question

Emre avatar image
Emre asked

Can SmartSolar & SmartShunt sense Load/Charge current and optimize?

I am planning to buy a smartshunt to my setup but I'm not sure if it helps smartsolar's adaptation to third party inverter usage. Could anybody verify? I have seen on one post that smartshunt doesn't share live current data through VE.network.

----

Long explanation: I want my system to recognise constantly changing load on my third party inverter and act accordingly. For example, at current setup I cannot set a proper tail amp for my bank. That annoys me. I'm currently way over my budget but if it helps I would buy that also.

Rv solar system:

Battery: lead gel deep cycle 12v 100ah x 10pcs / 2s 5p | midpoints connected

Battery balancing: no brand capacitive 2s balancer from amazon

Inverter: 3000w 230v cotek sk3000-224

Pv1: 3s 2p total 1380 w on 100/50 SmartSolar mppt

Pv2: 3s 1p total 615 w on 100/30 SmartSolar mppt

Both Mppt are on same ve.network and syncing.

SmartShuntsolarVE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@esunayg

The only time I have read of a smart shunt not sending live data over the VE Network is when a GX is connected, and the battery current data is only shown when the mppt is actually charging.

See here, last paragraph.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Emre avatar image
Emre answered ·

@Alexandra Thank you for your response. I was referring to this question (second post). I have read your link (the guide) before but I have thought it is referring the solar current, not considering shunt nor shows solar minus load current.

2 |3000

Emre avatar image
Emre answered ·

Update: I have just bought a smartshunt 500. Seems like doing more than i need. If youre also interested, check the manual not the smartshunt flyer like I did :). It tells almost everything about it. Hope it will help better understand battery status.

2 |3000