question

ghostrider avatar image
ghostrider asked

Venus OS - Mopeka BLE tank sensors

Looked a bit and don't see anything...Has anyone tried or thought about using the Rasbperry Pi running Venus to connect to a BLE sensor for monitoring tank levels?

This is the LPG sensor I would love to be able to read through VRM http://mopeka.com/products/

(I'm a developer - just not too familiar with BLE)

Venus OSRaspberry PiBluetooth
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chris-hartmann avatar image chris-hartmann commented ·

In addition to the LPG sensors, Mopeka has just come out with sensors intended for use with potable and grey tanks. https://mopeka.com/product/mopeka-water-sensor-bottom-mount/

RV project is doing tests with using one on the black tank as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ chris-hartmann commented ·
Hi @Chris Hartmann

Is anyone here in touch with Mopeka? Perhaps they can assess the link I posted earlier (below) and let us know if this would be a lot of work for us or not. For example, if they’re sensors also transmit the data as advertisements, like the Ruuvi’s, then it will be only a very small amount of work most likely.

but if it requires our GX to connect over BLE, then its a different story. They’re also welcome to contact me personally ofcourse

0 Likes 0 ·
mb1983k avatar image mb1983k chris-hartmann commented ·
Does anyone know when the first test version will be available?
0 Likes 0 ·
26 Answers
ghostrider avatar image
ghostrider answered ·

This is now available > v2.90!

Thanks community for making this happen!!

(I can't mark my own answer as the solution..if someone else wants to say this, we can pin it as answered!)

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mbmike29 avatar image mbmike29 commented ·
Is there a link to a how-to anywhere?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mbmike29 commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Nice! Please keep me posted of progress.

thank you

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps I amended your title a bit, to not confuse this with reading data of Victron devices over BLE. Hope thats ok.

0 Likes 0 ·
ghostrider avatar image
ghostrider answered ·

Took forever, but finally getting back to this... I've found out how to get a raspberry pi to read the BLE sensors, but am stuck on 2 problems.

1) (major) The Venus image seems to have a hard block on the onboard Bluetooth chip. The Pi is capable of reading the BLE, but I can't get it to show up using hciconfig... any posts about activating the Bluetooth chip while running Venus?

2) Once I can read it using Venus...how could I put the data somewhere for Venus/VRM to read???

3 comments
2 |3000

p-rhodan avatar image p-rhodan commented ·
I‘m interested, too.

Would it be possible with Venus OS 2.8x since there is Bluetooth support for sensors integrated?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ p-rhodan commented ·
Hi @Ghostrider , best would be to integrate this into our ble-sensors module. See below for the repo.

did you solve the raspi/ble issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
ghostrider avatar image ghostrider mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
I just discovered all of the BLE advancements! Great, great work! I'm going to be diving into the code soon.
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Putting the tank data into venus would be done with a Dbus service message - have a look for reference material for Dbus tank services. I found the page for Battery Dbus service, so there should be one for Tank data.

Well done, Cute sensor. Try with the latest version of Venus (2.8~24 - as there have been additions that allow for BLE (at least to certain Victron product (I've not been following this too closely due to work issues).

How do you handle the sensor protocol?

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Since just now we support BLE temp sensors from Ruuvi. Code is here https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-ble-sensors

4 comments
2 |3000

lennycb avatar image lennycb commented ·

who is responsible for this "module" when an issue has been created?

0 Likes 0 ·
lennycb avatar image lennycb commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) can you please answer my request? Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
lennycb avatar image lennycb lennycb commented ·
@mvader (Victron Energy) ??????????????????
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ lennycb commented ·
Hi Lenny, I’ll check - thanks.

I have an issue with the community mail notifications. Nice and quiet to be honest, but hence I didnt see your messages. Sorry!

0 Likes 0 ·
evohl avatar image
evohl answered ·

Hi, i´m not an expert in BLE but it seems that you can not connect these kind of sensors. What I do (using ESP32 board) is scan for advertising devices, filter them for the MAC of the sensor (Gas Level Sensor) and read the payload out of the advertisement. Seems the payload contains all information I need. And here comes the problem on my project so far. How to understand which values in the payload stand for what?

This is my Palload and some values i am more or less sure what they are:unbenannt.png26 255 13 0 0 2 176 103 234 44 224 129 4 23 28 32 129 4 31 68 112 193 3 96 213 151 248 3 2 160 173

s = static values

MF = manufacturer?

BT? = Battery level?

RT = rate how often the sensor does a messurement /10 in sec means 10.3 sec

Q? = might be the quality of the messurement

MAC = the last three octets of the MAC

these values I think might be correct so far. MAC and RT I am pretty sure about. But the most important info I don´t get until now, the gas level itself. So if anyone knows someting plz let me know.

unbenannt.png (3.0 KiB)
2 |3000

aph avatar image
aph answered ·

I do own a Mopeka GasTank sensor and wonder which Bluetooth dongle I potentialy would need to get this to work on a RasPi 2?

2 |3000

haitonno avatar image
haitonno answered ·

I'm working on the same Project (Problem). I took BLE Analyzer on ESP32 and got this

paketsniff2.jpg

There is another Project in Github for Mopeka Pro Check, which is different to Standard Sensor.

spbrogan/mopeka_pro_check: Python code to read the Mopeka Pro Check Tank Sensor (github.com)

I used the code from advertisement.py and tried out in C+, but no real success.

code.jpg

Any ideas?

paketsniff2.jpg (36.5 KiB)
code.jpg (118.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

seanbrogan avatar image seanbrogan commented ·

Just FYI I did another port of this code to esphome. It hasn't yet been merged into their dev branch but you can see it in my branch here.

spbrogan/esphome at mopeka_dev (github.com)

component mopeka_ble and mopeka_pro_check. This code is C++.

It still doesn't support their original sensors and I wasn't willing to look at the code dump from the random github contributor AlbertWorker1004 given it had no license information.

0 Likes 0 ·
haitonno avatar image
haitonno answered ·

edit: the first 3 Lines of Advertisement in paketsniff2.jpg show the Sensor on Tank with 69% full, 3 Stars Quality and full Battery (all from Mopeka APP).

The 4. Line is with Sensor off Tank and Connect-Button pressed.

3 comments
2 |3000

aph avatar image aph commented ·
Hello haitonno, do you use the raspi onboard bluetooth sensor or some external bluetooth one for connecting to the Mopeka?
0 Likes 0 ·
haitonno avatar image haitonno aph commented ·
Hi,

I was using the onboard BT Adapter of Raspi Zero.

But I still gave up. Bought a Pro Check which works directly.

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
viccy01 avatar image viccy01 commented ·

The code for the Mopeka app has somehow wound up on github here - https://github.com/Albertworker1004/Mopeka_React-Native. Shouldn't be too difficult a prospect to find the bit of code there that reads the BLE manufacturor data and converts it to the app values.

0 Likes 0 ·
bitcrusher avatar image
bitcrusher answered ·

YEs! Please work on the integration for cerbo for Mopeka sensors! That would be so great!

2 |3000

imagnone avatar image
imagnone answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) I contacted the makers of the Mopeka sensors and they are open to working with Victron to have these be supported in the Victron Cerbo GX. I've been talking to Reese Moore but if you could contact them at support@mopeka.com they will get you to the right person. It would be great to have their sensors supported!

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @imagnone , thats nice; thank you. Right now we don't have any time to work on this ourselves.

I might will, probably will, revisit it in the future.

All the best, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
ghostrider avatar image
ghostrider answered ·

Great work done by all so far...after looking through some of the samples & previous projects - this could take a while. Seems they do a lot of bit operations of the values before putting it on the screen. And those are dependent on the HW version.

Going to take a lot of trial/error to hunt down a usable value from that payload, but its in there somewhere.

I mean.. yeah the answer is in the GitHub dump of the source code ...but... seems a little shady....

Then there is the question of writing it to the DBus so it shows up as a tank sensor (I think)

Will keep trying...

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Ghostrider , with regards to the putting it on D-Bus, yes thats what needs doing. What I recommend is to add the code to the existing one for the Ruuvi sensors. Its a project in C:

https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-ble-sensors

You then might need access to one our libraries; needed to build the project and not available publicly, which can be arranged.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Also, you could just email Mopeka for the documentation; or I could do that. The one thing we can't do at the moment is allocate developer resources for this.
0 Likes 0 ·
ghostrider avatar image ghostrider mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
I sent them a message a while back (just before they were about to release the pro versions) and they said they don't provide any type of code or sdk. But that might've been just the customer service response.

Even if we could just have them give us the source code file that contains the bit shifts to values...it would be SO much easier than trying to guess & check. Dont even need their support. Will get there eventually, would just be so much easier if they could provide a hint.
0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

I just received a reply from Mopeka. They say the have reached out to Victron to see if there could be a joining of the 2 products.

Copied from email:

Thank you for the suggestion. In fact, it has been very recently requested by a few customers. So we've contacted Victron to see if they are interested in working out that integration. It is fairly simple from our side, so hopefully they will agree and we can get this done.

Thank you for your interest.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 8:53 AM
Subject: Custom Product Development
To: <rmoore@mopeka.com>

Love my victron setup. It would be the last tanks I need monitoring.

3 comments
2 |3000

ghostrider avatar image ghostrider commented ·
I also sent them a message to see if they would be willing to help by sharing the bitmapping of the BLE data! No response yet, but I don't really expect one either...
0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image cleaver ghostrider commented ·

Well I phrased it like they should try and work with Victron. Due to the amount of RV's,boats, and off grid homes that are being setup. Would be a huge european market to tap into. Here in North America we are a touch behind.

So hopefully they can make a file to install like GUI Mods, and just add a sensor. I wish I knew something about programming. But I'm more of a installer, not a programmer.

0 Likes 0 ·
ghostrider avatar image ghostrider cleaver commented ·
To my surprise, I've actually got a really good conversation going with some of the Mopeka staff, and with the promising support of Victron here - so I'm feeling pretty confident that we can get this built into an upcoming release (If I can connect all the dots as a community developer!)
0 Likes 0 ·
ghostrider avatar image
ghostrider answered ·

I also just received a reply from Mokepa and from the sounds, the gen2 sensors are not worth writing an implementation for. The Pro sensors work much better and also gen2 is slated for retirement some time this year due to inability of Mopeka to buy the chips. Plus there are so many iterations of gen2 that have introduced things like encryption that its nearly impossible to document it out, so the source code is the only thing that even comes close...but the implementations are all different.

So sounds like any integration would only support Pro sensors (which there are other projects for, so maybe will make our job easier!)

Time to order some and get to work there!

They also mentioned that they would be willing to hop on the forum to help answer questions! I'll try to get them over here, or should we start a new thread specifically on Mopeka Pro community integration?

4 comments
2 |3000

robsweet avatar image robsweet commented ·
@Ghostrider I've got a doc from Mopeka with technical details and some time to play with this but I'm more of a Python guy than C. Like to collaborate on a PR for Mopeka support in dbus-ble-sensors?

@mvader (Victron Energy) What's the best way to chat about getting library access and how some of the other libs work (things like the arguments for reg_info)?

0 Likes 0 ·
ghostrider avatar image ghostrider robsweet commented ·
I got my Pro sensors & I just got the doc today from them! I was about halfway through reverse engineering my own version when that showed up...it will be a HUGE help. I think there is just some work that needs to be done to adapt the bit reading engine thats in the Ruuvi code to work for the Mopeka one.

Would love to collab because I'm actually a bit confused on how I go from writing code to testing on the Pi.

@mvader (Victron Energy) - Is there a Discord chat or anything like that for Venus community development?

0 Likes 0 ·
robsweet avatar image robsweet ghostrider commented ·
I've got a bunch of this already hacked together based on the Ruuvi code. I think the biggest stumbling block is understanding how to use all the settings that get passed in the reg_info struct when does all the parsing. Feel free to email me directly at rob_at_LDG_dot_net.
0 Likes 0 ·
sfidler avatar image sfidler ghostrider commented ·

@Ghostrider @mvader (Victron Energy), want a community Discord? OK, I'll make one: https://discord.gg/APgZVbkBJ8

Anything else I can do to help expedite this?

0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

I ordered the pro sensors. Hopefully we can get these implemented in the near future.

2 |3000

robsweet avatar image
robsweet answered ·

I think Mopeka support is mostly done. Here are some screenshots. Mopeka and Victron have both been very helpful in getting this development done, which was awesome. I should be submitting back to Victron early next week. From there it goes through their beta process but I don't know how long that takes.

screen-shot-2022-03-19-at-91942-am.pngscreen-shot-2022-03-19-at-92007-am.png

screen-shot-2022-03-19-at-92026-am.png

screen-shot-2022-03-19-at-92048-am.png

screen-shot-2022-03-19-at-92143-am.png

20 comments
2 |3000

cleaver avatar image cleaver commented ·

That is very nicely done. Hopefully they can put it in a beta release soon.

Thank you for the work you have done on this.

I just thought of something while installing my tank sensors. Will this support 2 tanks at the same time?

0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image cleaver cleaver commented ·

I really hate to be asking this in the Mod Space. But I would really like to install this in my cerbo.

So here it goes:

1. Is there a walk through to access the files and folders of the cerbo? Gain root access?

2. And basically the same question for pulling from github.

I have never done any of the accessing or writing to new folders in the cerbo. Basically just installing the beta tests and reporting if needed. So this will be a steep learning curve.

I'm very willing to learn, but dang I'm getting old to do this....

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image harold commented ·
Looking great already, but will programming a shape of the tanks be a possibility?

I think it's in the current tank module of the OS!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ harold commented ·

Hi, just my two cents regarding programming a shape of a tank: adding a configurable tank shape means (far) more work for @robsweet & co. The code for that as is now, and everything related to it, is in this repo: https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-adc..

The code now written for the Mopeka is in another module, one for reading out BLE sensor data. And yes one could restructure it all, but that will be even more work :).

Propane tanks always have a simple rectangular (or round :) ) shape, right? So I assume that request is for other tank types, such as water. Is there a good reason for not instead using a sender (not Mopeka) that we already support including configurable tank shape?

0 Likes 0 ·
robsweet avatar image robsweet mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
I think the main argument would be that Mopeka water sensors are far cheaper than other sensors. To use the SeeLevel sensors, for example, you'd need to buy the NMEA2000-compatible version of the SeeLevel controller (~$325, I think) and then the actual sensor for each tank (~$60 each) so for 3 tanks, With Mopeka, you just need the sensors. Also, the Mopekas don't need any wiring.

On the tank shape thing, I agree that weirdly-shaped tanks are a whole lot of trouble that I don't want to deal with unless there was significant call from the community for supporting that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem robsweet commented ·

Mopeka vs SeeLevel:

I purchased a SeeLevel N2K system for about $400 including the sensors $135 (not $325) for the N2K, about $60 each for 3 sensors. Mopeka is less expensive at about $210 for 3 tanks.

SeeLevel N2K is limited to 3 tanks. No limit for Mopeka sensors.

No LPG on SeeLevel N2K so another advantage for Mopeka.

Mopeka also has a phone/tablet app which would be useful when emptying/filling while outside the RV.

Mokeka water sensors aren't usable on a black tank. I believe the problem is the Mopeka sensors attach to the bottom of the tank so if solids settle on top of the sensor, you'd get an incorrect reading.

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image harold robsweet commented ·
Thanks @robsweet and @mvader (Victron Energy) ,

Clear points!
Most tanks can easily be handled by level / hight as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
itsme avatar image itsme harold commented ·
why don't you put it into the tank overview? Or do I missunderstand something wrong?
0 Likes 0 ·
itsme avatar image itsme commented ·
great work! Will be a usefull addition for many users...
0 Likes 0 ·
Eric M. avatar image Eric M. commented ·
Really appreciate all of your work on this! I've been holding off purchasing the Mopeka sensors until I hear how this beta process goes. Has there been any progress in the past couple weeks on this?
0 Likes 0 ·
2fast4u avatar image 2fast4u Eric M. commented ·
I´m also curious about any progress.

my LPG sensors from amazon should arrive next week.

I also wanted to order a Mopeka pro water sensor but can´t find a source for them in Europe. Mopeka would send one out from the states but shipping to Germany is ~120$ + the sensor itself + import tax = over 200$ for just one sensor.

0 Likes 0 ·
robsweet avatar image robsweet Eric M. commented ·
Last I heard, Victron were ordering some Mopeka sensors to test my code with.
0 Likes 0 ·
Josh P avatar image Josh P commented ·
Is this going to be released on GitHub anytime soon? Would love to test this out.

Appreciate all the work put into this!

0 Likes 0 ·
bohne avatar image bohne commented ·

Hallo

gibt es schon mehr Infos wie ich die Normalen ( nicht Pro ) Gas sensoren einbinden kann ? Gibt es da vieleicht eine Beta version ?? Gituhub habe ich schon auf meiner Cerbo GX.

MFG

0 Likes 0 ·
dereppsteiner avatar image dereppsteiner bohne commented ·
diese Frage wurde mir von Mopeka beantwortet. Die Einbindung wird nur mit Pro und Pro Plus möglich sein.
0 Likes 0 ·
dereppsteiner avatar image dereppsteiner commented ·

Hello @robsweet ,

is already known when the official firmware update for the victron cerbo gx will come?

0 Likes 0 ·
robsweet avatar image robsweet dereppsteiner commented ·
No, I don’t have a date but I’m told it’s being actively worked on.
0 Likes 0 ·
dereppsteiner avatar image dereppsteiner robsweet commented ·

Thanks @robsweet . I also have the statement from Reese More from Mopeka that it is now in the hands of Victron

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell dereppsteiner commented ·

The status on github from 4 days ago is

"Work mostly done; needs testing and inclusion. Currently awaits Mopeka devices to test with. "

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/946

0 Likes 0 ·
dereppsteiner avatar image dereppsteiner pwfarnell commented ·
It's a pity that no Bluetooth sensors are supported on release v2.90
0 Likes 0 ·
jamesmcclatchey avatar image
jamesmcclatchey answered ·

I bought two of the Safiery Ultrasonic LPG liquid level detectors that connect to the Victron Tank 140. I was unable to get them to work on two 30 lb US DOT certified LPG tanks. I am in the US. I had two standard Mopeka sensors which worked fine, but wanted something to connect to the Victron Cerbo GX. I cannot be sure of the problem (which I spent several hours on several days trying to solve), but suspect that it has to do with the rounded nature of the bottom of the tank. The sensor on the Safiery product is much larger than the sensor on the Mopeka. When I put the Safiery sensor on the center of the tank, I could not get the blue light to begin blinking which is the sign that the sensor is detecting liquid. I think the slightly rounded bottom of the LPG tank prevented a reading from the large flat sensor.

The only time I got the Safiery sensor to blink was to lay the tank on its side and affix the sensor off-center near the edge of the bottom rim of the tank which is a flatter area. When I turned the tank upright, the sensor stopped blinking.

Probably the Safiery sensors would work on a larger tank that had a flatter bottom. I cannot be sure, but it would make sense based on my experience.

I hope that the collaboration between Mopeka and Victron will bear fruit.

2 comments
2 |3000

Roger Parker avatar image Roger Parker commented ·
I bought three of the Safiery ultarsonic tank level sensors after reading about them on here and am sorely disappointed in them. I put them on my three tanks in my 5th wheel trailer and can only get them to work for about a day. I suspect when the gel dries up the sensors stop because I took one back off and re-installed it and it worked for a couple of days. I sent a request to Safiery support and didn't get a response. I would really like to see a product that works with our Victron equipment. Does any one have a simple sure fire solution that works and is simple?
0 Likes 0 ·
wolfbarnsolar avatar image wolfbarnsolar Roger Parker commented ·

Re I sent a request to Safiery support and didn't get a response

They Dont respond unless you are about to spend Up

NO Support Hard to deal with Lack of Care No response in 8 emails

Dont go there

0 Likes 0 ·
riprock99 avatar image
riprock99 answered ·

I am pretty excited about this. Does anyone know the status? Github hasn't changed in a while. Thanks in advance for the hard work! <edit: changed typo at the end of the last sentence from question mark to exclamation point>

1 comment
2 |3000

freher avatar image freher commented ·
Same here, I do have a Mopeka pro and would love to integrate it into my setup. Is there a roadmap or do exist any news on this topic?
0 Likes 0 ·
random-acts-of-frank avatar image
random-acts-of-frank answered ·

Very much looking forward to this - this is huge, and is perfect for me (and probably many others!!!) who need a basic monitoring of water tanks and propane tanks.

2 |3000

riprock99 avatar image
riprock99 answered ·

Apparently the work on GitHub to implement the Mopeka sensors is complete, and will be incorporated in the next beta release. Thanks to everyone who put hard work into it!

6 comments
2 |3000

shawn-willden avatar image shawn-willden commented ·

Do you have a link to the Github project?

0 Likes 0 ·
shawn-willden avatar image shawn-willden netweb commented ·
Thanks. I may have to go figure out how to build from source now...
0 Likes 0 ·
sfidler avatar image sfidler shawn-willden commented ·

You shouldn't need to compile your own. You can download the builds here: http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/

They still have the RC as ~14 which does not have Mopeka support but I suspect that the testing build ~18 will have it. I haven't had the chance to check it myself yet.

0 Likes 0 ·
mb1983k avatar image mb1983k sfidler commented ·
Just tried the build ~18, but I am not able to find the Mopeka LPG Sensor… so either it is not included or I do something wrong (or I need a bluetooth dongle)…
0 Likes 0 ·
2fast4u avatar image
2fast4u answered ·

If anyone in Europe is also looking for the Mopeka Pro water sensors, contact Airmech in Poland. I was able to order the gas sensors on Amazon but for some reason it was impossible for any seller to ship a water sensor to Germany.

Mopeka themselves would've sent me one but it would've cost me a little over 200€. Now I've got one for under 100€ delivered.

2 |3000

bohne avatar image
bohne answered ·

Hallo seid dem UPDATE V 2.90-26 laufen die sensoren nicht mehr. Das Bleuthoos schaltet auch ab da es ständig neu Startet. Gibt es da für eine Lösung ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Ulrich avatar image Ulrich commented ·

Ich hatte das Problem, dass der interne BT Adapter manchmal nicht angezeigt wurde. Durch hinzufügen eines USB-BT-Adapters klappt konnte ich das Problem lösen. Ich verwende einen BT-Mini-Adapter, der eigentlich für BT-Kopfhörer und Telefone gedacht ist. ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Ivar Wagle avatar image
Ivar Wagle answered ·

I am looking to install 3 tank sensors in an off-grid cabin, 2 for fresh water, one for a plastic 170 L dieseltank (for heating).

It is of significanse that whey are able to transmit data to Cerbo wirelessly, bluetooth/ble/wifi.

Does both the Mopeka Pro Water Sensor and the Garnet SeeLevel II Tank Monitor support wireless data communication with Venus / Cerbo?

I see that the Mopeka Water sensor is to be installed under the tank. My watertanks are standing on the floor. Will there be room for the sensor underneath?

The Garnet models looks attractive, as they can be cut to desired lenght. Do I need the Garnet 709-BTP3 SeeLevel II Tank Monitor with Bluetooth ti\o have the strips communicte with theCerbo, or do they have pre installed ble transrecievers?

Finally, am i correct to assume that it would in any case involve a Bluetootht usb-stic in the Cerbo?

1 comment
2 |3000

Garnet is wired; either using N2K protocol or RV-C protocol.

Mopeka is bluetooth.

With the rest of the questions I can't help you I'm afraid. Perhaps someone from the Community can, and otherwise I recommend to go to either Mopeka or Garnet.

Wrt Garnet, this post and answers might help you: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/157602/seelevel-tank-monitoring-with-venus-os-29.html

1 Like 1 ·
Drew Strobel avatar image
Drew Strobel answered ·

What settings do you put in the setup menu for a standard 30lb propane tank?

1 comment
2 |3000

Neil Swinton avatar image Neil Swinton commented ·

Take a look at this thread: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/157559/mopeka-lp-tank-sensor-common-settings.html. I'm using 38cm for full and 2cm for empty. If your tank has more than 38cm in it, then go bigger to get through the setup. (I haven't seen a value over 42, so you can fall back to that.)

0 Likes 0 ·
steven-mc57 avatar image
steven-mc57 answered ·

Hello, I would like to read the values of a Mopeka sensor with my esp32.

Where can I find documentation to obtain the level in cm by extracting the data sent by BLE, please.

2 |3000

Ulrich avatar image
Ulrich answered ·
2 |3000