question

danierichter avatar image
danierichter asked

4WD Battery Box

Hi , I'm building a battery box which will be removed from the vehicle, and charged off solar, when camping. I'm fitting a MPPT 75/15 solar controller to the battery box to control solar charging and loads while camping, and will be hard-wiring the controller to the battery.

When in the vehicle, the battery will charge off the alternator via a uni-directional voltage sensing relay.

Question: Do I need to isolate the solar controller from the battery while it is being charged off the alternator, or is it OK to just leave it connected to the battery in parallel? (No loads will be connected to the controller while it is in the vehicle).

If I have to disconnect it, would normally-closed 30A horn relay in the + line between the battery and the regulator do the trick? The trigger current for switching the relay (to break the battery-controller + connection) would come form the battery box connection point to the alternator circuit. I could also do this with a manual switch, but would prefer to automate it. One less thing to forget.

Thanks a lot!

Danie

battery chargingBattery Protectsolarsmart solar set-up help
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daniel1957 avatar image daniel1957 commented ·

"When in the vehicle, the battery will charge off the alternator via a uni-directional voltage sensing relay. " - no this will not charge it properly, you need a DC to DC charger...

0 Likes 0 ·
danierichter avatar image danierichter daniel1957 commented ·

@ Daniel1957 Thank you for the opinion, Daniel. I am aware of the debate.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

You can leave the MPPT connected - no problem.

However there will be a very small current draw. If you use the car regularly it would not be worth worrying about.

PS. The current draw is that small that it doesn't even register on my battery monitor...

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danierichter avatar image danierichter commented ·

Thanks Mark. That keeps it nice and simple. d

0 Likes 0 ·
danierichter avatar image
danierichter answered ·

@Mark Thanks a lot, Mark.

1 comment
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

No worries - all the best with it & happy camping!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BatteryProtect product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic