question

coreyzev avatar image
coreyzev asked

Wireless Sensors - API? - DIY Options? (temp, tank, etc)

Hello,

So today (I think) I'm writing in to ask about the lack of public API for data to publish to my VenusOS VRM. In particular I'd really love to be able to use DIY sensors for temp and/or tank levels, that I could see from my VRM homepage, or Android Widgets. But also, I cant see why there wouldnt be room for any short form data to be pushed to VRM regularly.

I've seen previous answers on this topic that are a year old, so I guess I'm adding my 2 cents, and asking if there are any updates. I'm very grateful that you've added the options for Mopeka and Ruuvi sensors, but I'm not prepared to spend $40-$70 per sensor at the moment, and I have the DIY skills to make my own for less.

It would be great to have the option to use ESP8266 (wifi) or NRF52 (BT/BLE) platforms and send the data to VenusOS. Examples:

I would really love to be able to program alarms to send me push notifications in the app. This would increase the value of my current and future Victron components quite a bit.

I'd love to know what blockers are in the way of this happening if it's not possible.

Thank you very much!

Corey

-

ps: I'd also be interested in how to do this wired, but wireless is still my goal.

Venus OSTemperature Sensortank monitordiy
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
gerard-van-seventer avatar image
gerard-van-seventer answered ·

Did you ever found a solution for this? I'm also interested in displaying temperature data. Maybe a little mqtt to dbus interface could do the trick but I'm not sure if those dbus temperature registers are writable.

--Gerard

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mfoo avatar image
mfoo answered ·

I've used dbus-mqtt-devices to integrate various DIY devices into dbus via MQTT. A fine, flexible design by gone-sailing.

2 comments
2 |3000

gerard-van-seventer avatar image gerard-van-seventer commented ·

Do you have an example of a mqtt message (w/12345/??) which adds/updates a custom temperature sensor?

0 Likes 0 ·
coreyzev avatar image coreyzev commented ·

@Gerard van Seventer asked a question, but it wasnt a comment. so you prob wont see it.

EDIT: i converted it to one.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

GX Tank 140 product page

Connecting tank monitoring to Cerbo GX

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic