question

jorisvn avatar image
jorisvn asked

Getting error: "You can upload only a single .rvsc or .rvms file"

Dear Victron community,

Since this week I get an error when trying to upload a file via the VRM environment. I have done this many times before and did not get this error.

I have read this posting with the same error, but I always already downloaded the files from the VRM to my computer first. (and yes, watched the video) Then I adjust the rvms file via the VE Bus configurator in the VE Configure 3 for each of the 3 phases. Close the program/save the changes. And then use that RVMS file for upload again. However I now get this error a couple of times:

can-only-upload-single-file.jpg

What can I do to solve this as it worked before?

Side notes: both the VE bus config and config 3 are up to date.

In VE config 3 there were updates for the ESS assistant. I have tried to upload the file with and without that ESS updates. (for all three phases)

Thank you for your help.

VEConfigure 3VE.Busremote consoleAssistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
jorisvn avatar image
jorisvn answered ·

Today I found a solution for the "You can upload only a single .rvsc or .rvms file" error message.

This time I had given the updated .rvms file a different name from the version that is in the system. I was able to upload the file correctly. Afterwards I checked with downloading the new file from the system and all the updated settings were ther.

So despite reading and following all the steps in the https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure#step_by_step_procedure from @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) it did not explicitly say that the name of the file to be uploaded needs to be different from the existing file in the system. May be this could be updated in the manual so others won't get the same error message.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @jorisvn,

Thanks for reporting back with the work around - I've passed it on to see if I can't find out more info, and either fix it directly, or otherwise I'll update that documentation as you suggest.

0 Likes 0 ·
brucesterj avatar image
brucesterj answered ·

I was having this issue today.. but I was able to figure out part of it. I downloaded the config file, modified it and then attempted to upload it... and got this, then realized this wasn't the modified file:

Screenshot 2024-02-21 191642.jpg

Then selected the correct file then got this error:

Screenshot 2024-02-21 193714.jpg

Help please..!

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Brucesterj

After modifying the file you must save it to hard drive. Windows will add a suffix like '(1)' to the file name to indicate another generation. When you upload it make sure it's the latest. That one will have the highest suffix and the date/time when it was saved.

I note from a post you deleted a reference to a .vsc file. It should be .rvsc. I haven't seen .vsc for years, and if you really have that it may be related to old firmware or VEConfigure version.

1 Like 1 ·
brucesterj avatar image brucesterj JohnC ♦ commented ·
I did save it to this HD. I did see a (1) at the end meaning it's a duplicate file name in the same directory. So I should have uploaded the (1).. If that happens again.. lol.. I'll check the properties on each one for time stamp.

Yes.. when I first made changes to it in the VE config program.. when I named it.. primary there was a .vsc extension it would be saved as. MY mistake for not saving it as the one the VRM downloaded (.rvsc) I'll try it again and report back.

Thanx for the reply..

0 Likes 0 ·
brucesterj avatar image
brucesterj answered ·

It did it again. So in screenshot one I just finished configuring the 3 assistants and clicked SAVE.. screenshot-2024-02-21-224048.jpg it wants to be saved as a .vsc file which is wrong.

In screenshot #2 So I clicked on the pull down window and now I see the config file that was downloaded from the VRM.. double clicked it.. said yes to overwrite it.. and then tried to upload it.. and got the error message.

screenshot-2024-02-21-224139.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Brucesterj

Err, no. Just finish writing your Assistants and don't save them. They won't be lost. Go back to the General screen > File > Save Settings. You'll get this..

1708596894196.png

I usually save them this way, just in case. But they should save anyway, as explained. Close VEConfig. Then go to the VRM remote update and proceed.

A tidy person might search Windows for all the .rvsc files on the hd and delete the unwanted ones. The remote update will offer up a window with the latest, so check that for time stamp and click.

1 Like 1 ·
1708596894196.png (112.1 KiB)
brucesterj avatar image
brucesterj answered ·

Well hmmm.. I got home today.. and started checking this and that.. my assistants were loaded but nothing had changed. So I called CC (current connected) and left a message.. then waited a while and they called me back. We were on the phone for over an hour. At one point the multiplus began letting the solar work. It got up to 310w for a few minutes and just when I thought things were changing.. the MP took over again. Then I got their email address and added them as a full control user.. but then.. when they were able to login.. starlink decided to go on break again.. several times.. and I'm sure it was just as frustrated as I was. So.. I stopped at BestBuy in town and bought a 20' ethernet cable.. was hoping to go direct and bypass the wifi to stop the "Communication errors" my vrm deals with. Well.. it worked for a bit, but with this crappy starlink dropping out for moments at random.. We couldn't get much done. as of now.. the MP is on.. well the CERBO says it is.. but the VRM says no way. So.. it was about 4:30 and it was their quitting time.. so he said he'll call again in the morning and try and solve this.

We believe the electrician connected it right.. but something isn't just right. It shows the AC and DC.. but it's using too much AC and haven't found the right setup for it to work like it's supposed to.

2 |3000

brucesterj avatar image
brucesterj answered ·

Well.. I just followed the Victron "virtual-switch-ignore-ac-lesson" and it showed in the VE config app.. that "L1 was out of phase". It tried to restart one time and then gave up.. The re-added the assistants without saving.. I sent them.. and it magically restarted. but the MP is still OFF and doesn't show the AC or shore on the VRM, but does on the cerbo. guess I'm NOT getting it.

2 |3000

Related Resources