A new version available for field testing, v2.80~29.
In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program.
The version we're working on, v2.80, has a few highlights: the new AC Load monitoring, the new DC metering function, and also various improvements to the HTML5 MFD App, including the addition of translations as well as the added support for the Ruuvi Tag wireless temperature sensors.
What to test?
Same as before: the new features I mentioned just now. As well as, just like announced previously, basically everything: there are several major changes in v2.80, which can each make things break in unexpected places. For those interested in the details, the changes I'm referring to here are (a) that the used Python version has been updated from 2.7 to 3, (b) the Open Embedded release was upgraded from Zeus to Dunfell, and lastly (c) we changed to a read-only rootfs. All combined this means that lots of tools and packages used will have changed to a newer version, and lots of Victron code has been changed to be compatible with Python 3.
How to post an issue?
Preferably all issues are organised as answers to this question. One answer per issue. So first check the existing threads. If you have the same as someone else already reported, welcome to add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer. Note that Answers and Comments are two different things here on community.
Lastly, if possible please revert to v2.73, to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs, and one of the first things that needs doing in triaging a report is distinguishing between the two.
The plan for v2.80
We still need more time to both finish and test all the changes made. And as such I'm not sure yet when v2.80 will become official.
Change log below.
All the best and have a good one!
Changes since previous test version, which was v2.80~24:
- Support SmartShunt DC Energy meters configured as "DC System". Two things happen when one or more SmartShunts are configured as such: (1) the power shown in the DC system box is the sum of powers reported by all SmartShunts configured as such. Allowing multiple meters is done to accommodate for example a catamaran, then you can measure the DC Systems on Port side and on Starboard side. Use the Custom name setting to give each of the meters configured as DC System their own name. (2) the DC System Current is being compensated for when setting DVCC charge current limits to Multis, Quattros and Solar Chargers. Which in more detail mains that for example when a load of 50A is being measured, and CCL by the battery is 25A, the limit given to the Multis & Solar Chargers is 75A.
And the notes: (A) instead of a SmartShunt, also a BMV-712 can be used. (B) Setting it to be a DC System is done in the settings of the BMV/SmartShunt itself.
- VRM Portal Connection: prepare for more details on Generator box on the VRM Dashboard.
- Reduce CPU load. By making various changes, all relating how the different software components exchange their data, the CPU load is reduced. Note that by how much this is reduced, and if and how this changes the maximum number of connectable devices is not yet known, we still need to measure that in detail.
- Fix broken status updates during VE.Bus (Multi/Quattro) firmware updates
- Fix missing "Recharge" text in ESS BatteryLife state field. It said "Uknown" since Venus OS v2.20.
- Fix Garmin MFD issue that appeared in a certain start-up sequence, this issue most likely existed in the design since the beginning.
- NMEA2000-out: fix Solar sender DC instance storage to non-volatile memory. This never worked right, until now.
- Fix support for Multi firmware versions prior to version 153. This was broken in v2.80~2.
- Some more VE.Bus protocol related stability improvement, mostly affecting quite specific systems or circumstances.
- Update recognition of Fimer grid-tie PV Inverters: Fimer recently acquired ABB and is now updating the names and recognition strings in the code.
- v2.80~24: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/104939/venus-os-v28024.html
- v2.80~21: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/102911/venus-os-v28019-available-for-testing.html
- v2.80~17: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/101754/venus-os-v28017-available-or-testing.html
- v2.80~16: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/100658/venus-os-v28016-available-for-testing.html
- v2.80~14: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/98618/venus-os-v28013-available-for-testing.html
- v2.80~10: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/97155/venus-os-v28010-available-for-testing.html
Complete v2.80 change log, compared to v2.73:
(still..) no time for that now, I'll make that later.