question

mwilliford avatar image
mwilliford asked

Smartshunt won't connect to Cerbo gx

Hi, I just connected my new SmartShunt 1000 to my new Cerbo GX via [modified] Ve.direct cable. I have the latest software on both. On the Cerbo settings, I don't see the SmartShunt appear.

I used an ohm meter to check connectivity of the cable, all good.

Any ideas on what is broken? Everything is new out of the box. How can I troubleshoot this?

cerbo gxSmartShuntVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mwilliford avatar image
mwilliford answered ·

Fixed it. I had to cut the cable and put a right angle head on it, followed the same color wires. Turns out that ve.direct cables have pins 2 and 3 swapped.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
Funny that you failed to mention that you are using a DiY cable, but did mention that the cable is good.
2 Likes 2 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Can you access the SmartShunt with VictronConnect on a phone (via Bluetooth)?

2 |3000

janvi avatar image
janvi answered ·

Do you see your smart shunt in the Cerbo Device List or is only the graphics missing ?

My smart shunt is named DC Loads and setup to count the DC loads as it does not act as a battery monitor.

3-shunt.png

3-shunt.png (41.9 KiB)
2 |3000

mwilliford avatar image
mwilliford answered ·

The SmartShunt works fine over Bluetooth, tested a charge/discharge cycle, works.

I do not see the SmartShunt show up in my device list, which is the reason why I think it is the ve.direct not working. I have run the ve.direct cable (which I also tested with an ohm meter) from the SmartShunt to the cerbo GX. I tested 2 different ports on the cerbo GX, and also verified that I have the latest software on both.

I ordered a USB to ve.direct to help with troubleshooting. Perhaps I can see if my SmartShunt can talk to my mac laptop over this connection (instead of bluetooth), which would then validate if the SmartShunt is the problem, or the cerbo GX. Thoughts or other ideas.

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

I ordered a USB to ve.direct to help with troubleshooting. Perhaps I can see if my SmartShunt can talk to my mac laptop over this connection (instead of bluetooth)

You can also use that USB-VE.Direct cable to connect the SmartShunt to Cerbo GX (don't use the USB port next to the HDMI port on Cerbo GX).

0 Likes 0 ·