question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.80~29 available for testing

Good evening!

A new version available for field testing, v2.80~29.

In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program.

v2.80 summary

The version we're working on, v2.80, has a few highlights: the new AC Load monitoring, the new DC metering function, and also various improvements to the HTML5 MFD App, including the addition of translations as well as the added support for the Ruuvi Tag wireless temperature sensors.

What to test?

Same as before: the new features I mentioned just now. As well as, just like announced previously, basically everything: there are several major changes in v2.80, which can each make things break in unexpected places. For those interested in the details, the changes I'm referring to here are (a) that the used Python version has been updated from 2.7 to 3, (b) the Open Embedded release was upgraded from Zeus to Dunfell, and lastly (c) we changed to a read-only rootfs. All combined this means that lots of tools and packages used will have changed to a newer version, and lots of Victron code has been changed to be compatible with Python 3.

How to post an issue?

Preferably all issues are organised as answers to this question. One answer per issue. So first check the existing threads. If you have the same as someone else already reported, welcome to add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer. Note that Answers and Comments are two different things here on community.

Lastly, if possible please revert to v2.73, to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs, and one of the first things that needs doing in triaging a report is distinguishing between the two.

The plan for v2.80

We still need more time to both finish and test all the changes made. And as such I'm not sure yet when v2.80 will become official.

Change log below.

All the best and have a good one!

Matthijs Vader

Changes since previous test version, which was v2.80~24:

• Support SmartShunt DC Energy meters configured as "DC System". Two things happen when one or more SmartShunts are configured as such: (1) the power shown in the DC system box is the sum of powers reported by all SmartShunts configured as such. Allowing multiple meters is done to accommodate for example a catamaran, then you can measure the DC Systems on Port side and on Starboard side. Use the Custom name setting to give each of the meters configured as DC System their own name. (2) the DC System Current is being compensated for when setting DVCC charge current limits to Multis, Quattros and Solar Chargers. Which in more detail mains that for example when a load of 50A is being measured, and CCL by the battery is 25A, the limit given to the Multis & Solar Chargers is 75A.

And the notes: (A) instead of a SmartShunt, also a BMV-712 can be used. (B) Setting it to be a DC System is done in the settings of the BMV/SmartShunt itself.

• VRM Portal Connection: prepare for more details on Generator box on the VRM Dashboard.

• Reduce CPU load. By making various changes, all relating how the different software components exchange their data, the CPU load is reduced. Note that by how much this is reduced, and if and how this changes the maximum number of connectable devices is not yet known, we still need to measure that in detail.

• Fix broken status updates during VE.Bus (Multi/Quattro) firmware updates

• Fix missing "Recharge" text in ESS BatteryLife state field. It said "Uknown" since Venus OS v2.20.

• Fix Garmin MFD issue that appeared in a certain start-up sequence, this issue most likely existed in the design since the beginning.

• NMEA2000-out: fix Solar sender DC instance storage to non-volatile memory. This never worked right, until now.

• Fix support for Multi firmware versions prior to version 153. This was broken in v2.80~2.

• Some more VE.Bus protocol related stability improvement, mostly affecting quite specific systems or circumstances.

• Update recognition of Fimer grid-tie PV Inverters: Fimer recently acquired ABB and is now updating the names and recognition strings in the code.

Previous changelogs:

Complete v2.80 change log, compared to v2.73:

(still..) no time for that now, I'll make that later.

Venus OS
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Here is a schematic showing the use of the shunts

A) main shunt, configured for battery monitoring

B and D) Shunts configured as DC Meters, metering the output of the two alternators.

C and D) Shunts configured to measure the Port side circuit and the SB side circuit.

Sorry for using the D twice :-).

This way, you’ll be able to meter the power and amps drawn by the two load circuits SB and PS. As well as individually meter the outputs of the two alternators.

And on the overview, in DC system, it will show the total of those two DC Systems. Note that even though properly measured, the Alternator current(s) will still not be shown in the overview, thats still on the list to add. Meanwhile you can always see it in the Device list, each alternator will have an individual entry in that list. Just like each of the two DC Systems.

bf30074f-93e0-4a06-a0c7-3edc3daf2191.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
jwfrary avatar image jwfrary mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Can you use just shunt A and shunt B and leave the DC loads to me measured by shunt A?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ jwfrary commented ·
hi @Jwfrary yes you can do that. There then is the same problem as now sometimes: the DC measurement by the MultiPlusses is not perfect. So taking the difference between their reading and the reading from Shunt A causes some unexpected results sometimes. Which is for an indication good enough; but when people want it really accurate they now can, by installing those load measurement shunts.
0 Likes 0 ·
jwfrary avatar image jwfrary mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) Thanks for the reply, quickly running out of ve.direct ports now! Our systems been up on the CCGX since the day .29 came out and has been stable so that's good!

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image Sarah mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
This is more or less the same configuration that we are installing on our cat. Already have Alternator shunts installed and installing the DC System this weekend. Thanks for the great work and looking forward to the results.
0 Likes 0 ·
17 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

The watts divided by volts is not 20.4 amps more like 42 amps and external current check confirms 42 amps is correct.

also on ac out I am seeing positive watts and negative amps

Also generator current limits set on a 2 x 24/5000 in paralle system still seem to be double whats selected.

1637021675483.png

1637021675483.png (106.9 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @Paul B can you check if the connector for the 'external current sensor' is the cause? insert a 3,5mm plug a couple of times to see if that helps.
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Daniel, these are 2 x 24v 5000 Multiplus units so they do not have a external current sensor
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Paul B commented ·
Hi Paul, was this solved?
0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I know this may be premature and I know you typically don't talk about new products, but with this new DC Meter option for the smart shunt (awesome by the way), any plans for smaller shunts like 50 or 100 amp models for better resolution?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Nebulight, yes; nothing under development yet but its the logical next step indeed.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

The highlighted field (device name) stays blank when a new device, here a MultiPlus (FW 490), is added to the system (on a Pi 4). The Multi appears correctly in the device list. Re-detection does not help but reboot does.

bildschirmfoto-2021-11-19-um-171821.png

2 comments
2 |3000

Noted, thank you Stefanie.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Stefanie. This should be fixed in Venus 2.80-30.

Thanks for reporting.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The relay-based generator interface isn't working in v2.80~29.

The service keeps starting and crashing. I have removed all my system mods (GuiMods, GeneratorConnector and SetupHelper) and the issue persists.

v.280~24 does not have this problem however a generator alarm appears when the generator is started, but only on systems without a Multi. v2.73 has the same problem and I can't go back farther since v2.73 is the first version supported for the RPI 4.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Kevin, thanks! Fixed per v2.80~32, released just now.
0 Likes 0 ·
mrhappy avatar image
mrhappy answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Hi. I asked about this six weeks ago but never got an answer, I wonder, is this specific issue addressed in this release?:

RasPi 3B+, Multiplus-II 24/3000/70, VenusOs Large v2.80_21-large-23.

I am controlling charge amperage via modbus register 2705 (com.victronenergy.settings/DVCC system max charge current). It works fine. But I have found one inconsistency. In the CCGX-Modbus-TCP-register-list the range of that address is described as -32768 to 32767, but when I send -1 to it to disable the charger, the response I get is this:

1. "RangeError: The value of "value" is out of range. It must be >= 0 and <= 65535. Received -1"

Is there any plan to fix this so the charger can be disabled/enabled via modbus?

Best Regards,

Mr Happy

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @MrHappy , I'll look into this and report back on it - have asked a colleague.
0 Likes 0 ·
mrhappy avatar image mrhappy mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you, sir!
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mrhappy commented ·

Hi, two things. First of all, -1 is not going to disable the charger. It is going to disable the (user) limit, ie it will enable all chargers to do their full configured current.

But also, you should be able to write a -1. We checked, and can't reproduce that. Perhaps the tool you use to write -1 is not doing in the right format. The error message you copied is not coming from our system, it must be generated by your tool. On our side register 2705 is definitively defined as an int16, not an unsigned int. See here:
https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus_modbustcp/blob/master/attributes.csv

0 Likes 0 ·
mrhappy avatar image mrhappy mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

1.Ok, it says in the modbus list "-1 disables" and I incorrectly assumed "disables charger" while it means "disable charge limit". Thanks for that clarification.

2.The tool I use is "modbus write" node in node-red. It successfully sends any instruction to 2705 except for -1. See picture:

screenshot-2021-12-16-094804.png

3. Is there any plans for making it possible to disable the charger through modbus? I would appreciate that function.

Thank you for your time, sir.

0 Likes 0 ·
David avatar image
David answered ·

I noticed you used CCL in the release notes. As discussed elsewhere in the forum, CCL is ignored completely when DC feed-in is enabled? I find it strange how differently the system functions the second DC feed-in is enabled. CCL is thrown out the window and CVL is apparently the only mechanism to control charge. It’s weird and from what I can tell mostly undocumented that this major change in function occurs when DC feed-in is enabled?

It would be really helpful if I could understand this big difference in operation and the reasons behind it.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @David that has been answered here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/106290/bug-in-ess-dc-feed-in-enabled-charge-current-limit.html

I've given you lots of tips on improving your diy battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
David avatar image David Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

You’ve done nothing to answer my question thou. I have asked repeatedly for details on why there is a major, undocumented change in operation with DC Feed in enabled.

You have attacked my battery and knowledge. I can assure you, my battery is balanced and working fine.

I’m asking for reasons why there is a change in operation between modes and have yet to receive any information. I really don’t believe ignoring CCL is a good idea at stage for any battery.

Also - you seem to contradict your own documentation. For example, the Pylontech documentation clearly states that CCL is used to protect the batteries in various situations, low temp as one example. With Dc Feed-in, these protections won’t work because CCL is being ignored.

I am of the belief that CCL being ignored when Dc Feed-in is enabled is a bug, and not by design.

0 Likes 0 ·
daryl avatar image daryl David commented ·

David, with respect, unless this is a new problem caused by Venus OS v2.80~29, please stop posting about it in this thread.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Removing a RuuviTag sensor physically (out of reach for BLE) from the system is a bit clumsy.

• the sensor remains in the device list (until reboot)
  • does not clear from the Bluetooth sensor list (until after reboot and even then there are still remnants like the HEX number of the sensor or the enable/disable slider)
  • keeps showing in VRM (see screenshot) even after 24 hours.

bildschirmfoto-2021-11-23-um-113155.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Stefanie,

> 1. the sensor remains in the device list (until reboot)

you actually can remove it from the Device List (of the gui, ie in Remote Console and GX Touch), by using the "Remove disconnected devices" option, which automatically appears in the bottom of the Device List. I tried that just now, works fine.

> 2. does not clear from the Bluetooth sensor list (until after reboot and even then there are still remnants like the HEX number of the sensor or the enable/disable slider)

I see something strange as well on my system: that empty line is also from a sensor no longer available.1639603230505.png

> 3. keeps showing in VRM (see screenshot) even after 24 hours.

Noted Stefanie, will be fixed. thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
1639603230505.png (90.6 KiB)
macelly avatar image
macelly answered ·

I see a inconsistence in the charging/DC Power and the real charging (real battery monitoring BMS)

MultiPlus 1600/12/70 / BMV 712 / Pi2b or Pi4 / Wattstude 300A/12V LT battery

As soon as charging is beginning the Charging Current (empty battery) has a max of about 52 (default), the current is set to the max (70A). The rest of the current is added to DC Power (roughly 100Watt), to get about 60/62 Amps

It is always compared to the current of 52, so if the current drops to 48 A for a while, it has still the roughly 100 watts added to DC Power, those 2 together is indeed de charging load of the battery (BMS readout) which is that moment 56/58 amps. In the sense of total load it is consistence. DC load without charging is roughly 40 watt.

I do not know if this is related to this release only.

png-image-2021-11-23-13-00-58.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @MacElly , the DC Power tile shows the difference from the reading by the battery and the reading by the inverter/charger. Which is known to be not very precise. This DC Power widget can be useful on a boat or RV, having DC powered lights, pumps, and so forth.

Do you have DC loads? If not, then I recommend to switch that box off to prevent the confusion. See Settings -> System Setup -> Has DC System.

0 Likes 0 ·
Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered ·

I am having the same problem as Kevin Windrem.

I use the "start generator" option to connect to Grid and charge batteries when sun is not enough in Winter. Does not work in ~29. Says "Generator not connected". Tried several options in Venus OS to overcome this, but couldn't.

I reverted back to ~24 and is working fine.

I need this option now, as sun is scarce in November... :(

2 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
same issue here as well on a few test sites had to roll back to 2.80~24 as well
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Paul B commented ·

solved in v2.80~32. and thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Remote console buttons disappeared on the app.

(Simrad nso evo2) ccgx

3 comments
2 |3000

thank you, we'll look into this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Tested on a Simard MFD with v2.80 (release) and the button appears and works in all states.

@Jwfrary, do you still have this issue with the CCGX?
0 Likes 0 ·
jwfrary avatar image jwfrary Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
@Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff) the ccgx developed a display fault, and everything is now working as it should with the cerbo that replaced it.
0 Likes 0 ·
johnny-brusevold avatar image
johnny-brusevold answered ·

Is there a bluetooth driver / overlay file for pi 3b + (miniuart-bt-overlay)

I do not know if it's just the miniuart-bt-overlay or the kernel driver that is the problem.

I get these error messages 20 to 30 lines every minute

Bluetooth: hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-84)
Bluetooth: hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-84)
Bluetooth: hci0: Dropping invalid advertising data
Bluetooth: hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-90)

For now I have added dtoverlay=disable-bt-overlay in /u-boot/config.txt

Have tested all venus os versions, but are running Venus OS v2.80 ~ 29 now. Same error on all versions

I get the error messages on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

Everything works as it should on the Raspberry Pi OS

From what I read online, does pi3b and up use another type of UART?

I'll be happy if anyone has a solution to this

2 |3000

nalenb avatar image
nalenb answered ·

I'm reading the MQTT values from the Cerbo GX running v2.80~29. I have a solar charger hooked up to ve.direct. I'm trying to read the DBusPath "/Pv/I" and nothing is coming back from the MQTT Broker. I can read other values such as "/Pv/V". If I downgrade the Cerbo GX to v2.73 the value for "/Pv/I" comes through fine. I'm reading a bunch of other values for battery, system, tank, temperature, etc. and everything else is working.

2 comments
2 |3000

tobi17 avatar image tobi17 commented ·

You cannot use "/Pv/I" anymore. The current needs to be calculated from the "/Yield/Power" and "/Pv/V" (/Yield/Power Divide /Pv/V ). As I remember correctly, this was changed because multiple mppt inverters synchronized could return wrong numbers. I think this is somewhere in the changelog.

0 Likes 0 ·
tobi17 avatar image tobi17 tobi17 commented ·
Addition: The new current calculation is within the GUI as well.
0 Likes 0 ·
josick-dufresne avatar image
josick-dufresne answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)
Hi !
Thanks for your work.
small idea for venus OS 2.8 in VRM.
it should be nice that the system shows generator stats in front page of VRM ( like generator kwh consumed ).
Used as well in the graphic bar just neer.

Like in the joined picture ( small modified version to present the idea ).

It could be nice as well to be able to parameter the front page to hide network grid informations for example if we are offgrid.

Thanksideavrm.jpg

ideavrm.jpg (69.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

noted!
0 Likes 0 ·
johnny-brusevold avatar image
johnny-brusevold answered ·

For those who want to experiment a bit with pi4 v1.4 8GB, it works well to add a new kernel.

Venus firmware v2.80~30

kernel v. raspberrypi4 5.10.83-v7l +

Has only 3 x BlueSolar 100/30, BMV 712, GPS, 4 port isolated usb hub to test with

Uses wired network, but wifi and bluetooth also work

No error messages in log

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

seems that we have stalled on 2.80~29 - how are things progressing toward a usable update.

1 comment
2 |3000

daryl avatar image daryl commented ·
I see references to 2.80~30 & 2.80~31 in github. I am really hanging for the release, the symmetrical ESS 3-phase feature will mean I don't import have from the grid anymore when my huge single phase air conditioner is running and exceeds the limit of the inverter on that phase.
0 Likes 0 ·
info-6 avatar image
info-6 answered ·

Ruuvi Tag show "not connected" in irregular intervals.

It happens sometimes after several minutes, sometimes after a few days. Usually, only a restart of Cerbo brings them back, but I had it once that not even a restart (warm start) could wake them up again. The sensors were also not shown under I/O>Bluetooth sensors anymore, so I needed to disconnect Cerbo from 12 Volt and after cold start the sensors appeared again.

Afterwards again they show "Not connected" frequently. Seems that the new Bluetooth function is not stable yet.

Cerbo is not connected to WiFi, but to LAN.

4 comments
2 |3000

That's strange. I cannot confirm this for my installation with 7 RuuviTags. They have never been disconnected since the very first day of this firmware version. Even the one in the fridge (stainless steel) has no problems. They are all within 6m distance to the Cerbo GX.

bildschirmfoto-2021-12-14-um-202443.png

0 Likes 0 ·
info-6 avatar image info-6 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
This I heard from others, too. I really have no idea why it happens with my installation, which works like a charm in all respects, except Ruui Tags :-(
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ info-6 commented ·
Hi info-6, when it happens again, can you @-mention me here and post your VRM URL? Would be great if we can login and see what the issue is.

My first guess would be that its something to do with range- but then they should also be found again after a while without having to reboot.

0 Likes 0 ·
info-6 avatar image info-6 mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi mvader,

OK, I'll do so. Just checked, but Ruuvis are still online.

Is it safe to post the URL here?

Best Regards

Hartmut

0 Likes 0 ·
tobi17 avatar image
tobi17 answered ·

Just a small feedback: Performance on a Venus GX has improved noticeable on 2.80~29

1 comment
2 |3000

thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources