question

robertsonics avatar image
robertsonics asked

MPPT SmartSolar and Orion-TR Smart charge disconnect

As the title says, I have a SmartSolar MPPT Charger and a VE.Bus BMS, to which I have just added a Smart Orion-TR Non-Isolated Charger. I currently already have a VE.Direct non inverting remote on-off cable to connect the BMS charge disconnect output to the MPPT VE.Direct interface. Now I want to also control the Orion-TR via the BMS charge disconnect.

Can the digital charge disconnect output of the VE.Bus BMS drive both the input of the Orion-TR remote on/off and the input of VE-Direct non-inverting cable module? In other words, can I leave the non-inverting remote on/off cable plugged into the BMS and simply add a wire from the BMS to the Orion?

MPPT SmartSolarchargerorion-tr smartve.bus bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @robertsonics,

yes that's absolutely possible and I do it the same way.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robertsonics avatar image robertsonics commented ·

Thanks for the confirmation. Appreciated.

Do you know of an easy way to test it by forcing the BMS to assert charge disconnect? Maybe you've already done that?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ robertsonics commented ·

Yes. Simply disconnect one of the BTV M8 cables from the BMS. This should trigger it.

Another way is to set the Allowed-to-charge minimum temperature to 1-2° above ambient temperature.

0 Likes 0 ·