question

jamesn2 avatar image
jamesn2 asked

Ruuvi with Cerbo GX & v2.84 not working

I bought the Ruuvi tag recently. My Cerbo software was older than 2.80 so I upgraded (v2.84 at the time). The bluetooth sensors option showed up, but I never saw the sensors - even if they were located right next to the Cerbo. I'm also using the touchscreen.

Any suggestions?

cerbo gxconnection issueruuvi sensors
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
tropical-wonder avatar image
tropical-wonder answered ·

Settings --> I/O

Ensure Bluetooth sensors is enabled

Then it should show the Ruuvis

May have to enable them individually on the I/O screen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

I saw a note on one of the changelogs that an external USB-Bluetooth dongle is recommended when you want to connect to the Ruuvi sensors as the internal Bluetooth antenna isn't very powerful.

> Cerbo GX requires a Bluetooth USB adapter for Bluetooth
The Bluetooth Radio in the Cerbo GX is not reliable enough to work with the Ruuvi sensors. Therefore, when installing Ruuvi sensors, we recommend to install a Bluetooth USB adapter. List of tested USB Bluetooth adapters.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Indeed, the built in Bluetooth is not reliable for the Ruuvis.

Specifically the issue is internal temperature related, so some in cold conditions may see it working for a while.

Regardless, for all it is recommended to use one of the very affordable USB Bluetooth dongles listed in Paul’s answer.

1 comment
2 |3000

l81ker avatar image l81ker commented ·

Hi @Guy -- the latest Beta (v3.00) has an update for this which could be useful for followers of this thread. See https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/189993/venus-os-v30021-available-for-testing.html

• Bluetooth improvements for Cerbo GX with serial-nr HQ2208 and later, as well as all Cerbo-S GX production. The temperature issue which makes the built-in bluetooth unreliable/unusable no longer applies:
    • Per mentioned serial numbers, a second Bluetooth radio has been added to the hardware. And per v3.00~14, Venus OS also uses that one; rather than the unreliable one. In more detail:
    • For VictronConnect connection, new radio is used.
    • For Ruuvis, all radios are used including any externally inserted ones (USB).

Warm regards, Clive

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources