question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.80~33 available for testing

Good evening!

Another one? After so many weeks of silence? Yes, already another one. And this adds the one feature that has been perhaps most requested for a long time: relays can now be switched on temperature:

1639762173639.png

In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program.

v2.80 summary

The version we're working on, v2.80, has various highlights: the new AC Load monitoring, the new DC metering function, and also various improvements to the HTML5 MFD App including addition of translations, added support for the Ruuvi Tag wireless temperature sensors, and since this version it adds relay control by temperature.

What to test?

Same as before: the new features I mentioned in the above summary as well basically everything:

There are several major changes in v2.80, which can each make things break in unexpected places. For those interested in the details, the changes I'm referring to here are (a) that the used Python version has been updated from 2.7 to 3, (b) the Open Embedded release was upgraded from Zeus to Dunfell, and we changed to a read-only rootfs. Also, various application level changes that reduce the CPU load per Victron device, useful when connecting many solar chargers for example, were made. That caused some regressions earlier, which are now fixed.

How to post an issue?

Preferably all issues are organised as answers to this question. One answer per issue. So first check the existing threads. If you have the same as someone else already reported, welcome to add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer. Note that Answers and Comments are two different things here on community.

Lastly, please first revert to v2.73, to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs, and one of the first things that needs doing in triaging a report is distinguishing between the two.

The plan for v2.80

We're speeding up now, to make this final as soon as possible.

Change log below.

All the best and have a good one!

Matthijs Vader

v2.80~33 change log, comparing to v2.80~32

• Add relay control based on temperature. For now, the best explanation about the new feature is here: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/721#issuecomment-991024894.. One remark: please do not post on that issue on github. Any remarks, questions and so forth can go down below in this thread on Community instead
  • Changed atmospheric pressure from kPa to hPa since thats the more common unit for that. Note that this will mess up graphs on VRM, to be fixed later - and probably means some data of past weeks will have to be deleted from the database
  • Add SOC sync and Extra battery current for Inverter RS and Multi RS.
    • SOC sync: For systems with a dedicated battery monitor, such as BMV or a Lynx Smart BMS, that SOC is auto-synced to the RS, so that the RS can use it for controlling a relay for example.
    • Extra battery current: for systems without a battery monitor but with Solar chargers, the current as reported by the solar chargers it synced to the Inverter RS or Multi RS, where they'll use it for their SOC calculations.

Changes between v2.80~29 and v2.80~32

• Further complete the support for the Multi RS. In more detail, a page in the UI has been added
  • Change how Shared Voltage Sense, Shared Current Sense and Shared Temperature Sense are transmitted out on VE.Can; note that this still needs further improvements, coming in the next v2.80 update.
  • Inverter RS: Add showing an error - if there is an error
  • Reduce CPU load induced by Fronius, SMA and other PV Inverters.
  • Fix bug where Shared Temperature Sense (STS) did not work between an analog temperature sensor connected directly to a GX Device and VE.Can-connected chargers such as MPPTs. This bug has been in the system since its introduction, approx v2.40, and does not affect any other combinations.
  • Add various data to allow the details in the Generator block on VRM Dashboard. See one of the slides in here and then the orange star.
  • Add transmission to VRM of humidity % as well as barometric pressure of the wireless Ruuvi sensors.

Developers, ModbusTCP, Node-RED, MQTT:

• Note that, throughout various v2.80 beta versions, we removed the Pv/Current path aka register from our internal databus. Going forward, to use that, you need to calculate it by dividing the power by the voltage.

Various fixes for regressions introduced earlier in v2.80 development:

• Fix poor wifi performance that either in some or all cases occurred when enabling Bluetooth connection to the wireless temperature sensors. Introduced earlier during v2.80 development
  • Fix bug in NMEA2000-out. The PV array current (Amps) was no longer transmitted. Bug was introduced earlier during v2.80 development.
  • Fix issue in Generator Start/Stop. Bug was introduced earlier in v2.80 development. Thank you @Kevin Windrem and @Elimac for reporting.
  • Fix bug where data flow from VE.Can connected devices could get stuck after a connection issue. Bug introduced earlier during v2.80.

Changes between v2.80~24 and v2.80~29:

• Support SmartShunt DC Energy meters configured as "DC System". Two things happen when one or more SmartShunts are configured as such: (1) the power shown in the DC system box is the sum of powers reported by all SmartShunts configured as such. Allowing multiple meters is done to accommodate for example a catamaran, then you can measure the DC Systems on Port side and on Starboard side. Use the Custom name setting to give each of the meters configured as DC System their own name. (2) the DC System Current is being compensated for when setting DVCC charge current limits to Multis, Quattros and Solar Chargers. Which in more detail mains that for example when a load of 50A is being measured, and CCL by the battery is 25A, the limit given to the Multis & Solar Chargers is 75A.

And the notes: (A) instead of a SmartShunt, also a BMV-712 can be used. (B) Setting it to be a DC System is done in the settings of the BMV/SmartShunt itself.

• VRM Portal Connection: prepare for more details on Generator box on the VRM Dashboard.

• Reduce CPU load. By making various changes, all relating how the different software components exchange their data, the CPU load is reduced. Note that by how much this is reduced, and if and how this changes the maximum number of connectable devices is not yet known, we still need to measure that in detail.

• Fix broken status updates during VE.Bus (Multi/Quattro) firmware updates

• Fix missing "Recharge" text in ESS BatteryLife state field. It said "Uknown" since Venus OS v2.20.

• Fix Garmin MFD issue that appeared in a certain start-up sequence, this issue most likely existed in the design since the beginning.

• NMEA2000-out: fix Solar sender DC instance storage to non-volatile memory. This never worked right, until now.

• Fix support for Multi firmware versions prior to version 153. This was broken in v2.80~2.

• Some more VE.Bus protocol related stability improvement, mostly affecting quite specific systems or circumstances.

• Update recognition of Fimer grid-tie PV Inverters: Fimer recently acquired ABB and is now updating the names and recognition strings in the code.

Previous changelogs:

Complete v2.80 change log, compared to v2.73:

(still..) no time for that now, I'll make that later.

Venus OS
1639762173639.png (212.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered Ā·

Having a problem with the new Relay switch based on temperature.

I have a Cerbo GX, with three temperature probes connected to the Analogue Inputs.

1639765004699.png

These are working correctly

1639765048242.png

Enabled the relays to mode temperature

1639765125166.png

Nothing in the temperature sensor menu

1639764940164.png

But, when I go into one of the temperature sensors there is an option, I can configure it and it works.

1639765206061.png

Should something have been displayed in that Temperature Sensor Menu?

1639764940164.png (39.7 KiB)
1639765004699.png (95.8 KiB)
1639765048242.png (100.1 KiB)
1639765125166.png (100.1 KiB)
1639765206061.png (70.0 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

The temperature sensor page shows a list with all the temperature sensors with direct access to the relay configuration.

Please, try to reboot and check that page again.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Sarah avatar image Sarah jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

I had the same problem on my Cerbo GX. Once I enabled one sensor and returned to the sensor temp page they all popped up.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
bathnm avatar image bathnm jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
I have not rebooted, but the page is there. I suspect its like @Sarah. I have enabled one so the page refreshed and they popped up.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered Ā·

Looks like a bugā€¦.

enabled relay for temperature,my existing working temp sensor has now been deleted and has disappeared and number 1 has appeared In the device list!.

even a reboot wouldnā€™t fix it2e4f75f9-5654-4671-a4ef-1dd4c5dc7c69.png

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi Mark, noted, weā€™ll look into it.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered Ā·

Very cool! I've been using the relay on the BMV to control things by temp so it's nice to see this is coming to the cerbo!

2 |3000

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered Ā·
  • Changed atmospheric pressure from kPa to hPa since thats the more common unit for that. Note that this will mess up graphs on VRM, to be fixed later - and probably means some data of past weeks will have to be deleted from the database

It still carries the wrong unit although the decimal point is already in the right place.

bildschirmfoto-2021-12-22-um-104404.png

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
That is sloppy. Thanks weā€™ll fix that.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Ulrich avatar image
Ulrich answered Ā·

After updating to version 2.80-33 I noticed the following:

Ruuvi tabs work just fine. Thank you for the involvement.

Note 1:

Since the update (today around 10 a.m.) I have had transmission failures again and again. See: https://www.zoomsoft.de/grafana (Please set today's date.)

The alarm is set for three minutes. The data comes from a USB GPS mouse.

Note 2: (solved)

The data from "solarcharger / PV / I" has also been missing since then. See: https://www.zoomsoft.de/grafana/d/zsbw/banu-womo?orgId=1&viewPanel=142

I found that. I will adapt the InfluxDB query in Grafana.

Note 3:

The naming of the Ruvvi tags does not allow German umlauts.

Or should I rather post these points on Github?

5 comments
2 |3000

<<Note 3:

The naming of the Ruvvi tags does not allow German umlauts.>>

AFAIK it never was possible to use 'Umlaute' in Venus OS regardless of the chosen language. So this may not be related to RuuviTags but to Venus in general.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
bathnm avatar image bathnm commented Ā·
Might not be a bug or issue. Take a look at the release notes or search the forum. Either power or amps was removed, can not remember which. The basis is that with two of the three values the third can be calculated.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Hi Ulrich, no here is best to report. No need for github issues.

Noted and weā€™ll have a look. Merry christmas!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Ps: what do you mean with transmission errors? Its not immediately clear to me
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Ulrich avatar image Ulrich mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

There is a GPS Mouse connected to the Cerbo GX. So i could track the numbers of satellites. I visualize it with grafana. After Updating to .33 there are many interrupts.

1640687304018.pngSee also https://www.zoomsoft.de/grafana

But other data from the GPS Mouse works well:

1640687450918.pngThe point was this startet with the update (23.12.2021 10:00). Should i go back to the stable channel to test, if it changed? (Could i go back?)

Regards

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1640687304018.png (38.9 KiB)
1640687450918.png (62.9 KiB)
josick-dufresne avatar image
josick-dufresne answered Ā·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy) !

Another small idea for VRM.

It should be nice that inverter shows voltage ( tension ) with the others informations.

And consumption of the inverter.

Like in the modified version of the vrm in screenshot.

Just an idea .

Thanks for ur work.victron-vrm-idea.jpg

victron-vrm-idea.jpg (102.6 KiB)
2 |3000

info-6 avatar image
info-6 answered Ā·

Just to close my issue with RUUVI TAG from version ~29:

Since I'm running ~33 on the Cerbo, all connections are stable, without interruptions.

Thanks for fixing this and also for all your efforts to provide a good OS for us.

Best Regards

Hartmut

2 |3000

klassisch avatar image
klassisch answered Ā·

Can Card "Waveshare" on Raspi B not detected with 2.80~33

Updating a Raspi B with Waveshare CAN card from ~29 to ~33 leads to a loss of connectivity to pylontech battery via CAN.

"CAN" completely disappeared in the ->settings -> services menue

Downgrading to ~29 shows CAN and Pylontech again.

2 |3000

daniel avatar image
daniel answered Ā·

Ruuvi Tags problem on Raspi 3B with 2.80~33

I have only two Ruuvi sensor (RuuviTag Pro, RuuviTag), only one is enabled, but in bluetooth screen is more sensors, some without name, or bad name.

bt-sceen.png

Temperature sensors is blank (Function in Relay is setting to Temperature)

relay-temp.png

VRM portal show (insane) Barometric Pressure but enabled is only RuuviTag Pro without pressure sensor.

pressure.png

bt-sceen.png (78.5 KiB)
relay-temp.png (43.6 KiB)
pressure.png (85.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Ulrich avatar image Ulrich commented Ā·

First of all, I made a firmware update for all RuuviTags. I used the IOs app for this.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
gregoryx avatar image
gregoryx answered Ā·

Diggin the RUUVI tags. Had already run wires for temp sensors but these are easier - and I got some humidity info. But wondering if they'll be supported for alarms.

RUUVI temps working great. Showing in VRM.

1641184331699.png

But can't make an alarm on the RUUVIs.

1641184373484.png

1641184331699.png (14.7 KiB)
1641184373484.png (83.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered Ā·

With a Venus Unit using Fw 2.80~33

It seems that if you have a solar Tile and its there when using a AC Current sensor - and a Assistant in the Multiplus II -

Then the tile disappears after a remote system update (ie changing the voltage setpoint on the multiplus). when using the vrm remote VE Confgure update

A reboot of the Venus Device fixes the issue and the tile reappears

1641185303854.png
After update has finished

1641185551639.png

1641185364616.png

Edit was adding pictures

1641185303854.png (26.3 KiB)
1641185364616.png (16.2 KiB)
1641185551639.png (21.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources