question

Isaac Shannos avatar image
Isaac Shannos asked

Cerbo GX with 4 ve direct connections?

Hello,

I have a job existing with 3 MPPTs connected with a Cerbo GX and need to add in a shunt.

Reading the online manual for the Cerbo GX it only supports 3 ve.direct devices due to cpu power limitaions, but my supplier said a 4th one running off the usb to ve direct will work.

The lynx shunt is too exspensive and not practical here. Should I get the depricated vbc ve.net shunt or go for the 4th ve.direct to usb connection?

"The listed maximum on the `Performance` section in above table is the total connected VE.Direct devices such as MPPT Solar Charge controllers. Total means all directly connected devices plus the devices connected over USB. The limit is mostly bound by CPU processing power. Note that there is also a limit to the other type of devices of which often multiple are connected: PV Inverters. Up to three or four three phase inverters can typically be monitored on a CCGX. Higher power CPU devices can monitor more. "

Or am I interpreting this note incorrectly?

cerbo gxVE.DirectVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Isaac Shannos,

Reading the note on the GX product overview I can see the confusion.

To clarify - the Cerbo GX only has 3 physical VE.Direct interface ports. However the Cerbo GX has the CPU performance to connect up to ~15 VE.Direct devices (via USB) - the exact total depends on other connected equipment - but that isn't the question here.

I will update the note now to clarify.

In your case I would DEFINITELY go for the 4th VE.Direct connection device over any VE.net accessories - which should be considered end of life and depreciated.

I would put the BMV or SmartShunt on the VE.Direct port, and one of the MPPTs into the USB port farthest away from the HDMI port on the Cerbo GX (via a VE.direct to USB adapter). If you need to extend this, you will need to extend from the USB side, not the VE.Direct side (as we don't make a VE.direct extension cable).

There is more specific info in the Cerbo GX manual itself under the title "Connecting more VE.Direct devices to your Cerbo GX than number of VE.Direct Ports" - But I see now that also needs to be updated to be clearer - working on that now but it will take some time to be reflected in the manual.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike4nl avatar image mike4nl commented ·

That Option works 100% over an USB too.

Then, these are the options on how to connect more VE.Direct products than available VE.Direct ports:

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Horseman avatar image Paul Horseman commented ·

Hi, I can’t see the text you refer to –

There is more specific info in the Cerbo GX manual itself under the title "Connecting more VE.Direct devices to your Cerbo GX than number of VE.Direct Ports" –

Can you confirm the location please.

I need to connect 4 of Victron BlueSolar SMART CHARGE Controller MPPT 100/20 to my Cerbo GX. I have restricted cable access an plan to use. 4 VE-Direct to USB cables from the MPPT’s to a good quality USB Hub. An additional USB cable will the be installed to the Cerbo GX which is about 6m from the MPPT’s.

Will this configuration allow the GX Display show the combined solar charge?

Thanks, Paul

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Paul Horseman commented ·

It is in this linked section - second paragraph - https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/installation.html#UUID-d0c1e103-df9e-4691-b369-33d047b01491

Yes, what you described should be fine. But always prioritise using the native ve.direct ports first.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Horseman avatar image Paul Horseman Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Great - Thanks for your prompt help
1 Like 1 ·