question

solar-apprentice avatar image
solar-apprentice asked

Phoenix Inverter 3000VA mandatory accessories?

I am planning to go with bigger inverter for my solar offgrid system. I am aiming for Phoenix 3000VA 48V. My current inverter is Phoenix 1200. I do already have VE.direct and Bluetooth that I can use with current inverter.

I am not sure if some additional equipment is needed for the inverter to configure it and put into production. Product specification mentions VE.bus. Do I need to buy VE.bus dongle just to configure the single inverter and make it work? Does it perhaps come with VE.direct port also if manufactured since some date?

Phoenix InverterVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @solar_apprentice,

There are two models of Phoenix 3kVA inverter,

A Smart model (with VE.Direct), and a VE.Bus model without VE.Direct.

Both will work out of the box.

If you wish for more configuration, there are currently two software packages you can use. How it is configured will also depend on which model it is.

For the VE.Bus model,

VictronConnect

&

VEConfigure

Those links describe what is required. A short answer is an MK3-USB dongle, or GX device with an Internet connection. Configuration is not possible over the VE.Bus Smart bluetooth dongle, the exact limitations of that are described in the links above.

For the VE.Direct Smart Model,

This is the same as your existing VE.Direct unit, using VictronConnect (via built in Bluetooth or VE.Direct to USB adapter). So no additional adapter accessory is required.

Running the demo mode in VictronConnect will give you some indications about what is adjustable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solar-apprentice avatar image solar-apprentice commented ·

Guy, thanks for the answer. It is what I was looking for.

Learned: "Smart" inverters don't support parallel or three phase operation modes and appear to be less common in online stores than VE.bus inverters. Ve.Bus dongle sells for around 100$ on ebay.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic