question

van-gogh avatar image
van-gogh asked

Offline (no internet) full wireless advanced configuration of Victron inverters via smartphone

Hello VE community,

First post here, so please be kind if I'm asking questions that have already been discussed. I tried searching but still can't find a clear answer.

I'm potentially in the market for a second smaller inverter for my RV. I currently have have a 48V 3.8kWh Schneider Conext 4048 inverter which works very well (quiet). It's a tad awkward to configure wirelessly when totally off-grid/offline (uses wifi-direct) via my Android phone, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad, and it does provide access to every single advanced feature. I use that capability quite often, and for my specific situation, I consider that type of offline smartphone advanced programming a must-have feature. Any inverter without it is automatically off the list.

From what I can tell, there is only one Victron inverter, the Phoenix Smart 230V for European markets which offers similar Android smartphone advanced configuration when totally off-grid/offline. All other Victron inverters, even when paired with the smart dongle, appear to only offer basic monitoring and basic features. Is this correct?

If so, does anyone know why there is no Phoenix Smart inverter for the U.S. market? It would immediately be at the top of my list if there was. It seems odd not to have this available. Is this a niche feature most people don't want? It's hard to imagine that. Every other device in my van: the Conext inverter, Cerbo GX, Smart Battery Charger, Dometic CFX375DZ, and AC Infinity Cloudline T6 fans can all be programmed from my phone when totally offline. In fact that's the only way I configure/control all of them, which is very useful when at a stoplight, waiting for a train, in grid-lock traffic, or even sometimes (yes I know, not the safest) when on long stretches of straight interstate with no other vehicles around and lane keeping enabled.

Any advice or input is appreciated. Is there some kind of awkward and expensive but still workable solution to provide the functionality I'm after to existing (not so smart) Victron inverters sold for the U.S. market? Using a USB connection to the phone is highly undesirable, but if that's the only way (mk3-usb?) I'd at least vaguely consider it.

Cheers.

Phoenix InverterBluetoothVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

It does. Go choose your inverter in the demo list. Go click the settings icon. Anything you can change you can do in real life.

On the phoenix (according to the link above) you can either then use the bluetooth dongle for wireless (albeit local to the device, not via the internet) or the ve direct to usb cable for wired.

VC app support:

screenshot-2022-08-20-at-172446.png

edit:

screenshots of settings etc

img-6951.png

img-6952.png

img-6953.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

van-gogh avatar image van-gogh commented ·

Okay, good info -- thank you, Nick. I was able to simulate the 12/1200VA and found I can indeed program the battery cutoff to 12.0V and adjust it as necessary. It even has the dynamic cutoff feature. Nice!

Cheers.

screenshot-20220820-092338.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Nope, only wired via MK3 -USB interface and too complex to do it on the go at a red light waiting for a train to pass to be honest, but damn powerfull and feature rich with all the bells and whistles you can immagine. Look at the Multiplusses and Quattros with powerassist, power control, macro assistants programming, programmable relays, inputs and outputs, programmable voltages and currents, bult-in transfer switches and plenty of automation options. No wireless or BT built in, and not necessary.

They can be networked into very complex installations by wired data interfaces, far beyond what a BT app can achieve. They are smart enough to do all you want without being reconfigured all the time.

1 comment
2 |3000

While I appreciate that you took a minute to confirm what my preliminary research had indicated (thank you), and I can appreciate the fact that you personally don't find it necessary, the entire stated purpose of this post is that for my situation "wireless or BT built in" configuration is necessary.

Once you have wireless configuration capability, devices which lack it become a nuisance. Tons of advanced features are also available in my Conext wifi-direct configuration menus, and while I don't change all of them, I do change many of them routinely via smartphone.

The phoenix inverter smart is also an obvious upgrade which has features other U.S. devices lack. It's only a matter of time before Victron upgrades all of their gear to built-in bluetooth. I just thought maybe they had a simple wireless work-around for legacy gear, or maybe someone from VE would know if there are plans for a U.S. phoenix inverter smart, perhaps with a rollout date I'd be willing to wait for.

Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

@Van Gogh if you open the victron connect app, in the top left corner choose demo library, you can select any of the supported devices and “configure” them in a simulation. This will show you what can/can’t be done.

Some devices may require external connectivity, this is detailed in the victron connect manual available online.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, you can simulate changes, but you can't actually make them in the app for any inverter aside from the phoenix smart, correct?

If so, that unfortunately doesn't meet my requirements. I've not once needed to simulate changes in the Conext 4048 inverter, only make actual changes. But maybe it's a sign Victron is laying the groundwork to help them eventually transition more inverters over to BT built in, like the Phoenix Smart. If I knew they'd have a phoenix smart in the next 6 months, I might be willing to wait for it.

Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ van-gogh commented ·

You misunderstand. The demo library is so you can experience using the product via the app without actually having one, so you can see how you would manage it.

If you actually have the device you can make changes, read stats etc, some wirelessly, others via additional external connectivity, like a dongle or mk3 usb.

All the info you want about supported devices and connectivity can be found here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/index.html?lang=en

Often restrictions are determined by hardware limitations and not software, but a lot of work has gone into improving the app.

The app allows local (via bluetooth/usb) access and via the internet (c/o vrm/the gx) for supported devices.

0 Likes 0 ·
van-gogh avatar image van-gogh nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Okay, that's helpful to know, but the original question is about this statement:

"If you actually have the device you can make changes, read stats etc, some wirelessly, others via additional external connectivity, like a dongle or mk3 usb."

....so simulating the experience of having the device doesn't do me much good in determining what can and can't be controlled wirelessly via the app. Or does it?

Johanndo's comment above at least seems to confirm that you can't make any advanced changes via the app unless you have the european-only phoenix inverter smart.

Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources