question

richie-trent avatar image
richie-trent asked

BP-100 & BattleBorn BMS conflicting?

Hi All, We've been having some major issues with a system. All Victron components and BattleBorn 300ah bank. We've got a BP-100 installed as well. The system will be reading 100% (BMV-712) and battery voltages reflect this, but getting low voltage alarms from the components (fridge, heater) and basically it acts as if the system is dead.

I'm wondering if we could possibly have a conflict between the BP-100 and internal BMS of the batteries, or if the BP-100 is just faulty? It seems like something is cutting power to the system even when the batteries are at 100%.

Thoughts?

BMV Battery MonitorBMSBattery Protectvoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Richie Trent

I don't know the Battleborn BMS in detail, but it seems like the BMS is cutting power as a result of over current protection and not the BP.

Try reducing your loads down to the max discharge current of your batteries.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

richie-trent avatar image richie-trent commented ·
Thanks for the input. This is not an issue of over loading the system, or too high current. This system will normally cut out when the only loads are a fridge and fan, max current 20amps.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ richie-trent commented ·

A high inrush current from your fridge when the compressor starts, could cause the BMS to shut down.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Richie Trent

Have you checked for loose or corroded connections? Is the wiring the correct size? (Voltage drop under load)

Is the BP powering loads bigger than its amp rating?

1 comment
2 |3000

richie-trent avatar image richie-trent commented ·
Yes, I recently rebuilt the entire system and made sure every connection was tight and clean. Did not see anything out of the ordinary. I am starting to suspect there might be a faulty BMS in one of the batteries, but sometimes the system functions completely perfect, then all of a sudden will go into some sort of shutdown.
0 Likes 0 ·