it's near 6kWh. It's insane in my opinion !

I don't really understand what you explain me about the solar and the genset. I don't know if I'm clear too. If we look only last picture, without solar field, for me we start when battery has only 20%(about 2kWh) left. We charge from the genset 16kWh. During this time I consumed 3kWh (when I look the Consumption charts, it tell me all from Generator). So if I'm correct, I've 13kWh to charge the 8kWh missing capacity like i say above. Or maybe I really didn't understand this values... I don't remember to see such values before, more than missing OK, but not 5kWh more !

Unfortunatly, my SmartShunt only monitor the output power to the Orion and not the transit from/to battery...

And I don't understand this "These figures from my fla's, so not great efficiency charging the top 20% SOC daily. But I wear it, can't dispute it.." I'm not enought fluent in English to understand ^^

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Lambish

Thanks for the clarification. Firstly, don't worry about your battery being defective, that's most unlikely.

I think there's something wrong with the figures. Looking at them again, that one where the generator is in use is strange. The SOC (presumably from the BYD) shows a stable progressive rise, then tapers off, as expected. But the generator output doesn't. Maybe you could go back through the Widgets in VRM Advanced and try to find clues as to what's going on with that. We are only guessing from here, as you may have something else using that power. Something, somewhere, seems to be registering or reporting incorrectly. And if it were VRM we'd see multiple reports, so most likely it's something at your end.

I went back through your other question, which I can't help with. But it may be related.

Sorry not to to be able to help you more with this.

2 |3000

lambish avatar image
lambish answered ·

@JohnC
Hi, thank you for your answer. To give you more explanations about the tape off of the battery and not the generator, it's because the battery SOC stay @99% for about 2/3 hours with max input available before starting to decrease (when the generator decrease too).
On the battery, I only have the Easysolar and the Orion trough the SmartShunt. Clearly, it's not the Orion, I've checked with an Ampmeter on the negative line and I've the same value as SmartShunt (about 0.1amp continuous and when some equipment like water pump run, go to 100/200W).
I've updated the Multi before starting to see this strange values (to v498), I've update to v500 before the last picture too. I've select report every minute in the GX to be sure but nothing change.

Here is the widget view of the SOC, genset input, AC consumption and SmartShunt measurement.

1670488390731.png

And here the view when the genset charge with the point where I'm at @99 and 100%
1670488451930.png

Yesturday, I only run on the genset with battery full. Here is the graph1670488618523.pngThe value isn't in decimal but it's more than 11 and 12. As you can see, with charging and only consumming power from genset, I used more than 1kWh++ from the genset that I used. (ATM, I've 4.6 from Genset and 3.9 for consumption). We can say that I've per day when charging a loss of 1kWh in the system. Maybe it's the same for the battery with higher loss... Very high ^^

Thank you to look at the other question about SmartShunt ;)

1670488390731.png (214.4 KiB)
1670488451930.png (58.5 KiB)
1670488618523.png (43.7 KiB)
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Lambish

Looking over those Widgets I can't really see anything wrong. The varying load makes it difficult to do any useful calculations from though.

Except for that SOC. It's still not clear to me where that comes from. If it were the Smartshunt it wouldn't 'creep up' on 100% like that. If it's the BYD then I'd probably complain about it. I'd find that very annoying if on my own system.

The last chart isn't unusual either. My own Easy always shows 30 to 40W lower output than the Smartshunt (while discharging with no solar or genset), and over a day that adds up. The price of having it turned on.. Not sure where your DCLoads fit in there either. When you look at that Overview, also look at the Consumption page and match the figures. That's where you see how much of it went through the battery.

So again, sorry I can't help much. Maybe someone else can see something there?

2 |3000

lambish avatar image
lambish answered ·

Yes I know, I need to use AC system to heat because of heater failure ATM ^^

The SOC came from BYD BMU directly, the SmartShunt is only for the DC load (DC system) you see the Advanced graph. I'm in touch with EFT-System, but they doesn't reply for 1 week now...

Yes, It make sense to me too, any system have loss.
For the consumption of the last picture, it all came from genset (11kWh) and very small amount from Battery and Solar (0.1kWh each). But since I don't know if SmartShunt power is added into the day consumption, I can't be sure of that values (In the same time, the SmartShunt doesn't move so much this day because I didn't use any equipment connected to the Orion).

Thank you for your help. I'll see if someone here can help me with this or if EFT system answer me...
In the same time, I'm starting thinking it's "Normal" values...

2 |3000