question

matthias-roetzer avatar image
matthias-roetzer asked

SolarEdge SE3680H via SunSpec to GX Device

Hi all,

I've connected one SolarEdge SE3680H by means of ModbusTCP / SunSpec in summer 2021 to my OctoGX. I configured it by means of the Victron manual and everything went quickly fine as below.

1646824969577.png

The current issue started when I added a second SE3680H this year 2022 in February. The GX device (2.85~1) was not able to detect both inverters but data of first one was still shown.

Thus I checked the settings of the first inverter for comparison and was forced to perform a firmware update by means of "SetApp". After this firmware update now both SE3680H are not detected by the GX device and both are not shown via the GX device, although the first one was previously working well. (see screenshot above).

So, I suppose it has something to do with current SolarEdge firmware but maybe as well (or)with Victron GX firmware because in Summer 2021 I was running the current one at that time which was 2.7x I suppose.

So how to debug this issue? I was searching the web for a SunSpec browser and found the one from the SunSpec alliance but for downloading you need to be a member of the alliance :( and membership of $4000 is quite out of scope for me.

Therefore please suggest an easy debug method to verifiy if the SE inverters are providing data via ModBusTCP correctly. (eg without involving the GX device).

@mvader (Victron Energy) If you could find the time to take a look at this issue, I'd be very happy! Installation name is "FH22" and remote support tunnel is active. Feel free to scan for the SE inverters, they should be correctly configured. There local IPs are 10.0.0.5 and 10.0.0.18.

Best regards,

Matthias

ESSModbus TCPgx devicesolaredgesunspec
1646824969577.png (34.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Matthias, noted! we'll check. Matthijs
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Matthias Roetzer , we logged into your system and checked:

The thing to do is to disconnect the new one from the network, and to see if the old one comes back. Go back to the last thing that worked.

Solar Edge PV-inverters allow just one concurrent modbus connection. Maybe this fact, combined with there being two of them, causes something weird.

What we found while logged in was that you have two IP addresses listed for PV-inverters, and there seems to be SOMETHING there, but its not working. We can ping them, but cannot connect to port 502 (modbus). I can connect to port 80, but it is unresponsive. The ARP cache indicates the hardware addresses belong to Solar Edge.

So start with your PV-inverters. They don't appear to be working correctly, perhaps needs recommissioning after the firmware update. Or something.

have a good weekend, Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matthias-roetzer answered ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy) Many thanks for having a look.

Basically I did already what you suggested previously, but I did it again today to make sure.

So I tried the following:

• power off the new SE inverter - test only with old SE inverter (working in the beginning)
  • vice versa, power off the old SE inverter - test only with new SE inverter
  • testing both powered on
  • power off - on cycle for full reboot

further I did the typical network stuff like you did:

• ping: ok
  • TCP connect to 502 --> !OK
  • TCP connect to 80 and 443 OK but unresponsive
  • ARP for MAC vendor verification

See attached some screenshots of SE inverter config - should be good as I recall.

What I still have to do is a factory reset and start from scratch (recommissioning) - Keep you updated :)

What I would like to do is to go back in SE inverter firmware known to be working in summer 2021 but will be hard because earlier firmware can't be found on the web. At least not that I'm aware of. (Only available for older SE inverters with display)

So I'll probalby have to prove to SE somehow that thee is an issue with ModBusTCP.

Best regards,

Matthias

2022-03-17 14.16.29.jpg2022-03-17 14.35.47.jpg2022-03-17 14.36.35.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

matthias-roetzer avatar image matthias-roetzer commented ·
Hi @mvader (Victron Energy) ,

I've recently done the factory reset and configuration from scratch to the PV SE inverters . Still the same result, ping is successful, but connect to Port 502 fails. Will contact SE support to get their opinion.

Best regards,

Matthias

0 Likes 0 ·
Update: no answer from SolarEdge support yet :(
0 Likes 0 ·
matthias-roetzer answered ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy)

Got answer from SolarEdge Support.

They have identified a scurity issue and therefore closed Modbus TCP support in their recent inverter firmware when running on WiFi.

They are saying further Modbus TCP is still working on LAN cable. (Can't confirm that because not yet tested.)

I have asked them a few questions like:

• when are they going to close the security issue and restore Modbus TCP via WiFi
  • which SE inverter models are currently affected and will be eventually effected
  • how can we go back in SE firmware to restore Modbus TCP over WiFi feature
  • what kind of security issue they have detected and if it can be tackled by eg external network configuration.

As soon I get news, I'll report them here.

Best regards,

Matthias

2 comments
2 |3000

SolarEdge answered:
  • All inverter models without display are affected
  • firmware can be reverted back by SE support, but as soon as you connect by means of SetApp the recent firmware will be installed
  • Modbus TCP over WiFi is nowhere mentioned in the datasheets and/or manuals. Therefore I suppose they are not going to fix this (although they have not yet said so).
  • SE did not mention the type of security issue and therefore not mention any workaraound as well.

best regards,

Matthias

0 Likes 0 ·
matthias-roetzer avatar image matthias-roetzer matthias-roetzer commented ·

Hi everybody,

ModbusTCP over WiFi is available again with SE inverters. I don't know when this feature came back, but I can confirm it is definately available with the following SE firmware versions:

1668523333564.png

Best regards,

Matthias

0 Likes 0 ·
1668523333564.png (17.5 KiB)