question

Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image
Nazareth Kevorkian asked

Remote VEConfigure Upload - Quattro #6 DDC Program Error

I have a system of 3 Quattro 15k configured in 3Phase, a CCGX, BMV-700 and AC-out coupled PV on-grid inverters.

Yesterday I wanted to change charger settings in VEConfig of each Quattro so I downloaded the VE.Bus using Remote VEConfigure and changed the settings on each of the Quattros within the VE.Bus remote file. Of course it required a VESoftware tools update and within the VEConfigure, ESS assistant update. I updated successfully.

Interestingly, after the update, ESS assistant settings were not the same in each of the Quattros; the Master had all the settings, but the Slaves had fewer setting pages. (Anyone knows if normal? why?)

After setting changes, I closed+saved the VEconfigure and VEBus tools, and went on to upload the updated file via Remote VEConfigure. First trial returned an error, second as well, and the third trial just crashed and froze on one stage of the upload. After a checkup on site, the system was shut down, with a beeping sound, flashing LEDs and Quattro #6 DDC Program Error alarm on CCGX (attached photos).

My problems:

1. I checked on site CCGX and VRM portal, the connection seems up and running online, however I cannot connect to the CCGX nor the device Remote VEConfigure, and Victron Connect app, it shows the system "offline".
  2. I have to solve this solely remotely, online, since I don't have specialized personnel on site with the necessary tools
  3. Error 6 DDC seems a problem in the assistant and needs a VE.Bus firmware update. How can I do this remotely online when my connection seems to have a problem?

Urgent support is needed with thanks.

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) can you please jump in for suggestions

Thanks

VEConfigure 3VE.Busremote consoleAssistants
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

This maybe helpfull and I may not,

get them to turn everything off then back on and hopefully the internet is not a AC power supply. but you will need to get the internet back online somehow

I have the same site setup with the same 3 phase and 3 x 15000/48 units with PV on AC 1 out being 40Kw on 2 x 20Kw Ac coupled units controlled by frequency shift

I had this/similar issue at one point about 7 mths ago where L1 updated but the others had different settings. however it did still work ok.

try going back to the original setup that worked

then do slave 3 ONLY adjustments and up load then add slave 2 adjustment then upload then add L1 and upload, I cant remember for sure what the exact sequence was but this got my site working.

Then on the next Visit to site, I had to upgrade the firmware and as you know that HAS to be done on site ONLY and then everything has to be resetup anyway. and you have to resetup the 3 phase system as well.

well thats my comments dont know if it will help

0 Likes 0 ·
Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian Paul B commented ·

Paul, thanks a lot for your quick reply

Actually, my site went back online, don't know how just by itself, about 2hrs ago today. Probably we went through a blackout and until the backup generator heats up to kick in, the network devices reset themselves to power back on.

Anyway, I just retried to upload my new VE.Bus settings, all with 3-phase configuration and together with all 3 VEConfigure, and it all worked from first try. Tomorrow I have to switch from bypass back to Victron system.

I'll update you guys if I happen to find out the reason for all this.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, first of all, When having not much experience, I would strongly advise not to start updating/changing settings. specially not on a weekend!

Programming three phase systems is done from WITHIN the Ve Bus program and NOT directly in a unit using Ve configure.

Yes, on three phase the L1 is the master of the system which mostly has extra system settings which L2 an L3 don't have.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image
Nazareth Kevorkian answered ·

Follow up notice:

Yesterday, after almost one week of normal operation, the system just showed QUattro in OFF mode. I went on viewing the ESS settings, it says "no ESS found". I tried to download and upload the same VE.Bus via Remote VEConfigure, and again error messages: "No VEbus product". Find the photos attached.

What could be the reason and how to solve it remotely?

8 comments
2 |3000

Re the first picture cannot find vebus etc this happens when the multis are restarted after a update. this is normal wait 5 min and you can reconnect. when doing changes that require a restart you are told so when in the ve config program, its in bold black at the bottom, same for no ve bus, re no ess found then the system maybe still restarting,

The venus device is still online but the inverter are off or rebooting

Again re Johannes comments be carefull doing updates it usually works well, but if a problem occurs you will need someone ON site to restart the systems. IE the system maybe under load when the restart occurs because of the update and then when it comes back online it overloads due to a motor restart or some other reason and then shuts down fully because of 3 overload retrys, this is just a example or a reason.

0 Likes 0 ·

It's not during a restart.

I know having qualified techs on site is always the best case, but hey, you know, sometimes you don't have that and swift action is required.

The overload shut down seems very plausible, because just before the load was high (not overload limit though). And the master unit had red LED "overload" ON and red LED "low battery" flashing. (the other slave units flashing the green LED "bulk"). But still no update was done during that time. And I restarted manually the Quattro units, but still after the restart same thing, no power supply, no ESS, no VEbus, but the red LEDs were off.

0 Likes 0 ·

Another thing remember that as a inverter restart has occurred then all 220v power has also gone off and this may mean that your internet router has also got to restart and come back on line.

I myself have been caught this way so now I make sure that all sites that the router and the GX devices are all battery powered or that they have a small UPS attached to them so they stay online.

0 Likes 0 ·

Does VE.Bus update by itself? I did not try to do anything, just by its own it went off but I still had online connection to GX. The site has a bypass option to run on DG when the system turns off. I had my ppl on site to check the connection and observed that the ethernet RJ45 that connects the GX to the Quattros was not flashing green and orange! So I assumed it was a comm error between the GX and Quattros. So I clicked on "redetect" in the "advanced" page of the Quattro settings on GX UX. After quite some time, the system went back on (could not prove if from redetect or by itself), worked well for exactly 3 min and went back to OFF by itself. During the time it did connect to the Quattros I saw the ESS back on on GX. Now its gone again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

No The VE bus does not update by itself, the only way that the quattros firmware can be updated is when you are onsite and using the firmware update tool.

there is NO flashing lights on the VE bus connectors.

The eithernet connection is the only one that has the green and yellow lights and this should be connected to the router ONLY

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks for the heads up, I thought VEBus flashes LED as well.

I tried to "redetect" the quattros, also "system reset". Nothing worked out. After reboot, I am seeing a battery charge power without detecting the Quattros at all (see attached).

So you think the only solution is to update the Quattro firmware on site?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Yes you can only update the firmware of the any multiplus or quattro on site using the firmware update tool

0 Likes 0 ·
jcarnouil avatar image jcarnouil Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Hi ! Did you finally solved your problem with "ESS not available" and "DDC Error" ? Because I have quite the same issue with my installation (EasySolar II GX + Pylontech batteries ). No solution since a month and I began to desperate :( .. Any help is welcome .. Thanks !

My help request :
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/138092/easysolar-ii-gx-ess-error-in-ddc-program.html

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is VE.Bus?

VEConfigure Assistants manual