question

Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos asked

Improving bluetooth range of SmartSolar 100/20

Hi all

I have a SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 in my camping trailer. The battery and controller is housed in a aluminium box.

I find that the bluetooth range when using either my iPhone or Macbook is very limited, I must stand inside of the camper right next to the battery box for it to connect to the VictronConnect app. If I just move 2 - 3 meters away then I'm unable to connect.

This is slightly annoying, I thought that I would at least be able to connect while standing outside of the camper or even while driving and towing it.

I suspect the aluminium enclosure is the problem here basically blocking the bluetooth signal. Do you think it will help if I drill a hole in the battery box, will this maybe allow the signal to get out better? Or does anyone maybe have another idea keeping in mind that relocation of the SmartSolar is not a option.

Thanks

Nick

VictronConnectBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Using an external Bluetooth dongle was an appropriate solution in this similar situation.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/4520/extending-the-bluetooth-on-my-smartsolar-mppt-1005.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Luit Jan avatar image
Luit Jan answered ·

Mmmm I have both the MPPT 100/20 and the MPPT 75/10, The 75/10 connects from a great distance but (as @bigboy529 Nick wrote) I have to stand next to the 100/20 to connect. This is strange. Has it to do with the chassis of the equipment?Both MPPT's are in the same room distance 1,5 meter. Luit Jan

2 |3000