question

lawrence-craig avatar image
lawrence-craig asked

Solar Controllers going to float too early

Hi there. I have 3 x MPPTs on my boat connected to a SmartShunt which are all networked using VE Smart Network. I also use a Raspberry Pi running VenusOS which monitors the system. DVCC is off as I was told that SmartNetwork trumps DVCC.

I find at times (i.e. when I have been running the engine) that the charge controllers switch to Float mode too early. With my above setup, where are the controllers getting the information for when to switch from Abs to Float? Is there any way to force a reset for them to go through their cycle again? Any advice for improvement here?

Thanks

MPPT ControllersSmartShuntsolarVE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Lawrence Craig

The Adaptive charge algorithm is designed to shorten Abs time, based on the battery V when the mppts first start. Also the mppt(s) Tail setting will do this, and if networked will use Current from the Shunt rather than it's own.

I'd be using the wired network rather than the Smart. Both together, no!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lawrence-craig avatar image
lawrence-craig answered ·

Thanks.

Will have a look at the tail current.

2 |3000

Related Resources