question

michaeli avatar image
michaeli asked

Smartshunt to monitor solar panels

Ok crazy question. Can I use the smartshunt in dc energy mode in-line with my solar input to measure my solar on the high voltage string? 250vdc? I see that it seems to have an option that leads me to think that this may be an intended feature, but what are the limits of the shunt? I mean clearly it can handle the 64vdc batteries I have, but what is the MAX VOLTAGE it can handle on its VBATT+ input? I can’t seems find this info anywhere.

The reason I want to do this is so that that I can relay the info from my solar array into the Vrm as solar power in. I run two all in one units so I can’t put the smartshunt in-line with the output as it is internal.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

VRMSmartShuntEnergy Metervrm advanced
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

frankmsc68 avatar image frankmsc68 commented ·
Hi Michaeli,i just looked into this,beeing myself interested in monitoring solar strings....with round about €500 for a high voltage shunt up to 385 Vdc,having two strings,this would be rather an expensive way....Frank
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The input Voltage range is highlighted in the datasheet, the first field of the table:1650955270118.png

Datasheet here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-SmartShunt-EN.pdf

1650955270118.png (13.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michaeli avatar image
michaeli answered ·

I want sure if that carried over to dc energy mode or not. Can be confirmed?

6 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Supply voltage = "Battery voltage"

There is also an high voltage BMV but i think it can't be used as a DC meter.

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-700h

0 Likes 0 ·
michaeli avatar image michaeli Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
I wonder how I would find out if it can be used as an energy meter. I would like to use two of them to monitor two solar arrays, around 300v
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ michaeli commented ·

VRM dashboard would combine 2 mppts, but might be worth a look?

vrm-overview.png

vrm-solar.png

vrm-consumption.png

0 Likes 0 ·
vrm-overview.png (42.5 KiB)
vrm-solar.png (58.4 KiB)
vrm-consumption.png (61.9 KiB)
frankmsc68 avatar image frankmsc68 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
@Matthias Lange - DE :sorry to ask this here....with this BMV high version you can read the data on your phone via blue tooth,right?
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ frankmsc68 commented ·

@frankmsc68 The BMV-700H don't have build-in Bluetooth, you will need to connect a VE.direct Bluetooth dongle.
But there also is a BMV-710H with Bluetooth.

See datasheet/manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
frankmsc68 avatar image frankmsc68 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Vielen Dank und frohe Weihnachten,happy xmas to everyone,Frank
0 Likes 0 ·
pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

What communication modes are available on the all in one units? You might be able to get the stats via RS485 and and write it to a PV inverter on the Dbus.

2 |3000

panpower avatar image
panpower answered ·

You can only measure from the output (battery side) not from solar pv in. I have smartsolar and a pcm60x I measure the out of pcm60x to the battery.

2 |3000