article

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) posted

Deeper understanding of Victron data structures in regard to realtime monitoring

Hi,

This is a teaser of an article title that I will expand on as interest and time allows.

I have talked around this topic in this modifications space for a while, and would like to consolidate that writing into one place. Hopefully this will help with expectations, and also inspire others to push the limits and undertake new developments.

If you would like to see me update it, keep it bumped up to the top with new comments. Contributions of links, explanations and examples are also appreciated. Questions should probably be asked as new questions, and just leave this to contributions.

Matthijs is probably going to hate this as all of this is based on my observations and not a deeper understanding of how things are actually working. So if you see something that is wrong, or could be improved, I'd love to hear it (or even better, copy your precisely re-written information straight in :)

In no particular order,

# Resolution & Accuracy

Data resolution is the significant figures of whatever is being measured that can be reliably reported. For example the temperature probes on the MultiPlus will only display temperature to the whole number, i.e 20 degrees C. Increasing the resolution of this data ( i.e. 20.23 degrees C) doesn't provide any greater accuracy, because that the underlying data isn't any more precise than that.

Some values provide a higher resolution, even though the underlying reading isn't extremely precise to begin with. A good example of this is the AC input current sensor. It will provide a display of up to 100 mA (0.0A) (Edit by reader: 100mA would be 0.1A not 0.0A) however this should not be considered a 100mA accurate piece of measurement equipment. Further the accuracy of this current reading will vary across the range, being most imprecise at very low currents, and increasing in precision towards high current readings.

Resolution can also B) apply to the number of data points that are measured or displayed. In some cases data is only updated when it is changed (to reduce unnecessary information) for example the charge state (bulk, absorption) is not transmitted with every packet of data. This can make data appear to 'disappear' in a tool like Grafana if you have selected a range to display where the data has not changed, and not been updated, so there is no value for the time period selected.

Depending on your settings in Grafana the exact resolution of the data points (both in their frequency and amplitude) might be obscured from you. Typically to make it more readable, with averages drawn in-between. If you require precise data points for a particular analysis, you will need to investigate and modify the appropriate display settings in Grafana. This will not modify the underlying data in the database as it was received.

# Refresh rate

Data is entering the database from one end, and then being queried by the Grafana interface at the other end.

These timings do not always line up. A typical refresh rate of the data as it is displayed to you might be 5 seconds to 5 minutes minutes or more, even though the underlying data is coming into the database as a stream, at all sorts of intervals.

# Delay

A delay is introduced as data makes its way from the initial source of the measurement to the point where you are reading it from.

The more layers of computation that are added, the bigger the delay. In the high level

This can make supposed 'realtime' readings appear incorrect or inaccurate. Especially if you are using certain triggers to activate relays or other controls where you know that the event has occurred in the real world, but the system has not yet reacted to it in the way that it was programmed to do so.

In some cases there are also additional artificial delays imposed, to attempt to 'smooth' out spikes or other data issues that can lead to false starts.

# MQTT

MQTT (sometimes said Mosquitto) is a lightweight messaging protocol. It sits as a more accessible and inter-operative API layer between the underlying data (typically from dbus) and other services that you might like to use to access that data (such as Grafana). For most cases users will not need to know much about MQTT except that they need to turn it on for some features to be enabled. It does add a CPU load to the GX device, so should be the first thing disabled if an older GX device (CCGX) is struggling with load issues.

# Modbus TCP

Modbus TCP is another feature rich API layer between the dbus and other applications. It allows for two way modification of data on the dbus, such as changing the AC input current limit, and a lot more.

# database vs stream display

For systems that support it, the VRM dashboard displays a stream of data, the most recent datapoint from the GX device via MQTT. This stream of data is not stored in a database, and discarded as soon as the next datapoint arrives. Because it doesn't need to be written to a databased, just read from the broker direct, it can have less delay than other methods. Though will still be constrained by the round trips required back and forth to internet web servers.

This is distinct from the VRM database, which is set up by default to 15 minute intervals, and can be reduced to as low as 1 minute intervals in the VRM menu. The VRM database data is what is stored and generates the graphs that you can see in the Advanced menu of the VRM, or export as a CSV or excel file.

At some point in the indefinite future, I will cover the topics of:

# dbus

# push vs pull vs query

# 'Realtime'

# Grafana

# VRM dashboard

# HTML5 app

Just a teaser for now, but to get things started - here is a short video displaying 5 different perspectives of the source data point of PV power from the new MPPT RS:

VRMVictronConnectremote consoleMQTTgrafana
9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

It would be interesting to know the path data is taking from Victron unit to the Grafana display.

Knowing this path would help to identify the bottlenecks causing the delays and data loss.

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Byrne avatar image Steve Byrne commented ·

So my experience of running Grafana on a Pi, with a CCGX is that there are significant delays and gaps in the data, though it is functional, but really at a resolution of updating every 2-4 minutes rather than second by second. It'd be interesting to see what setup that 2 second update was obtained on.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Steve Byrne commented ·

@Lackan Cottage Farm, That data was collected with a Cerbo GX, and the Venus-docker-Grafana docker container running on my MacBook Pro.

It is possible there is some delays and issues running this on a CCGX, it has a slower CPU than the Cerbo. But a 2-4 minutes resolution sounds like something else.

A quick check you can do to see if your CCGX is CPU constrained is to check the values for rtt (577) - D-Bus Round-trip time which are located at https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/xxxxx/diagnostics

where the xxxxx is your VRM site, so replace that with the 5 digit number.

That number should only be a 1-10 ms - more than that, and there is CPU constraint.

Do you see a realtime data feed when you normally visit the VRM dashboard, with the PV data updating in realtime?

cleanshot-2021-02-15-at-163423.jpg

Do you have a refresh rate set here in Grafana?

cleanshot-2021-02-15-at-170055.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Byrne avatar image Steve Byrne Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Had a look and my roundtrip time is 113635 ms, so I think I have my answer. I do tend to get the 'installation busy, realtime data link suspended' message - even before this. Looks like the CCGX is just working too hard - its got 3x ve.direct smartsolar's on it, a bmv/shunt, a smartshunt, 2xparallel multis, a pv inverter on ACout, and a wind turbine mppt.

I see 'Boot type watchdog-EMAXLOAD (load average too high)' so I guess that is the issue.

I've noticed that overnight it has run more smoothly - I have the intervals set at 4m in my queries right now, and of course then none of the Solarchargers or the PV inverter are active. I have my refresh on Grafana set to 30s. 10s and it starts to lag.

Sometimes the measurement rate is just sitting at zero, then maybe 2/sec but certainly not very active. Presumably because the DBus is simply unable to respond.

cheersscreenshot-71.png

Steve

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-71.png (226.8 KiB)
Steve Byrne avatar image Steve Byrne Steve Byrne commented ·

screenshot-74.pngOnce the system begins to 'wake up' in the morning, this is what I start to see. It may catch up later but its not very happy...

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-74.png (246.7 KiB)
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Steve Byrne commented ·

Time you get a cerbo :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Byrne avatar image Steve Byrne Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, am going to borrow one this morning and see how it does. Will come back with some performance figures.

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Byrne avatar image Steve Byrne Steve Byrne commented ·

Ok so I set up Venus Large on a Raspberry Pi4, and added my compiled gui code with the wind service on it, and sure enough, Grafana is updating second by second with no issues at all.
So the issue is purely down to processing power. Will try a Cerbo next. Am also pleased that Venus is running well on the Pi4 - I will have to experiment with Node Red next.
screenshot-75.png

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-75.png (145.6 KiB)

So I swapped the system onto a Cerbo, and sure enough the dbus roundtrip time is down to 5ms, and everything works perfectly. I found that it required the docker services to be restarted to refresh the new ID for the GX/VRM. Its worth noting that even with only a couple of devices on the CCGX, it wasn't anywhere near as capable as the Cerbo GX when using Grafana. The VRM / diagnostics link is also very useful and I wasn't previously aware of its existence.screenshot-77.png

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-77.png (274.0 KiB)

Article

Contributors

usernamepasswordbs contributed to this article Guy contributed to this article