question

warren-b avatar image
warren-b asked

VRM Consumption Calculation Error on a Split Phase System

There seems to be an error in the consumption calculations and historical data in my VRM portal. An inconsistent amount of power, that based on my best guess, is unaccounted for power that has actually been consumed by the "DC Power" system and the overhead of running the inverters. I am not sure if this is due to an error in the VRM programming or in one of the equipment settings somewhere in my system (which is only a month old). My other concern is that the VRM is not taking into account both inverters in this split phase system.

I have a 24V 400Ah LiPO battery bank, which means I have roughly 9.6kWh of energy storage. I am using that as the basis for comparing what is and isn't being accounted for. I have read the VRM FAQ and understand that the "DC Power" that is reported in the live view is a calculated number based on the difference between what the inverters are using/generating, the MPPT is generating, and the amount of energy flowing across the shunt. There is no additional equipment wired between the battery bank and the shunt and I have confirmed with an ammeter that the live reporting of what is actively being consumed by the "DC Power" system and the inverters is accurate.

Here is an example of a 24 hour period in which the SOC is nearly the same at the beginning and end, but there is over 3kWh of produced power that isn't accounted for:

screen-shot-2021-03-22-at-111845-pm.jpg

Here is the time during that same 24 hour period in which the batteries were not being charged by the SmartSolar MPPT, and almost 1kWh of consumption is unaccounted for based on the change in SOC:

screen-shot-2021-03-22-at-101306-pm.jpg

Here is the time during the 24 hour period in which the SmartSolar MPPT was charging the batteries, and it seems that 1.8kWh of consumption is unaccounted for:

screen-shot-2021-03-22-at-101905-pm.jpg

Here are the battery bank settings I currently have programmed in my Lynx Shunt per Battleborn's instructions:

screen-shot-2021-03-23-at-121817-am.jpg

My system equipment and firmware versions are as follows:

8 x Battleborn 12V LiPO batteries (configured as a 24V 400Ah bank)

2 x Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70 (Firmware: 481, VE.Bus version: 2712481)

1 x Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/85 (Firmware: v3.04)

1 x Victron Orion 24/12-70

2 x Victron Lynx Distributor (used on both sides of shunt)

1 x Victron Lynx Shunt VE.Can (Firmware: v1.08)

1 x Victron Cerbo GX (Firmware: v2.63)

1 x Victron GX Touch 50

Since "DC Power" is not a measured number does that mean it is not reflected at all in the VRM historical data? Is the consumed power recorded in the VRM only the AC power supplied by the inverters? Is it possible to have the total DC power consumed by the entire system be the number recorded in the VRM portal as "Consumption?"

I would greatly appreciate some input from anyone who might be able to help. I know @Teun Lassche (Victron Energy Staff) has recently been answering questions about the VRM Portal.

Thanks!

VRMlynx shunt
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

warren-b avatar image warren-b commented ·

Hey @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager),

If you are going to edit my post removing tags attempting to get some help from a Victron employee, could you at least add at least one of someone who can help?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

VRM login page

VRM documentation

VRM API documentation

How to change the Owner of a VRM installation

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic