question

interestingfellow avatar image
interestingfellow asked

Is DIY Bluetooth Tank Sender possible? (or other BT sensors)

I was curious if diy bluetooth sensors are possible for VenusOS?

I feel like it would be much simpler for many reasons to build a small arduino with hc05 to interface with my tank senders at the stock analog panel and have it connect to VenusOS via BT. this would possibly open the door for other kinds of homebrew BT sensors.

I'm sorry for asking such a noob question, but I'm having a hard time finding anything like this. Just point me in the right direction, if you can, please.

Bluetoothtank monitorsensordiy
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robsweet avatar image robsweet commented ·

You might be interested to know that I've been working with Victron and Mopeka to add support for Mopeka tank sensors to Victron's platform. The basic development is mostly done. Victron's folks are reviewing it and figuring out how/when to get it into the main code repo.

1 Like 1 ·
Mitchell Stone avatar image Mitchell Stone commented ·

I also would like to see a small stand alone product similar to the smart battery sense that I could connect to a resistive sender to read and display an output (in % remaining or have it configurable to set certain ohm values to litres remaining) on the victron connect app via Bluetooth.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi see here for where I would recommend to start making changes to the GX device code:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/52274/venus-raspberry-pi-read-other-ble-device.html

and to complete the advice: I recommend to make your DIY sensor such that it broadcasts the tank level over BLE. Ie users the advertisements. Not some connected GATT profile.

thats as far I can help now; success!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gone-sailing avatar image
gone-sailing answered ·

So you probably already realise this but the chipset on most Arduinos that supports Bluetooth also supports Wi-Fi. And if you can do Wifi then you can use MQTT. Victron provides a well documented dbus-Mqtt interface you can use.

2 |3000

Related Resources