question

jestron avatar image
jestron asked

victron connect app (android 13) fails to reconnect mqtt after some idling - R2 error

following issue is perhaps known already:

the connect app being connected to a smart solar 250/60 via vrm.

after some minutes with the connect app in the background it fails to reconnect. re-opening the smart solar leads to an error finally.

a new connection is only possible after closing and reopening of the app.

VRMVictronConnectMQTTbug report
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
jestron avatar image
jestron answered ·

Does it only happen to me!?

The error reads "Unable to connect to the RPC broker.. Error Code: #R2"

I prepared a screenshot.

screenshot-2023-09-29-11-58-03-47-30b6efbd53acd6f2.jpg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jestron avatar image
jestron answered ·

Oh, I forgot the version: VictronConnect v5.96.

The issue appeared in previous versions already, but I regarded it as too obvious it would survive an upgrade.

The issue appears when connected via vrm/installation/devices. Leaving the app open and idling in the background leads to "#R2".

I will re-check and report the behaviour in a local (bluetooth) connection.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

jestron avatar image jestron commented ·
Sorry to disturb the glory, issue is still present, see above ;-)
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Thanks for the report @jestron. - I'll pass it on to the developers.

5 comments
2 |3000

jestron avatar image jestron commented ·
update: current version 5.97 of victron connect shows the same behaviour.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ jestron commented ·
Current version should be 5.99
0 Likes 0 ·
jestron avatar image jestron nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Oh, my fault: v5.99 reconnects fine. Thanks! I just missed the upgrade.
0 Likes 0 ·
jestron avatar image jestron nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

I was too fast in accepting: the issue still appears in v5.99!

Let me explain how to reproduce:

a) In victron connect (up to v5.99) Connect to an installation via VRM. A progress bar counts from 20% to 100%, after which the connection is active.

b) Put the app in the background, without closing it. Use your phone, lock your phome, wait for some minutes.

c) Open up the app from Android current apps. Now, the "MQTT-RPC" error dialog appears instead of the progress bar. (screenshot above)

d) Solution: stop the app by pushing out of Android current apps and restart. Now connection starts up ok.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ jestron commented ·
Hi @jestron,

There is a fix coming for this, a change to how the MQTT requests are routed, which is also a necessary improvement for other issues as well.

I would expect it to be resolved by the new year. Apologies, and workarounds until then.

0 Likes 0 ·
Nicholas Rotenko avatar image
Nicholas Rotenko answered ·

I have the same problem on Windows 10.

2 |3000

Nicholas Rotenko avatar image
Nicholas Rotenko answered ·

Shutting down VictronConnect and starting up again works.

2 |3000

Related Resources