question

rickgrubin avatar image
rickgrubin asked

VE.Bus Smart Dongle and Cerbo GX no longer play well together

• Cerbo GX @ firmware v2.61 (latest ?)
  • VE.Bus Smart Dongle @ firmware v1.12 (latest)
  • MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 @ firmware v481 (latest)
  • MPPT 100/50 @ firmware v1.59 (latest)
  • BMV @ firmware v4.0.8 (latest)

and VictronConnect app @ v5.72 (latest)

VE.Bus dongle is connected to the MultiPlus, as is the Cerbo. Prior to a recent firmware update for some of the devices, we could:

• control the MultiPlus via VictronConnect app (On, Off, etc).
  • Cerbo display would register the state of the MultiPlus (green light On, etc.)

After firmware updates:

• If the Cerbo is connected to the MultiPlus (via RJ cabling), the VE.Bus does not recognize the MultiPlus.
  • If the Cerbo is disconnected from the MultiPlus, the VE.Bus will see the MultiPlus, and it can be controlled via the app.
  • If the VE.Bus is connected and recognizes the MultiPlus w/o the Cerbo connected (and thus controls the MultiPlus as expected), and the Cerbo is then connected to the MultiPlus, the MultiPlus can no longer be controlled via the app (and will show the MultiPlus as "Initialising" regardless of its actual state).

The only changes to our system have been recent firmware updates. Very confused.

mppt.jpg

bmv.jpgcerbogx.jpg multiplus.jpg ve-dongle.jpg

Cerbo disconnected from the MultiPlus:

inverting.jpgCerbo connected to the MultiPlus:

intialising.jpg

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxVictronConnectVE.Bus Smart Dongle
bmv.jpg (134.1 KiB)
cerbogx.jpg (136.4 KiB)
multiplus.jpg (107.8 KiB)
ve-dongle.jpg (106.0 KiB)
mppt.jpg (127.8 KiB)
inverting.jpg (98.5 KiB)
intialising.jpg (87.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @rickgrubin,

The latest current firmware for the MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 120V - 2702 - is v497, and the latest current GX device firmware is v2.89.

I don't see specific fixes for the issues you are experiencing, but if you can't revert to the previous working versions (the easiest thing to do) for some reason, then I would recommend updating to those versions before troubleshooting any further.

It's strange that VictronConnect isn't showing this as the latest for your Multi thought? It's been included since VC 5.60.

cleanshot-2022-08-01-at-125429.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rickgrubin avatar image rickgrubin commented ·

Thank you for the reply Mr. Stewart. Instructions on how to revert versions and upgrade versions, or pointers to directions, would be most helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·
octafish avatar image
octafish answered ·

I believe I’m experiencing a similar issue. However, I have the Multiplus connected to a Raspberry Pi running Venus OS (Latest 2.89) through a MK3-USB dongle. I can see all the other Victron devices on my Simrad MFD. All firmware is updated as of yesterday.

I also have a Multi Digital Control that (I think) is causing the issue. When I disconnect it I can see the Multi on my MFD. When they are both connected I can’t find the Multi. But I don’t feel confident in the MFD controls for the Multi to drop the Digotal Control, since I also found it stuck in the initialising state without it. My next step is to test another RJ-45 cable…

2 |3000

rickgrubin avatar image
rickgrubin answered ·

Thank you for the reply @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager). Instructions on how to revert versions and upgrade versions, or pointers to directions, would be most helpful. I've searched through a number of existing questions / posts, and am not fully certain on the correct path forward.

I may be able to have the system see my wireless network if I can park in a proper place (system is in a van); I can utilize a Mac laptop paired to an iPhone to have wireless access. Is this sufficient or will I require a MK3-USB cabling device for the MultiPlus? And what's required for the Cerbo GX?

My apologies if the questions seem simple; it's a bit frustrating to have the VictronConnect app update, or not, to proper firmware versions.

2 |3000

octafish avatar image
octafish answered ·

I have been troubleshooting this connectivity issue but without success…

I am connecting a Multiplus (VE Bus) via ethernet cable to MK3-USB adapter to Raspberry Pi running Venus OS.

Then I’m connecting another ethernet cable from my Venus/Raspberry Pi to my router and Venus appears successfully on my Simrad MFD along with 1 smart shunt and 3 mppts.

I can’t get the Multiplus to show up on the listed devices or the MFD. I saw it appear only once, the first time I tested the configuration.

I also have a VE Bus bluetooth dongle connected to Multiplus to control through Victron Connect app. I can control it here.

I also tried eliminating a Multi Digital Control which I’d like to replace with Simrad MFD control.

What else can I try?!

I’ve tried different ethernet cables but that’s not the problem. The MK3-USB adapter appears on my laptop if I connect direct so that’s working.

I have all the latest firmwares. I’ve restarted multiple times. I swapped VE Bus ports on the Multiplus but that doesn’t fix anything either.

Help!

2 |3000

octafish avatar image
octafish answered ·

5ccc9d1c-4059-4130-a4c0-96888c1071ad.jpegThis is what I see in the VRM device list.

Should I delete the device and try a power cycle?

2 |3000

mward avatar image
mward answered ·

Was this ever resolved? I am having the same issue, recently updated the cerbo and now the cerbo and ve bus dongle won't play with eachother exactly as described above. This is INFURIATING to be left out to dry by victron with no support or answers to this problem.

6 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Mward,

There is a limitation in VE.Bus that restricts the 'primary' interface to a single device, and priority is given to the GX device if one is connected.

There is a section in the VE.Bus smart dongle manual here that describes it - https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Bus_Smart_Dongle/en/operation.html#UUID-5ce44717-2610-9c19-6794-0afccb095394

Behaviour might have differed in the past with older firmware versions, but the current behaviour described in the VE.Bus smart dongle manual is the 'intended' one for reliable operation.

It's unfortunate that (for now at least) you lose some of the local bluetooth features, in most but not all cases this is more than made up for by the VRM connection and apps.

0 Likes 0 ·
mward avatar image mward Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
I understand that, but my Cerbo GX Screen now does not show any data under ac input or ac loads and it shows the multiplus II as 'off'. Previously these data boxes on the screen worked. I want them back.
0 Likes 0 ·
Is it resolved if you remove the ve.bus smart dongle?
0 Likes 0 ·
No, unfortunately that doesn't seem to fix it.
0 Likes 0 ·

I added this in my original thread but I'll add it here: I feel exceptionally dumb, but I want to post this in case someone else does the same thing. My Cerbo is in an awkward place and I can reach over and flick the cat5 cable out when I connect the MK3 to make adjustments, and in the same way blindly reach back over there and plug it into the wrong hole and then spend days wondering why it's not working. If you come here because of this issue, doublecheck you're plugged into the correct port. It's closer to the base of the device. :(

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @Mward,

Really appreciate you coming back to post the solution and happy to hear it is now working.

Even if the solution seems silly, the smart part is figuring it out without giving up.

0 Likes 0 ·