question

mjbruen avatar image
mjbruen asked

CerboGX with 7 SmartShunts - Distance / USB-hub / Wiring

Hello!
I have some experience with Victron equipment, but from time to time, I get stuck.
The plan is to connect seven Victron SmartShunt to a CerboGX and monitor them via the Victron GX Touch 70.

I have put together a quick drawing of the setup, with cables, lengths, and equipment, but I'm curious if it will work at all.

Three of the seven SmartShunts can be directly hooked up to the CerboGX with VE.Direct cables, but the other four are too far away and I also lack VE.Direct connections on the Cerbo.
I've read that you can use the VE.Direct to USB Interface cable to a USB-Hub which is connected to the CerboGX, but the distance is 10 meters from the CerboGX to the hub, and then 2-3 meters from the USB-hub to the SmartShunts (USB Extenders -> VE.Direct to USB Interface).

Will this even work, or will I have trouble powering this? Unsure if the picture resolution is high enough.

Appreciate all feedback and help!

screenshot-2022-11-29-at-164724.png

cerbo gxSmartShuntVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@MJBruen

If your hub is powered then there is no issue.

You can get 10m ve direct to usb cables.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mjbruen avatar image mjbruen commented ·

Thanks for the reply!
Not quite sure I understood. Do you mean that there is no problem if the USB hub is powered, or am I misunderstanding?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mjbruen commented ·

The usb hub must have its own power supply not be powered by the Cerbo.

It is in the manual. The limit is the power the GX can provide through the USB.

screenshot-20221130-063141.jpg

1 Like 1 ·
jerothle avatar image
jerothle answered ·

I did this and it works. Four smart shunts connected with VE.Direct to USB cables plugged into the 12 volt-connected to battery system-USB hub.

https://www.startech.com/en-us/usb-hubs/st1030usbm

7-24V DC Powered 10 port USB hub.

st1030usbmmain1.jpg

st1030usbmmain1.jpg (173.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Martin Kunz avatar image
Martin Kunz answered ·

Hallo zusammen, es wäre schön, wenn jemand mit lsusb schauen könnte, welcher usbchip in dem startech Gerät verbaut ist. Es muss nicht wirklich sein, dass hier jeder GX-Besitzer ein Luxusgerät kaufen muss, obwohl innen ein Standardchip werkelt. Das Holz ist in Ordnung – bitte schauen Sie sich „lsusb“ an. Helfen Sie viel mehr Menschen mit dem gleichen Problem.

THX

2 |3000