question

hydrad avatar image
hydrad asked

Shunt Wiring Diagram

Hi have never installed any solar work or any kind of wiring for that matter, so I am wondering if my wiring schematic with a shunt is correct. Or, is therer anything else that I should include in the layout.

None of the Victron schematics show a ground, so I was not sure if I need to ground the system. I am more concerned with small charges that might harm sensitive equipment than I am with electrocution.

It is a 24V system with some devices running at 5V after a step down buck. None of the individual connected devices will be pulling more than +/- 0.2 amp. Do I need to ground any specific devices, or install any fuses? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

layout.png

SmartShuntsolarschematics
layout.png (841.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
rikhf avatar image
rikhf answered ·

If the devices need to be grounded I don't know but don't put the minus to ground. Instead connect the solar panel's frame to ground.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hydrad avatar image
hydrad answered ·

Thanks for the help. I will ground the solar panel fram and pole, and the metal enclosure for the equipment and battery.

Is it ok to put the battery in the same enclosure as the equipment. It is a Lithium Ion NMC battery. The metal enclosure will be closed up except for a fan opening on top and some vents near the bottom. I will have a datalogger and a Raspberry Pi in the enclosure. The sensors will connect to the enclosure through long cables.

Outside temperatures in this remote location can get up to 115 F during the peak of a summer heat wave. Would that be a problem for the battery?

2 |3000

Related Resources