question

poncho67 avatar image
poncho67 asked

BlueSmart 12/15 Charger won’t charge at constant voltage

I’m trying to charge each of my SOK 12v 206 Ah LiFePO batteries for the first time. The problem is that my new Victron BlueSmart Charger appears to only charge using NON LifePo charge parameters Regardless of how it is set In the VictronConnect app.
Even though the Victron Connect app is set to SOK‘s recommended constant voltage of 14.6v, the app will only start charging at 13.5v and shows a planned charge curve with the charger in 13.5v Bulk mode ramping up to plateau as if it were set to charge a NON-LiFePo type of battery. Also, when I try to use the preconfigured choice of Li battery, the same thing happens

Should it not start with and maintain a constant voltage at the parameter I set in the advanced user selection of the app e.g. 14.6v? I thought LiFePo batteries required a constant voltage and constant current to charge correctly, not an bulk-absorption-float curve like a lead acid battery?

battery chargingLithium BatteryVictronConnectip65
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

This is how battery charging works.

In Bulk stage the battery is charged at constant current, until the battery voltage reaches the set Absorption voltage.

From there the charger maintains that Absorption voltage (constant voltage stage).

After the Absorption stage the charger switches to the lower Float voltage (in Float stage).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows