question

asbjoern85 avatar image
asbjoern85 asked

VE.Bus on old Phoenix Multiplus family group 18, possible?

Hi,

I have an old Phoenix Multiplus 24/3000/70 with family group 18 according to the documentation. Microcontroller sticker says "1812144.HEX". Is there a way to upgrade the firmware to a newer version that supports VE.Bus? I know the microcontroller is not compatible with firmware version 4xxx and newer.

I have a MK3-USB.

VEConfigure 3VE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

No, there is no way to upgrade the family group number, this is limited by the hardware.

MK3-USB will only communicate with VE.Bus products (19,20 or 26,27). It will not work on VE.9bit products (18).
You'll need a MK2-USB to communicate with VE.9bit products.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

asbjoern85 avatar image asbjoern85 commented ·

Thanks for answering.

Do you know if the microcontroller is the limitation? In that case swapping it for a family group 19 microcontroller could do the trick if the rest of the hardware is identical.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ asbjoern85 commented ·

The microcontrollers are different families. The 18 is a 40 pin PIC.

Then 19,20 use a 28 pin PIC (aka small PIC), then the 26,27 is another 40 pin PIC (aka big PIC). No way to simply plug different PIC's. Also no way to get hold of the bootloader to put on a blank PIC from the shops.
The hardware is different too. Just visually, you can see the PCB is different and the power packs are different.

0 Likes 0 ·
asbjoern85 avatar image asbjoern85 wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for detailed answer. I haven't seen the family 19 board, I was hoping it would be the same. I'll explore the possibilities of the VE.9bit instead :)

0 Likes 0 ·