question

habi avatar image
habi asked

Help with simple Off-Grid Setup 48v EasySolar + LiFePo4

Hello,

i'm starting my plans about a simple off-grid solar setup, built around EasySolar 48/5000 and LiFePo4 Batteries.

My goal of the setup is to have one normal european AC 230V-16A output, so that i can plug in for example a washing machine (most of them reach 3200W while heating the water), or simply all electronic products suitable for AC 230V outlets. That is why i chose the EasySolar 48/5000, that offers around the wattage necessary. Also the ability to load this with an external power source. So this is fix.

About the size of the batteries, i am not sure yet if i need double Ah, or if 100Ah is enough, but this is easy to exchange, when i know that all other components are in a correct setup.

I would really appreciate someone looking at the simple setup plan to check:

- if all the components kind of fit and work together,

- if some important parts are missing,

- if it could be simpler or less components (= cheaper, but i dont think so, its super simple already),

- what special connection cables i need, that dont come with the main products,

- is a 250A Fuse behind the batteries right? (the BatteryProtect has a Maximum Peak Current of 250A so i figured this would be fine...)

I am new to Lithium-Batteries and the VE.Bus BMS, so especially there i am not sure, if all connections are correct. Or if the VE.Bus BMS is the right BMS for me... Also i saw inverted and non-inverted remote cables. What do i need?

- do i need something like a battery balancer? it seems to me that it does not make sense with Lithium-Batteries...or am i wrong?

Im looking forward to someone leaving a statement to this setup and my questions.

Thanks in advance :)solarsetup1.jpg

Lithium BatteryEasySolar All-in-OneBattery Protectsmart solar set-up helpve.bus bms
solarsetup1.jpg (205.8 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Make sure your solar array can produce the necessary voltage. You need a minimum of 48+5=53 volts to start up the MPPT charge controller inside the EasySolar.

One string of batteries is limited to 200 amps maximum continuous discharge current (100 amps recommended maximum), so that could be an issue. It depends on the loads you plan to run off the Multi. Staying under the 100 amps recommended means you have around 4,300 watts to work with.

The Victron spec sheet says you don't need a battery balancer for up to 4 12-volt batteries in series.

0 Likes 0 ·
habi avatar image habi Kevin Windrem commented ·

Hi, thank you a lot for your answer. With the solar panels i will make sure to have the right, acually highest possible voltage before exeeding the maximum.. setting up the panels i did before.

but thank you a lot for the hint with the maximum Amps of the battery string! i didnt notice this.

i checked the datasheet of the easysolar 48/5000, there it says for the inverter: max continous power 4000w, peak power 10.000w. since i dont want to exceed the continous power except for short start moments, this should meet well with the recommended discharge power of the battery sting, wich would be 4800w recommended and 9600w peak, that i really dont plan on having as continous discharge.

also thank you for the balancer information. you have any clue, which are the correct cables for the BMS connection to protect and to the charger?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Smart battery protect are unsuitable for inverter-chargers and inverters.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

habi avatar image habi commented ·

hey, thank you for your information, but could you specify a little bit?

is it just the "smart" protect that doesnt go well with the inverter/charger? which one should i use then?

or is it something like, if i do not use any direct 12v loads, then i dont need the battery protect at all, because i could just make the BMS turn the inverter off in case of low battery voltage?!?

i would be very thankful when you explain your point once again :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources