question

llubi avatar image
llubi asked

[CERBO GX] GUI on serial to extend the distance between screen and cerbo

Hello all!

I have a Cerbo GX connected to all my van, but from the Cerbo to a place where the screen can be, it's not possible anymore to send the HDMI+USB cable for the touchscreen, so I'm looking at other possible options.
I started using a raspberry pi with a web browser to http://venus.local but it's not as good as i want it to be, so now I'm looking at the possibility to send the GUI information using the serial connection from the Cerbo (TTL -> USB).

Is that possible? Can I send all the graphic and touch information in the 3 serial wires?

Other options?

Thanks!

Albert.

cerbo gxVenus OSgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @llubi,

The USB is only for power to the screen, so that should be fairly easy to source from a seperate supply closer to where you want the screen. You don't need to run USB from the Cerbo.

It is possible, but not supported, to use an HDMI extension cable, make sure it is a passive cable. They are typically available up to about 15 feet, which should be enough for your van run.

When I say it is not supported, if you are having issues with your system, reconnect the screen directly to the Cerbo to make sure the issues aren't because of the extension cable BEFORE you contact your supplier for help.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @llubi,

this is not possible. As the name serial 'console' implies, it's just that, a console without any graphical functionality.

2 |3000

llubi avatar image
llubi answered ·

Thank you all,

Problem is not only the distance from Cerbo to Screen, is also that vehicle is finished and we didn't though in passing an HDMI cable, there's just a LAN cable, 2 of them, with RJ45 and RJ12 connectors.
So I think the best way is to look for a HDMI to RJ45 converter, if it exists and works, because the HDMI to wireless are too expensives and too energy eaters :(

Thanks!

2 comments
2 |3000

They do exist, I haven’t tested one where the touch continues to work reliably. Display should be ok though.

0 Likes 0 ·
llubi avatar image llubi Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I found them, from 3 to 140€ so will buy something in the middle and test it. Will post in the future for if someone has the same problem.

THANKS!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources