question

robertsonics avatar image

MPPT SmartSolar and Orion-TR Smart charge disconnect

As the title says, I have a SmartSolar MPPT Charger and a VE.Bus BMS, to which I have just added a Smart Orion-TR Non-Isolated Charger. I currently already have a VE.Direct non inverting remote on-off cable to connect the BMS charge disconnect output to the MPPT VE.Direct interface. Now I want to also control the Orion-TR via the BMS charge disconnect.

Can the digital charge disconnect output of the VE.Bus BMS drive both the input of the Orion-TR remote on/off and the input of VE-Direct non-inverting cable module? In other words, can I leave the non-inverting remote on/off cable plugged into the BMS and simply add a wire from the BMS to the Orion?

mppt smart solarBMSorion-tr smartchargers
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie avatar image
Stefanie answered ·

Hi @robertsonics,

yes that's absolutely possible and I do it the same way.

2 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks for the confirmation. Appreciated.

Do you know of an easy way to test it by forcing the BMS to assert charge disconnect? Maybe you've already done that?

Yes. Simply disconnect one of the BTV M8 cables from the BMS. This should trigger it.

Another way is to set the Allowed-to-charge minimum temperature to 1-2° above ambient temperature.