question

clubbers avatar image
clubbers asked

DC chargers/converters to charge lithium on boat and current

I want to charge my 24v lithium house bank on my boat from my 12v start battery. First I was thinking of Sterling b2b, but heard bad things about it (too hot, plastics melting, remote expensive etc).
So I was thinking about Orion Tr Smart, or normal Orion dc-dc converter . But then I realized that since my bank is HUGE they will blow up? Or will they limit themselves to their max output and work just fine? (or work fine but very hot)

Left is the DC to DC buck converter, which as I understand has a current limiter also.
Am I thinking right?

2nd, regardless of which one, if my lithiums has max charge at let's say 28,8 (14,4x2) I could set the output voltage at 28,4, and they would never overcharge?

Lithium Batteryorion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

looking at the spec's for the Orion chargers, they are current limited, and can be used for charging the Lithium house bank.Units can be operated in parallel. Setting back the charge voltage by 0.5V is a good idea, however, you would also have to link the charger remote on/off to the BMS charge enable output, in order to shut down the charger if cells get out of balance at high SOC. BMS units balancing current is typically about 1A or so, so if you are charging above this level, the BMS would not be able to keep a particular cell below the limit voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.