question

stubbs avatar image
stubbs asked

Bug? Quattrtro II (Gen) Algorythum too Aggressive

Hier I think is a Bug! Generator is running @3kW on a Quattro II. Should be 5kW. The genny needs a less radical ramp-up time. If I set the input @10A input and gradually bring it up to 23A all works as designed(5kW)! Set the Quatto II to auto it throws the generator out >20 times and get only 3kW! after sync.

System: 3Ph MP2, RS450/100, Quattro II (Genny) All FW' up to date.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxGeneratorPylontechgenerator auto start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Try enabling "Dynamic current limiter" and/or "Weak AC input"

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stubbs avatar image
stubbs answered ·

@Matthias Lange - DE Manual und FAQ have been read thoughly. Und angewendet!

I have tried both "Dynamic current limiter" and "Weak AC input" the max is 2-3kW!

If I set the input current to 10A and slowly increase it to 23A; It works like a charm! (5kW) Ramp-up timming should be a constant in the settings!

2 |3000

stubbs avatar image
stubbs answered ·

What is really wierd. If I turn the AVR up to 248vac. And the Idle to 53 Hz. It works. But this is not acceptable. da it is out of spec.! Why does it work @230vac if I slowly increase the Input Amprage?

I really do believe the Algorythem ist set too aggressive!

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Sounds like this is a problem with your AVR, it can't handle the change in load.

Has this been a problem from day 1 or is this a new problem?

1 Like 1 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Stubbs

You really need to dissect your evidence to make progress with this. Eg. your Quattro has a 70A charge limit into 48V (guessing what you're using), so you'll need loads as well to reach 5kW. Power Factor on that load will impinge too. And the mppt charger may be interfering as well. We can't know any of that stuff without more info.

By 'ramp-up' you mean the Dynamic Current Limiter? That's already fairly liberal, and is really only needed to allow the genset time to pull up the mechanical governor. It's a sluggish genset that can't keep up with DCL.

@shaneyake has had a stab at the AVR, and that could well be it. (my own genset has a dicky AVR). But could also be other things on the genset too.

Gensets can be temperamental (even evil on a cold rainy night), and over the several I've used, none have ever instilled me with great confidence in their behavior. You'd think there wasn't much else beyond the normal fuel/oil/battery issues to consider, but that's not so. The genset is where I'd be looking to first for your issue.

On the Victron side.. I like to watch my gen sync via the MFD app (local realtime and big figures). Just last winter I noticed that when the Multi relay clicks in for gen acceptance, a figure of (say) 3kW flashes for a moment, then drops to zero before it winds up. I wonder why it does that?

2 |3000

stubbs avatar image
stubbs answered ·

Thanks for the replies

@JohnC @shaneyake You are more than likely correct in your thoughts. Will replace it next week.

In Charger only mode. I was able to achieve <40A with out fiddlling with it. If I slowly bring the Current Limit on AC1 up. It would achieve 68-70A (occasional flashes 73-75A) on the charger. Then tried it combined with AC Loads Bingo! As far as the Genset goes; FP Timming, Valvelash etc.all in spec.. I could move from a 5w-30 to a 10w-40 Synthetic. That shouldn't matter though. Which only leaves the AVR; as suggested. Wouln't hurt to have an extra on-hand anyway.

2 |3000