question

jrpark22000 avatar image
jrpark22000 asked

Skylla ip65 stuck on "boot" during upgrade to v1.11

I recently purchased a skylla ip65. It's been operating as it should without issue. when using VictronConnect it alerted not all features were supported and to upgrade.

Using VRM and Remote Firmware Upgrade, I initiated an upgrade from v1.10 to v1.11. Within a short period (I was not timing it) VRM errored out. The device then was "not connected" on my cerbo gx. Looking at the unit it's flashing "boot".

I've found the one other question and the answer was an offending device on the ve.can network.

I've connected the skylla to the gx with no other devices on ve.can and power cycled the device (pulled both ac input and dc output) then waited 20min.

I've also disconnected the skylla from all ve.can and power cycled (pulled both ac input and dc output) then waited 20min.

The skylla is still stuck "boot" flashing and won't connect to the GX.

I did successfully upgrade both my shunt and energy meter using the same VRM Remote Firmware upgrade immediately prior to this failed upgrade. All devices are off the same GX.

How can I recover this device which appears to be stuck in a boot loop?

firmware updateSkyllavrm firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @jrpark22000

Although the Skylla is not visible on the GX device, the firmware update page on VRM should still show the skylla and provide the possibility to update the device, as it uses a separate scanning stage to detect even devices that are in their bootloader.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jrpark22000 avatar image
jrpark22000 answered ·
2 |3000

jrpark22000 avatar image
jrpark22000 answered ·

Thank you for the reply @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) !

Yes, the IP65 does show up after a scan in the VRM firmware update after a scan. It shows up as a IP44, but does list v1.11 as the latest firmware. It also shows up in the "ve.can device" list on the gx but shows as "--" model name.

After clicking the firmware update, it errors with; Error Message: vup-2

I then typed all the above message, cleared the error box which refreshed the firmware page. It again found the device. I tired firmware update again to record what stage it errors and it succeed!

The device is back online. Thank you!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Skylla-IP65 product page (12v, 24v)

Skylla-i product page (24v)

Skylla-TG Charger product page (24v, 48v)

Skylla-TG GMDSS product page (24v)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VRM: Remote firmware update

Remotely Update VE.Direct Firmware

VictronConnect manual / Firmware updates

Updating a Victron Smart Solar MPPT Charge Controller with Victron Connect

VictronConnect configuration guide for VE.Bus products - Firmware Updates

Updating VE.Bus firmware, using VEFlash (Depreciated)