question

Bill avatar image
Bill asked

Extending the Bluetooth range on my SmartSolar MPPT 100/50

My Smartsolar 100/50 is mounted at the rear of my coach just behind the battery compartment. That said its probably 25-30' from the main living area where I would like to be able to check the controller via the VC app on my phone. As its mounted inside a metal compartment that is probably acting a lot like a faraday cage the range of the BT is pretty short. If I stand in the coach at the rear, literally right above it I can use the app just fine. Move a few feet forward and it almost never can see the controller, and if it does, it cannot sync with it.

I would like to extend the BT connection to be useful while I am in the livingroom. My local VE dealer thought a GX was overkill for such a small system but I thought it might work for my situation. I have read everything I could find but have not seen anything but wifi connectivity mentioned and that seems like it would only be to one of my internal Access points to allow it to go to the internet.

My question is can the BMV 712 smart monitor connect via a wire to my Smart MPPT 100/50? If so can I then see both the controller information and the 712 monitor information? Or would I still need to go to the back of the RV to see all the controller information I can see now when I am close to it?

I was also told I cannot add a BT Dongle that I could bring up inside the RV as there would probably be a conflict. Although I don't think anyone has tested that.

It would be hard to imagine I would be the only large RV owner that would have this BT range issue. I know a lot of folks in diesel pushers that have the batteries mounted all the way in the back of the coach.

TIA,

-Bill

MPPT ControllersBluetooth
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I will test adding the external bluetooth dongle to the SmartSolar and see if there is any obvious issues and report back.

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill avatar image Bill Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Very Cool! I guess the 712 won't help then. :(

0 Likes 0 ·
10 Answers
Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

Just thought I would follow up and let folks know I added the Bluetooth Dongle to my 100/50 Smarth Solar controller and ran it up into the coach where the cable allowed it to be around 4' off the floor in the rear cabinet. I can now connect to that controller via that dongle from about 40' away in the driver seat. Mission Accomplished! As Guy mentioned adding the dongle allowed me to connect to either the built in BT or the BT Dongle. (I named them differently to make it easy to know where I was) Sure wish there was an extension cable to allow it a little higher and to have better placement for the cable run. -Bill

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Great news.

I have wanted that extension cable myself on a few occasions.

How long do you think? 1.5M? 3M?

I'll make a note and raise it when I get a chance.

Not Victron-Approved at all either, but in some cases I have cut, soldered, heat-shrunk and inserted an extension in-line. It's a job, but it worked.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I tested an external Bluetooth dongle for about 10 minutes on a 100/20 SmartSolar. I was able to connect, update firmware, change settings, view history and it worked without any issues appearing.

Both units were visible in the selection screen, I did not try and join both at the same time with different devices.

2 |3000

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

Thanks Guy!!! Am I correct to think that the BMV-712 wouldn't extend the bluetooth? Its a lot more money than a dongle but if it would extend it too I might want to go that route. I have read all I can find on your site and watched a bunch of youtube videos. Its difficult to tell if that even plugs into the SS 100/50 or how it might interact. Thanks Again.. -Bill

1 comment
2 |3000

The BMV will not extend the Bluetooth range of the SmartSolar.

There is no effect plugging them together, they are not designed for it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

I would buy any length you could get made. 1-5 meters 1.5 or 3 meters would work! Where do I mail the payment? :) -Bill

2 |3000

Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos answered ·

Does the BT dongle come with a short cable or do you plug it directly in to the Smart Solar controller? I have the same problem, I can only access my Smart Solar controller when I stand right over the metal battery box, but if I move even 6ft away it loses connection.

2 |3000

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

It cable is about 5' long thats built into the dongle. I drilled a hole in the top of my Inverter metal cabinet and was able to get it up about 4' above the inside floor of the RV. But that cord runs right up the middle of a small cabinet that its at floor level. I need it longer so I can get it out of the way of anything that gets shoved into that cabinet. Since its right at the floor, we aren't going to look into there to miss the cabling. If I cannot get a extension I will need to build a small bulkhead in there to prevent it from getting yanked on. -Bill

PS. I wouldn't have thought putting the controller into the battery compartment itself would be good for it. All the battery vapors and such would eventually corrode things.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

If you want a longer connection cable, then you could cut the existing cable and extend it by adding another 3 mtr length of wire. there should be no problems even at a 5mtr extension

Same as a extension cable (best to solder the connections if you do this)

2 |3000

deandavis1 avatar image
deandavis1 answered ·

Could you please provide some detail on what dongle you bought and the connection to a SmartSolar controller. As far as I can see there is only a proprietary port?

1 comment
2 |3000

dworkin avatar image dworkin commented ·

I think that in Marketing Speak this is said to be creating an 'Integrated eco-system'. In other words keeping competitors out of Victron's add-on market

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

This is what I bought from my local Victron Dealer. I thought it was their only BT dongle so I am not sure if this answers your question. -Bill

Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle

VIC-BT-DONGLE

$49.30

2 |3000

deandavis1 avatar image
deandavis1 answered ·

ahhh thanks

2 |3000