question

bobamike avatar image
bobamike asked

Charging lithium battery with an IP65 from vehicle DC and inverter.

I have a 100ah lithium battery and a IP65 15A charger. I also have a Dakota Lithium 300W inverter. I was wondering if I could charge my battery with the IP65 charger running off of the inverter while I am driving in my vehicle. I have a 4Runner with a 400W DC output in the rear of the vehicle that the inverter would be plugged into. Would the 300W inverter be able to run the charger or does the charger draw too much power? Or is this even safe for any of the items.

Thanks!

battery chargingLithium BatteryPhoenix Inverterip65
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michael-vicars avatar image michael-vicars commented ·

I'm curious if this would work as well. I know the stock inverter in the 5th gen will put out 120v with max draw of 3.3 amps (400w) when in park or neutral. The inverter only puts out max of 100w when in gear. So I'm not sure if this will work or not for your desired charging.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Theoretically the power input to the charger (assuming 13.8V output) would be about 230W, given say a 90% efficiency. (spec is 95%). So a 300W inverter should cope with this, so should the 400W dc output (fused at 30A?).

@michael-vicars Not sure about your 'stock' inverter as to why the output should be limited when in gear?

You would need to check your engine alternator can cope with the additional load - most modern alternators should.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources